Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 11:19:45 PM EDT
Mercedes E55 or E63?

Anyone have experience with either or both and care to comment on which they prefer and why?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
as a guy that has worked on MB for 33 years I would say go E55 out of those two choices. Its a simpler car,with fewer gadgets that break. The best motors MB ever built was the 112/113.
Tough car that will last a lifetime with reasonable care
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks! Appreciate the input, kinda how I have been leaning too......
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The e55 is less reliable in my experience.  The intercooler system and supercharger clutch are both failure prone and expensive.  Usually with an e55 it's a lot of little problems that are expensive to fix.  It also has the sbc brake system which by now, most are out of warranty.  $2000 for a supercharger pulley was enough to cure me of wanting one anymore.  

The 63 is more reliable with two major caveats.  One is the early engines have a nasty habit of digging holes through the lifters and ultimately exploding the engine.  The other is the transmission valve body or control unit fails.  Providing you buy a cared for example, that stuff may have already been repaired and you'll get a better car out of it.

Driving the two, the e55 has better torque.  The 63 sounds better, is faster, and a multitude of other  improvements make it the better car.  It will likely prove to be less expensive to operate.  7000 rpm is more fun than the neck snapping torque of the 55.    They are both fun, both fast.  I just find the 63 to be the better car which carries the advantage of simplicity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top