Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 5:11:57 PM EDT
I have a 1995 Miata M, there is some slop between steering wheel and front tires. I can turn the wheel a few degrees to either side before I get a response, what am I looking at? Tie rods and ends? Rack going out?

Is there anything else that I need to change/replace when I replace whatever it is that is causing this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you get under it while a friend turns the wheel? Look at everything while he turns back and forth.

Do you have any clunks or odd sounds when driving?

How many miles and any other steering / suspension work done to it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you get under it while a friend turns the wheel? Look at everything while he turns back and forth.   It's a Miata... a snake couldn't fit under it. Hoping to try a jack this weekend

Do you have any clunks or odd sounds when driving? Just some brake noise

How many miles and any other steering / suspension work done to it? ODO reads 77k. has been lowered by previous owner, don't know what else he mucked with.
View Quote

also owned car for 5 years, and this has only been happening for the last year or so.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Might wanna take a look at your rear end while you are at it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that a subtle Miata ghey joke, or are you saying there may also be issue with the rear end of the vehicle?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that a subtle Miata ghey joke, or are you saying there may also be issue with the rear end of the vehicle?
View Quote

twas a good one.

But yeah, if the guy lowered it you might want to take a good look at the suspension all the way around.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
roger that, it does have a little camber issue, but rear end seamed tight when I did brakes. Its all the voodoo that makes up the front end that scares me. I can get tie rods for like $30, or a rack for like $300
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I meant put it up on stands and have your friend turn the wheels. Clearly miatas are dragging ass and you can't fit under them as they sit

Grab the tie rods and try to wiggle them sideways and up and down. Any play - replace them in my book.

Google how to check ball joints. I can't remember off the top of my head for some reason.

Unless you're leaking fluid or having poor steering performance (IE a lot of effort to turn the wheel) I wouldn't look at the rack as a source of the problem until last.

Perhaps a loose u join in the steering linkage? I know that was a problem with my old car
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top