Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 7:24:39 PM EDT
Yesterday I was in a rush to get to work so for about 15 min or so I was making strong stops in the city.  Toward the end of the ride I noticed I would slide forward noticeably more when I would come to a stop.  Was that just in my head or do brakes fail when the rotors get too hot?

Brakes worked fine later on and today.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was in a rush to get to work so for about 15 min or so I was making strong stops in the city.  Toward the end of the ride I noticed I would slide forward noticeably more when I would come to a stop.  Was that just in my head or do brakes fail when the rotors get too hot?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Yep, brakes fade.

If the rotors and pads are getting hot enough to fade, you're gonna start warping the rotors.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, brakes fade.

If the rotors and pads are getting hot enough to fade, you're gonna start warping the rotors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yep, brakes fade.

THis ^
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They can. Under heavy braking and while hauling heavy loads.

brakes
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
also, depending on the age and how long ago the brake fluid was changed, you can lose all braking if there is enough "water" to brake fluid in the system.

I have seen it when someone who had never changed the fluid over 10 years came complaining about how the pedal went to the floor and they had to pump them up to get them to stop after heavy braking for an extended period.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI

brake fade
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
also, depending on the age and how long ago the brake fluid was changed, you can lose all braking if there is enough "water" to brake fluid in the system.

I have seen it when someone who had never changed the fluid over 10 years came complaining about how the pedal went to the floor and they had to pump them up to get them to stop after heavy braking for an extended period.
View Quote

Rotors and Ultimax pads are about a month old.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If they get too hot the brake fluid will boil and you lose hydrologic pressure for the brakes. Usually our breaks will be burning before you get there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Brakes overheat from long braking like going down a hill from heavy loads, not a few hard stops in town. Could be the new pads are harder than the old pads making it take a bit more pressure to apply.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

new pads and rotors don't mean new fluid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
It also depends on the pads installed.  Some are designed to offer better stopping at higher temperatures, others the opposite.  If they are made for stop and go driving in passenger cars and they exceed their operating temperature, they will lose effectiveness.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If they get too hot the brake fluid will boil and you lose hydrologic pressure for the brakes. Usually our breaks will be burning before you get there.
View Quote

And this kids, is the number one reason not to post while on acid...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they get too hot the brake fluid will boil and you lose hydraulic pressure for the brakes. Usually our breaks will be burning before you get there.

are you telling me, break fluid can't boil? Gas can be compressed while fluid doesn't. your fluid becomes gas and your brake pedal now becomes very mushy.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

This.  You have to bleed the brake system to get new fluid.  Changing brakes does not require bleeding the brake system.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
are you telling me, break fluid can't boil? Gas can be compressed while fluid doesn't. your fluid becomes gas and your brake pedal now becomes very mushy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they get too hot the brake fluid will boil and you lose hydraulic pressure for the brakes. Usually our breaks will be burning before you get there.

Where do you buy break fluid? I need more at work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Any auto parts store will have it. Dot 3 and 4 are interchangeable, only their boiling points are different, but for a daily driver it won't matter much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any auto parts store will have it. Dot 3 and 4 are interchangeable, only their boiling points are different, but for a daily driver it won't matter much.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Brake fluid, when it hasn't been changed for a long time can boil.
it will have too much water contaminating it and lowers the boiling point.

many people never bother to change fluids in their cars.

if you can't see through it, you have a problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are so wrong, DOT 4 is for brake systems with natural rubber pasts, most European cars use natural rubber. Japanese and most Domestic vehicles use synthetic rubber and use DOT 3. Boiling points are very close together.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
they are backwards compatible. perhaps is the better term than interchangable.

you can use dot 4 on a dot 3 system.

just like you can use dot 5 on either. but it is not recommended for heavy driving since it can hold air bubbles longer and cause problems. but it is meant for collector type cars as it isn't as bad on paint if you spill it or spray it due to a leak.

5.1 is totally different again, but all of them are backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Dot 5 can't be mxed with 3 or 4 . It will gel up. Dot 5 is silicone based and dot3&4 are ethylene glycol based.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dot 5 can't be mxed with 3 or 4 . It will gel up. Dot 5 is silicone based and dot3&4 are ethylene glycol based.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I had the brakes on my mustang complely gone at one point many years ago.  Too many times to 100 mph and back down in a short time.  It's a scary experience.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I almost shit my pants in Panama from overheated brakes. I can assure anyone in doubt from first hand experience that brakes will fail when overheated. Also Automatics are a death sentence in steep Central American mountains.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, factory brakes on my 1990 Talon Tsi were BAAD to fade when slowing from a high speed. 140mph to about 90mph they were good, but by 80mph you were standing on them to continue to slow down quickly.

Upgraded to later model dual piston and larger drilled & slotted rotors with better pads, now she's good to go! (On the street and drag strip anyway, circuit type racing they would still fade I'm sure. BTW don't use any cheap drilled rotors, they have been know to crack and brake causing the wheel to lock up, resulting in a crash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top