Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 6:43:12 AM EDT
I'm on a 2013 Tiger right now, but have finally realized I'm just not taking it off road. Not the style of riding I want. I want something that offers better wind protection. I've had 2 gen 1 Connies and loved the, Sold to get a Strom. anyway.

Have you ridden both? Which do you like better, and of course why?  Right now it's between a nicely farkled 2012 Connie with 6000 miles and a 2013 stock FJR with 2700 miles.

The dealer these are at doesnt do test rides, so I'm looking for similar bikes to test before buying.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]

I haven't ridden any of these bikes, but from what I read, the FJR is probaly better.  Esp is you are inseam challenged.  The seat is slightly lower.

You may also want to check out another light sport tourer like the BMW R1100RT or the BMW R1200RT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't ridden any of these bikes, but from what I read, the FJR is probaly better.  Esp is you are inseam challenged.  The seat is slightly lower.

You may also want to check out another light sport tourer like the BMW R1100RT or the BMW R1200RT.
View Quote

Sadly BMW is out of my price range
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I can understand going with a sport cruiser if that is what you want. I also don't know if you have the xc or road. I have the road.

If you are still riding with the stock windshield you are really missing out. That stock shield is one of the worst ever. I have a madstad on mine and it is a different ride completely. In fact I have to adjust it to allow more airflow for the summer it does such a good job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can understand going with a sport cruiser if that is what you want. I also don't know if you have the xc or road. I have the road.

If you are still riding with the stock windshield you are really missing out. That stock shield is one of the worst ever. I have a madstad on mine and it is a different ride completely. In fact I have to adjust it to allow more airflow for the summer it does such a good job.
View Quote

I have the xc. Triumph adjustable windshield, which is wider and taller, and adjusts for angle. I'm wanting more wind protection on legs, and just a different style I guess. I lean toward the FJR as the Connie is quite wide. Need to check numbers, but Connie just looks big.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Tried them in 08 and bought the fjr. Have only changed the fork seals once besides normal filter, plug and fluid changes.  Replacing the plugs was not hard at all. Just did not like the bulky look and styling of the concurs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Both are great bikes, but of the two I prefer the Kwacker........more power, better suspenders, sixth gear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a little seat time on a FJR, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sadly BMW is out of my price range
View Quote

Do a search on craigslist on a BMW R1100RT or R1150RT and come back and let me know if the price is high.

They should be selling lower than a FJR or Concours.

I've seen them as low as 3k to 4k range with decent mileage too.

The BMW R1200RT is newer and will be priced higher.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Both are great bikes, but of the two I prefer the Kwacker........more power, better suspenders, sixth gear.
View Quote

wot he said

Bang for the buck you cannot beat a Connie.

But go find a dealer that does test rides, the good ones do.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Have some riding buddies that have each. The Connie is legit.  The owner is short too (5'6") so inseam shouldn't be too much of annissue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I found a place that has a '12 Connie, '07 FJR, and '08 ST. And will have them all ready to ride Tuesday. I know the Connie is capable, just wondering if I need 1400cc. Is probably be ok with 1200. I looked at the BMW, still like the style of the Japanese bikes more. Can't decide if I like FJR for its more sportbike look, or Connie for its less sportbike. It all comes down to the ride I guess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I found a place that has a '12 Connie, '07 FJR, and '08 ST. And will have them all ready to ride Tuesday. I know the Connie is capable, just wondering if I need 1400cc. Is probably be ok with 1200. I looked at the BMW, still like the style of the Japanese bikes more. Can't decide if I like FJR for its more sportbike look, or Connie for its less sportbike. It all comes down to the ride I guess.
View Quote

No, nobody needs 1400cc on the street, but some salesmen need it on the showroom floor.

You mentioned you had a couple of gen 1 connies - the gen 2 is more of the same, just upgraded.

Biggest issue is seat height. I'm 5'6" w/29" inseam.

Gen 2 is a little tall for me, but rumor has it that the rear suspension can be dropped to compensate.

IMHO, the Connie just cannot be beat on the street.

They go, they stop, they go round corners just fine.

Carry a load - 2up, w/camping gear for 10 days.

Comfortable - I rode straight thru to ATL last summer, 25 hours straight. 1/2 was in rain.

In a previous lifetime, when I was a race school instructor, I would put a student on the back and

do a few laps.

Ah la Reg Pridmore, the ultimate master at 2 up, IMHO.

Diving into Turn 1 at Bridgehampton, tapped out, 2 up, with a peg on the ground was a rush.

Did I mention I like Connies?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's only 54cc difference in displacement between the two bikes (FJR has 1298, Kwackers has 1352cc).

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the Connie on heat? FJR also I guess. My gen 1's were leg cookers in the summer. Tiger gets pretty warm too, especially in slow traffic or sitting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, nobody needs 1400cc on the street, but some salesmen need it on the showroom floor.

You mentioned you had a couple of gen 1 connies - the gen 2 is more of the same, just upgraded.

Gen 2 is a little tall for me, but rumor has it that the rear suspension can be dropped to compensate.

Comfortable - I rode straight thru to ATL last summer, 25 hours straight. 1/2 was in rain.

In a previous lifetime, when I was a race school instructor, I would put a student on the back and
do a few laps.

Diving into Turn 1 at Bridgehampton, tapped out, 2 up, with a peg on the ground was a rush.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do a few laps.

You're my kind of crazy Kiwi
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do a few laps.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Connie, just for the 6 speed transmission alone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I rode 2012 Concours with 2700 miles, 2006 FJR with 29,000 miles, and 2013 FJR with 1500 miles.

All had adjustable windshields and multi function computers.

The Connie had good power, or course. It was, and felt, heavy. Turn in took more effort than I'm used to, and more than I like. ABS worked well.  Throttle roll on felt like it had turbo lag, but no turbo. Seemed like a lot of road and engine noise coming from the fork area. pliable and forgiving suspension, thouh stiffer than the Tiger, as it should be

'06 FJR felt lighter, and is by about 100 lbs. Turn in was easier, but still not as easy as the Tiger or Strom. Not as much power, but seemed to deliver it better. Suspension was soft and possibly worn out. Not happy with it at all.

'13 FJR felt lightest. I dont know if it is. It did have a full tank, the others were about 1/4 full. Seemed most sportbike in handling and suspension. 2 mode engine,  Sport and Touring. Touring probably retards spark a few degrees ABS takes a bit longer than the Tiger, but worked well. I never found the 5 speed lacking up to 95mph.

Overall I really liked the '13 FJR best. I wanted to like the Connie, but it lost a fair fight.

Sitting in the garage:
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice FJR.

As with anything, ya gotta buy the bike that's best for you. If that FJR is it, then you have done very well. Nice ride.

And I've seen some FJR's get their hustle on, leaving sportbikes in their wake. I've got this one buddy who obliterated the Blue Ridge Parkway on one once........

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent choice and congrats on the new scoot!!

I went through the same debate last year, arrived at the same conclusion, and picked up a leftover '14 a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a friend that I ride with that has an FJR.  His bike does great in the curves, and will flat out murder a straight-away.  I really wanted one like it, but went with the DL650 since I don't trust myself with that much fun and power.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Inseam challenged.  I gotta remember that one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
When my Triumph trophy finally goes, I will be getting an FJR.
It will be a fitting replacement for my 86 fj1200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top