Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 6:07:42 PM EDT
Always wanted a Ranger as DD, but not enough interior space. We've had a few Explorers in the family and I love working on them, they have all been 200K+ mile rigs - my current old Sport has 270K on it. So as an alternative to the Ranger I've been looking at used Explorer Sport Tracs, and would like the older model made through 03-05.

These all have the SOHC 4.0 V6. I knew about the problems with the timing chain tensioners and guides on early production runs of the SOHC, but I've seen a few comments that even after Ford revised the design of the chain tensioners and guides in 02+, there are still some failures.

Have any of you guys experienced a timing chain failure on an 02+ SOHC 4.0?

Would love to hear that some of you have high mileage SOHCs. I love the old OHV 4.0, it's a dead reliable beast. Wish Ford hadn't screwed up the SOHC redesign.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had two Explorers that had that engine, and neither had any engine-related problems. I ran an 02 up to around 105k and an 05 up to around 120k. Most vehicles perish around 80k in my hands :)
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
05 4.0 sohc here. 151k on it. The only problems I've had with the motor were
The plastic thermostat housing cracked and the harmonic balancer seperated.
The thermostat housings are a known point of failure however it is a pretty straight
Forward and simple repair. The harmonic balancer is a known problem as well
However less common than the thermostat housings failing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
two sport tracs here. 2003 and 2004. The 03 has 100,000 no engine issues. 04 has 160,000. no engine issues.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The thermostat housings are a known point of failure however it is a pretty straight
View Quote

Just curious how the harmonic balancer failure manifests. Does it cause crank position codes? Is the separation visible?

I'm going to start looking at some used Sport Tracs and want to know what to look for.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
two sport tracs here. 2003 and 2004. The 03 has 100,000 no engine issues. 04 has 160,000. no engine issues.
View Quote

Curious if you have them at standard height or lifted? I plan to add shackles (maybe AAL) to the rear and TT on the front to match. Not going to run much bigger tires than stock, I just want the additional frame height.

If you did the shackles/TT is the ride much stiffer than stock?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just curious how the harmonic balancer failure manifests. Does it cause crank position codes? Is the separation visible?

I'm going to start looking at some used Sport Tracs and want to know what to look for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed the rubber on mine was looking a bit suspect then about a week later it shit the bed.
No Cps codes however they can take out the Cps and if it does, you will know. Fortunately
There is an aftermarket harmonic balance which if I remember righ was about 190 dollars,
I replaced my oem one with a aftermarket one and it has been fine thus far.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Had an 03 Explorer XLT that I sold with 165k on it. Heat shield on the cat converter started to rattle until it warmed up, otherwise that engine was solid. Friend that bought it daily drives it but only a couple of miles a day. I changed the oil and air filter every 6k miles and also washed and detailed the engine every 6 months. It sounded and looked brand new when I sold it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife has a '98 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC in it with 284K miles.
The timing chain issue was taken care of with the recall and there have been no problems with the engine.
I wouldn't have any problem with having that engine in any of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Just replaced an engine in an 03 Moutaineer. 4.0 SOHC due to connecting rod break. Engine had 166k on it. Timing chains on both heads looked fine and there was no plastic from the guides in the bottom end at all.   Replaced it with an engine from an 01 explorer, hoping it will hold up since it doesn't have the new timing cassettes in it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an 07 Ranger with the 4.0 L SOHC engine.....97k and just a set of plugs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2002 explorer with ~175k miles.  The timing chain has rattled since about 50k miles.  I just keep driving it because all of the other stuff wrong with it keeps me from spending any more money on it.  The trans went out at 110k, the thermostat housing and fuel pump went out at about 150k, both rear window regulators are broken, it needs a new drivers side window switch, and the AC recently went out.

Eta... I forgot that it also needs upper ball joints on both sides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top