Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 8:56:24 PM EDT
So long story short I hit a pot hole a week ago in my 2001 Grand Am and cannot find a replacement rim for this vehicle anywhere.  Called about 8 different junk yards and everybody is out of them as they seem to be a popular commodity this year.  Does anybody have experience with Keystone replica wheels?  They are available on Rockauto.com for a reasonable price and come with a lifetime warranty on the product.  Also, taking suggestions or any other ideas if anybody has anything to offer up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is an 01 Grand Am...just put any wheel on it that will fit. No one will notice one of the wheels doesnt match, and if they do, they wont care...its a Grand Am.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Keystone will be a Chinese cast knock off. . Might want to expand your search a lot of junkyards have started scrapping aluminum wheels outright .
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discount tire, yes they can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I read some where that a service business arose out of the fancy aluminum wheels that take the thin "rubber band" tires. They easily damage from hitting curbs, etc.

There are companies that repair the wheels and make them look new.  Maybe worth looking into?????
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I realize that the car isn't worth anything but it comes down to the fact that either way I'm going to have to spend a chunk of change for a rim so it might as well come close to matching.  So no luck on the Keystone products?  Also, I bent the rim on my way to drill for the Guard and the mechanics at our shop said that there was nothing that could be done for the rim since it was aluminum.  Is there some other way they haven't heard of to repair it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I realize that the car isn't worth anything but it comes down to the fact that either way I'm going to have to spend a chunk of change for a rim so it might as well come close to matching.  So no luck on the Keystone products?  Also, I bent the rim on my way to drill for the Guard and the mechanics at our shop said that there was nothing that could be done for the rim since it was aluminum.  Is there some other way they haven't heard of to repair it?
View Quote

Around here there's a few places that specialize in aluminum wheel repair. Might be worth calling a body shop, they should have a number around for a good one in your area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not make a salvage yard run, and get any set of matching wheels that will bolt on? Most GM cars from that era are going to be near enough to identical that a set of wheels will swap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you tried some place like Hubcap Annie? I just checked, and they list a handful to fit your car...

http://www.originalwheels.com/pontiac-wheels/grandam2001rims.php
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Post a pic of what you're looking for and I'll take a look out back of the shop tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Several styles available on ebay starting at 55$  shipped.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This is exactly what I'm looking for  16 inch, 5 spoke, chrome plated.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you looked into a shop that repairs wheels/rims?  They can work some magic.  I used one for one of my slot mags on my '78 F150.  Looked like new when they were done.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keystone will be a Chinese cast knock off. . Might want to expand your search a lot of junkyards have started scrapping aluminum wheels outright .
View Quote

Keystone wheels are almost exclusively reconditioned OEM wheels.  The reason OP cant find one in a boneyard is because Keystone/LKQ Corp scarfs up a lot of wheels for recon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
there is a bunch of them on car-part in the mid atlantic region $75-100
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
there is a bunch of them on car-part in the mid atlantic region $75-100
View Quote

So I'm looking at the car-part.com and not really understanding the grading scale they have there.  There doesn't seem to be much of an explanation for it either.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you looked into a shop that repairs wheels/rims?  They can work some magic.  I used one for one of my slot mags on my '78 F150.  Looked like new when they were done.
View Quote

This.  You would be surprised at how well wheel repairs look.

Or try this place for a replacement:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/store/PONTIAC-GRANDAM.htm
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a place called Wheel Wizard locally, they do great work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like Pittsburgh would be the closest place to have the wheel looked at and rebuilt if possible.  There is a place south of me but can't get a hold of them...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like Pittsburgh would be the closest place to have the wheel looked at and rebuilt if possible.  There is a place south of me but can't get a hold of them...
View Quote

Do you have a Discount Tire nearby?  Or any other decent tire shop?  Call them and ask who they use and/or recommend for wheel repair.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Ebay? I am looking for another s10 ZQ8 wheel and have also considered a China knock off. Ebay, atleast for a s10, has every wheel style GM ever had.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Well good news all around if anybody is wondering.  I found a rim in a local junkyard on a Grand Am that was wrecked about a week ago and also found a local fabrication shop that can repair the old rim for about the same as I paid for the junkyard one.  Looks like I will have a spare for next winter.  Thanks for the help and tips guys.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top