Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 1:48:42 AM EDT
Three questions

Are they the same platform as the SS?

How long until they start popping up used?

Will Ford step up and bring a competitor or stick with the Taurus?

I kind of want one
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Our fleet has one, it's really a POS.  It may be good for a civilian car, but as a police vehicle it sucks, constant issue, parts randomly falling off/breaking.
It's definitely fun to drive though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our fleet has one, it's really a POS.  It may be good for a civilian car, but as a police vehicle it sucks, constant issue, parts randomly falling off/breaking.
View Quote

Quit killing my dreams

I just think it's cool that there is a LS powered RWD sedan back on the streets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford has a competitor already, the SHO, with AWD

New one is supposedly going to be on the fusion platform at weigh about 500 lbs less too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The Taurus is looking to be a decent car and the fusion is great too but there is something about the frame on body rwd cars that seems to make a tougher platform.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Taurus is looking to be a decent car and the fusion is great too but there is something about the frame on body rwd cars that seems to make a tougher platform.
View Quote

Generally I would agree, but if the police interceptor version is any indication.........the Taurus is serving FAR better as a police vehicle than the Caprice from a durability/reliability standpoint.

We have two of the taurus's at my dept. and they have held up amazingly well.  Same for the explorers for that matter.  Very very tough vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quit killing my dreams

I just think it's cool that there is a LS powered RWD sedan back on the streets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit killing my dreams

It's a Holden.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What in the world makes you assume this new patrol car is body on frame?

Body on frame construction for passanger cars is as obsolete as points and flathead engines. You will never see them again
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Generally I would agree, but if the police interceptor version is any indication.........the Taurus is serving FAR better as a police vehicle than the Caprice from a durability/reliability standpoint.

We have two of the taurus's at my dept. and they have held up amazingly well.  Same for the explorers for that matter.  Very very tough vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear. Are they ecoboost cars???
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit killing my dreams

It's a Holden.

Yup I'm aware. I like a lot of the Australia offerings and was sad to hear Ford closed up shop over there or were at least talking about it. The way things are going all the decent sized V8 sedans will go the way of the dodo bird.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Body on frame construction for passanger cars is as obsolete as points and flathead engines. You will never see them again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was strictly a assumption. I'm not new at making a ass of myself
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yup I'm aware. I like a lot of the Australia offerings and was sad to hear Ford closed up shop over there or were at least talking about it. The way things are going all the decent sized V8 sedans will go the way of the dodo bird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quit killing my dreams

It's a Holden.

Holden is closing down as well within the next couple of years or so.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
That sucks. They obviously dont sell well globally or maybe they make it tougher on emissions for the whole company.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sucks. They obviously dont sell well globally or maybe they make it tougher on emissions for the whole company.
View Quote

I think for both, volume combined with costs has made it more viable to build elsewhere and import the cars.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think for both, volume combined with costs has made it more viable to build elsewhere and import the cars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But are they going to build the same kind of cars?? I dont know if they were sold all over or just in Austrailia. Seemed like they were the last holdout after us.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But are they going to build the same kind of cars?? I dont know if they were sold all over or just in Austrailia. Seemed like they were the last holdout after us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the most part, just Australia.  None were exported under the Holden name that I know of except perhaps to New Zealand and there were those that GM rebadged to several things here.

The V8 SuperCars series is already letting in other brands that aren't V8s and that may be the future of the auto in general there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I think they are sold in the UK under the Vauxhall name(Thank you Top Gear) but that was the only other time I see them mentioned.
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/microapps/vxr/vxr8/index.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think they are sold in the UK under the Vauxhall name(Thank you Top Gear) but that was the only other time I see them mentioned.
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/microapps/vxr/vxr8/index.html
View Quote

But not under the Holden name.

That's pretty much the same car as the Caprice/SS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a the average commuter,  unibody is the way to go. Rides and handles better than most frame designs.

For launching across interstate medians at high rates of speed, ease of collision repair,  and hauling/towing heavy loads,  body on frame is the way to go.   I'm curious to see if the new unibody police vehicles hold up to long term abuse.   I know our local department is already having numerous issues with the Taurus.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have a few . Simple things like the controls for the radio and ac break. But when they run, they run. I've been an officer since the late 90's and driven everything police wise since the box chevy's. The Australian caprice is a rocket!!! It handles well and I've been on a closed course at 154 mph. The fastest of anything I've ever driven; but the fit and finish sucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For a the average commuter,  unibody is the way to go. Rides and handles better than most frame designs.

For launching across interstate medians at high rates of speed, ease of collision repair,  and hauling/towing heavy loads,  body on frame is the way to go.   I'm curious to see if the new unibody police vehicles hold up to long term abuse.   I know our local department is already having numerous issues with the Taurus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why they buy Tahoes and explorers (unibody)
BOF is dead and is never coming back in sedans.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
GM is cutting production in Aussie land in the next few years.

The fate of the Caprice is still up in the air.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you have a no chase policy and a big budget,  that is fine.   I would not want to chase anything at triple digit speeds on the freeway in a Tahoe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I would rather do it in a new tahoe than those ancient crown Vic's

If they had enough spunk under the hood to go that fast fully loaded
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  I'm curious to see if the new unibody police vehicles hold up to long term abuse.   I know our local department is already having numerous issues with the Taurus.
View Quote

We have about a dozen Tauruses and a half dozen Explorers in our fleet...They have been remarkably trouble free. Remarkable as in nearly completely trouble free. In the roughly two years we have had them, they have proven to be incredible police cars.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We have about a dozen Tauruses and a half dozen Explorers in our fleet...They have been remarkably trouble free. Remarkable as in nearly completely trouble free. In the roughly two years we have had them, they have proven to be incredible police cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm curious to see if the new unibody police vehicles hold up to long term abuse.   I know our local department is already having numerous issues with the Taurus.

Weren't the Crown Vics unibody?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
No, Crown Vics were body on frame till the very last one.

I love those cars. They were a pickup with a trunk, damn near indestructible. I drove old Caprices, Chargers, Impalas, and Tahoes...and none of them were as good a cop car as the CVPI>
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, Crown Vics were body on frame till the very last one.

I love those cars. They were a pickup with a trunk, damn near indestructible. I drove old Caprices, Chargers, Impalas, and Tahoes...and none of them were as good a cop car as the CVPI>
View Quote

Every once in a while they still come up for sale here and I am tempted to buy one. Hard to beat as a beater commuter that can actually haul a load of people and gear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]
My grand marquis (mercury version of the Crown Vic) is 14 years old and still going just fine. Couch on wheels it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top