Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 3:15:11 PM EDT
Really been looking to pick up a naked standard and saw this 919 pop up. Price seems good but I don't know if the damage is bad. Haven't looked at it in person yet.

Hoping this thread could be a general advice type thread for what to watch out for when buying used bikes and when to walk away. Other than salvage titles are there any other instant deal breakers?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on if you're willing to wrench or not.

I've bought salvage bikes, and since I was willing to put the work in to make them ride-able it wasn't a big deal.

Bent frames or fork tubes are kind of a no go for me. If the front suspension won't compress or the bike dives to one side during braking on the test ride I would walk away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I owned a 919 for awhile...Fun bike but not comfortable for me.
Goes fast (kind of why I sold it).

Good product, last made in 2007 (my 2007 below).
For any bike, bent forks, worn chain/sprockets due to damage (not just wear), rust in tank (mirror and light), odd leaks of fluid, tweeked mounts (shocks, engine), general "I didn't fucking take care of it look"...That's a big one for me..but as posted above, a little wrenching can fix a lot.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at all the frame bends and welds you can see for cracked paint. Cracked paint on any mounting tabs or brackets as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bent frame is generally a no-go in most cases, although if the price is right, they can usually be fixed with a couple of trees, a come-along, and some ingenuity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on if you're willing to wrench or not.

I've bought salvage bikes, and since I was willing to put the work in to make them ride-able it wasn't a big deal.

Bent frames or fork tubes are kind of a no go for me. If the front suspension won't compress or the bike dives to one side during braking on the test ride I would walk away.
View Quote

Not afraid of general wrenching but don't want to deal with bent frames or anything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a bent bike......................to put the engine in my golf cart.  

I am evil in that way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would buy a bent bike......................to put the engine in my golf cart.  

I am evil in that way.
View Quote

I like the way you think. If I could register a shifter cart I would be all over it
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Steering stops. Look at the steering stops.

Even the slightest bit of damage, run away. Quickly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Help me out. Don't think I know what I am looking at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Somewhere on the triple trees and the headstock are metal tabs that prevent the forks from swinging too far in either direction. I would assume that if they are damaged, the bike might have had enough damage to tweak the forks or frame enough to cause problems.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want a naked standard....buy my FZ1

The only thing that needs turning on it is the ignition key and throttle!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You deliver to the Reno area? We might have a deal. Quite a few FZ1's end up for sale here so I may end up with one yet.

I really want a BMW S1000R but the insurance is pretty high and I don't know if I am brave enough to carry just liability on it. I am thinking a used bike in the 5-6k range is a smarter choice right now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You deliver to the Reno area? We might have a deal. Quite a few FZ1's end up for sale here so I may end up with one yet.

I really want a BMW S1000R but the insurance is pretty high and I don't know if I am brave enough to carry just liability on it. I am thinking a used bike in the 5-6k range is a smarter choice right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buyer pays shipping

Only has 3300mi on it
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Buyer pays shipping

Only has 3300mi on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buyer pays shipping

Only has 3300mi on it

I am happy to pay shipping

and I'll give you 4k for the bike
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
At least you're over halfway there with that offer
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't worry about a salvage title to much. I've seen several bikes get totaled from cosmetic issues alone. Bent/cracked frame would be the biggest deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about a salvage title to much. I've seen several bikes get totaled from cosmetic issues alone. Bent/cracked frame would be the biggest deal breaker for me.
View Quote

What worries me is that I am not familiar enough with them to know when it is ok and when it is not.

Speaking of how do you know if the frame is tweaked? Is something you can only tell on a ride?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really been looking to pick up a naked standard and saw this 919 pop up. Price seems good but I don't know if the damage is bad. Haven't looked at it in person yet.

Hoping this thread could be a general advice type thread for what to watch out for when buying used bikes and when to walk away. Other than salvage titles are there any other instant deal breakers?
View Quote

OP, do  you have a link to the ad?

I have a 919, and might be able to give you an idea, if it has pics

-Tim
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

-Tim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Tim

Thought I linked it already, my bad.
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4889625429.html
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Are you looking for a bike to ride, or something that looks good parked outside a bar?

I've bought insurance totals, ripped the bodywork off, bolted on aftermarket plastic,

and GTG.

Bent frames are an automatic total for most insurance companies, as they just dont want the liability.

Frames can be straightened easily, just talk to any Computrack shop. They do it all day long.

Forks, as long as the bend is not too bad, or kinked, can be straightened.

I've even driven a van over a bent fork tube at lunchtime, to make a afternoon race.

Some bikes get demolished, most just get plastic broken in a wreck.

Just depends on your $$$, your mechanical skill, and what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]
As far as my purpose I could go either way depending on what I find. The 919 I found would become my main commuter and replace my VTX. My neighbors would certainly appreciate the quieter bike at 430am

I told myself I would buy a new bike when I sold my house but I am having trouble swallowing the insurance. As far as I am concerned the BMW S1000R was made for me. I went and sat on one and really liked it and love all the features that it comes with. I also like the Speed Triple, Z1000 even though it's ugly and Ninja 1000.

I am going to sit down with my insurance guy and a list of 20 bikes and see if any of them fall through the cracks. I know in the past the FZ1 wasn't too bad but I really want ABS on my next bike.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#22]
My bike still has a clean title.

No, it's not for sale.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll say this, when I was looking at different sport bikes a couple years ago, the FZ1 ended up being the cheapest to insure for me for some reason. I pay 600/year for full coverage. Other bikes like the speed triple, z1000, etc. were double that. Don't know why, but it was one of the biggest reasons I bought the FZ.

Shameless pic:

It's a 2008, bought it with 4000 miles for $5700. It's got a shade over 11k miles now, not a single problem with it. These bikes really are great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll say this, when I was looking at different sport bikes a couple years ago, the FZ1 ended up being the cheapest to insure for me for some reason. I pay 600/year for full coverage. Other bikes like the speed triple, z1000, etc. were double that. Don't know why, but it was one of the biggest reasons I bought the FZ.

Shameless pic:
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/Pdepippo/Mobile%20Uploads/CE69F5EF-C79A-45C8-8B1B-689D6A1D1D5B_zpshleumgce.jpg

It's a 2008, bought it with 4000 miles for $5700. It's got a shade over 11k miles now, not a single problem with it. These bikes really are great.
View Quote

That was my conclusion a couple years ago so if nothing has changed it is very possible I will go that way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What worries me is that I am not familiar enough with them to know when it is ok and when it is not.

Speaking of how do you know if the frame is tweaked? Is something you can only tell on a ride?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compare both sides of the bike closely and check that the swing arm comes straight back and isn't canted to one side. The bikes that I've seen that were in major crashes had fairly obvious signs of it being effed up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
GMD Computrack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
OP......as you can see, salvage title bikes aren't always deal breakers (my race bike was a salvage title and despite a scratched frame was arrow straight) but it seems like your original question has gotten a bit off track.

Your best guide to a bikes condition is your own eyes (thumped stunner bikes are usually pretty obvious, as are oil burners and poorly maintained bikes in general) and your spider senses shouldn't be ignored either.

And have you considered an FZ09? They are pretty sweet, and while not as outrageous as the Bimmer, they are very fun (and a million miles different than your VTX).
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP......as you can see, salvage title bikes aren't always deal breakers (my race bike was a salvage title and despite a scratched frame was arrow straight) but it seems like your original question has gotten a bit off track.

Your best guide to a bikes condition is your own eyes (thumped stunner bikes are usually pretty obvious, as are oil burners and poorly maintained bikes in general) and your spider senses shouldn't be ignored either.

And have you considered an FZ09? They are pretty sweet, and while not as outrageous as the Bimmer, they are very fun (and a million miles different than your VTX).
View Quote

I have looked at the FZ09 for sure. It didn't seem quite as comfortable to me almost like it was too small. I'm a big boy which is one of the reasons I ended up with the VTX(6'2" 285 on a good day)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
It is quite strange that the FZ1 is so cheap to insure.  I'm in my 20's and only pay $32/mo for full coverage on a brand new FZ1.  A CBR1000RR was $265/mo for full coverage

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, the specific bike you listed...

A new tank will run you about $500, but comes with factory paint.

Blinkers are cheap. I actually have that same engine cover, that has a couple of tiny scratches, (looks better than that one) that you can have for free.

Aside from that, it looks ok in the pics. Pay close attention to the chain. Just because he "recently lubed it" dosent mean it was taken care of like it should be for the life of the chain.

10k miles is nothing for these bikes.

Many reports of folks going double the valve adjustment interval, and the valves still being in spec.

If you get him down a couple hundred due to the tank, it's not a bad buy.

-Tim
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the info. What am I keeping a eye out for chain wise?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
If it has a center stand, it will be much easier to check.  Put it up on the center stand and turn the rear wheel by hand.  Look for kinks, tight/loose spots, etc. while it is spinning.  If it doesn't have a center stand, look at the chain while rolling the bike in neutral.  Look for the same problems.  Also look at the sprockets to check their condition.  Google worn motorcycle sprockets to get an idea of what to look out for.

All bikes eventually need a new chain and sprockets.  Chain maintenance helps extend it's life, but on large liter bikes, they all eventually wear out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll start doing some homework then since most likely this next bike will have a chain.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All bikes eventually need a new chain and sprockets.  Chain maintenance helps extend it's life, but on large liter bikes, they all eventually wear out.
View Quote

True, however, you are generally looking at tens of thousands of miles between changes.  My father had 35,000mi on his original chain & sprockets on his V-strom 1000.  This includes lots of dirt roads and rain.  He could have gotten more miles out of it, but he was wanting to change the gearing for more low-end.    

I had 12k on the originals on my first FZ1 before I sold it.  Hell, I only adjusted the chain 3-4 times in that entire time.  

Chains are easy.  I spray mine down with Teflon lube every few hundred miles (every 2-3 riding days for me).  If the chain gets enough slack in it (I'll be able to feel it while shifting), then I adjust it.  Usually every few thousand miles.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes chains are fairly easy to maintain.  But with zero to low maintenance, they can wear out well before 10K miles.  That is why it is one of the indicators of condition of a bike when you buy used.  If it is a low mile bike with a worn out chain, that means it wasn't taken care of.  Which raises the question, what else isn't taken care of?  

Chains aren't hard to take care of, but you still have to stay on it.  You do need to lube regularly and keep an eye on it to adjust for stretching.  Now that I have a belt drive on one of my bikes (Buell XB-12S), I really don't miss chain maintenance.  Having a chain is not a deal breaker for me, but on the list of things to consider.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes chains are fairly easy to maintain.  But with zero to low maintenance, they can wear out well before 10K miles.  That is why it is one of the indicators of condition of a bike when you buy used.  If it is a low mile bike with a worn out chain, that means it wasn't taken care of.  Which raises the question, what else isn't taken care of?  

Chains aren't hard to take care of, but you still have to stay on it.  You do need to lube regularly and keep an eye on it to adjust for stretching.  Now that I have a belt drive on one of my bikes (Buell XB-12S), I really don't miss chain maintenance.  Having a chain is not a deal breaker for me, but on the list of things to consider.
View Quote

Well I will have to learn eventually as shafts never took of in the sport bike market
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#37]
If you want a shaft or belt, there are many options.  For a large sport touring rig, there is the Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR.  If you want something on the sportier side, there are Buells (both XB & 1125 models) which can be had cheap right now.  If you want exotic, there are the Moto Guzzi bikes (the Griso is on my short list).  Many of the BMW bikes have a shaft drive.

Check out the Buell line of bikes.  Both the XB series and the 1125 based bikes are a great way to step up from a cruiser.  They have V-twin engines in a sporty package, which you can appreciate since you ride a VTX.  They have a belt drive with zero maintenance (my last belt lasted over 30K miles before I replaced it because of a crack).  They are about as cheap as they are going to get.  I regularly see the XB bikes at the $3K range and the 1125 around $4K.  The XB has no valve lash clearance to check, so it is a very easy bike to maintain.  The 1125 based engine does require checking the valves, which is harder to do.  But it is water cooled and puts out a bunch more power.  There are parts for the bikes which are easy to get and very reasonably priced.  The Buell XB doesn't have the high end kick in the pants of a sports bike, but has a great engine for the street.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you want a shaft or belt, there are many options.  For a large sport touring rig, there is the Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR.  If you want something on the sportier side, there are Buells (both XB & 1125 models) which can be had cheap right now.  If you want exotic, there are the Moto Guzzi bikes (the Griso is on my short list).  Many of the BMW bikes have a shaft drive.

Check out the Buell line of bikes.  Both the XB series and the 1125 based bikes are a great way to step up from a cruiser.  They have V-twin engines in a sporty package, which you can appreciate since you ride a VTX.  They have a belt drive with zero maintenance (my last belt lasted over 30K miles before I replaced it because of a crack).  They are about as cheap as they are going to get.  I regularly see the XB bikes at the $3K range and the 1125 around $4K.  The XB has no valve lash clearance to check, so it is a very easy bike to maintain.  The 1125 based engine does require checking the valves, which is harder to do.  But it is water cooled and puts out a bunch more power.  There are parts for the bikes which are easy to get and very reasonably priced.  The Buell XB doesn't have the high end kick in the pants of a sports bike, but has a great engine for the street.
View Quote

My main gripes on the buell was that they also felt small and were down on power compared to everything else.

I went and looked at the brand new Buell naked and it was on my list as well but it is pretty spendy and for some reason they didn't put abs on it even though it has traction control. Supposedly that will change eventually.

I love the idea of a bad ass American sport bike.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Guy listed the 919 again. Think I'm going to try and take a look at it this week or weekend. Need to send him a email. How's the price look to you guys?

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5010003396.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#40]
If it has a monster energy sticker on it, it's been wrecked hard. Because, and this is science, the owner was retarded and reckless.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Guy listed the 919 again. Think I'm going to try and take a look at it this week or weekend. Need to send him a email. How's the price look to you guys?

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5010003396.html
View Quote
No advice on the title, but the 919 is an amazingly fun bike.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If it has a monster energy sticker on it, it's been wrecked hard. Because, and this is science, the owner was retarded and reckless.
View Quote

But Red Bull is ok right? This one is local to me and pretty tempting. Set up for drags complete with stretched swingarm and front suspension straps.
http://www.michaelsreno.com/2007KawasakiNINJA-ZX-14-inventory.htm?id=766710&used=1&vin=JKBZXNA117A019545

\
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

But Red Bull is ok right? This one is local to me and pretty tempting. Set up for drags complete with stretched swingarm and front suspension straps.
http://www.michaelsreno.com/2007KawasakiNINJA-ZX-14-inventory.htm?id=766710&used=1&vin=JKBZXNA117A019545

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/61662602-d18e-4aa6-929d-78739b6fcb26/inventory/766710/IMG_2474.JPG
\
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/61662602-d18e-4aa6-929d-78739b6fcb26/inventory/766710/IMG_2474.JPG
\

Set up for drags usually means its a non turning pos that's had the ever living fuck ran out of it.

I wouldn't buy it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Set up for drags usually means its a non turning pos that's had the ever living fuck ran out of it.

I wouldn't buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

\

I wouldn't buy it.

Oh I would never buy that poor abused 14 I was just joking because of Swingsets comment. Love to have a stock one though or maybe even a turbo one

Dude with the 919 hasn't returned my email just like last time he listed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top