BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]

2014 V Strom.

I'm coming off of a 14 FLHTCU.  Harley bagger for you uninformed.  I have over 50K Harley miles on 3 bikes.  Been riding dirt since I was 8, about 36 years.  Have a KTM EXC as well.

I wanted a Triumph Tiger 800 XCX.  Triumph was very proud of their product and wouldn't make a deal on a left over 14.  I did more research and found good reviews and info on the DL 1000.  A local Suzuki dealer has some 14 left overs for $7995.  We made a deal.  I have this bike 6 days as of today.  Have 130 miles on it.  Pics are from todays break in ride.

I like it.  Way more fun than my Harleys. Obviously lighter, more responsive handling.  The v twin has lots of low end torque.  I can't rev it out yet, but this is not a high RPM engine.  Pulls hard from low rpm.  A lazy mans bike, I feel like I can leave it in 3rd and cruise tight twisties.  It reminds me of an old YZ 490.  Put it in 3rd and ride  all day.

I don't like the engine braking.  Cut the throttle and it decels fast.  Never noticed that with my Harleys.  Overall I like it so far.  I know I will have more fun with it than I was having with the big cruisers.  Wanted to try something new and different.  I feel like this was a good choice.

If you are on the fence about an adventure bike or a DL1000.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Much jealous of Swingset and MTShawn's trip.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea it was a pretty good weekend to be out and about in WV. Looks like Swingset has placed the bar pretty high for reports! I ended up stopping in Covington VA for the night on Saturday and am not afraid to admit that I was damn tired of slow drivers and twisty roads by the time I got there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad both of you had fun and while adventure was found, disasters were averted.

Nice write up and thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone I know who's bought the new DL has loved it. I would have a hard time going 1 liter again and not getting a shaft drive, but I do love the big Stroms. The engine braking takes getting used to, but it's a valuable tool when you get comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I admit that the stock tires suck. A lot. Ordered a set of the Full Bore M-40 today. And got my boots in. Forma Adventures.  Quite comfy around the house. Much more betterer than the old Sidi Rains that are 5 years old and a bit tight.  Soon I'll have time to get it out in the dirt.  Nothing but mud after 10" of rain last weekend.

So, who wants a perfectly functional 5 year old Olympia X-Moto in (not so) bright (anymore) yellow, size large?  Nothing wrong with it, but really trying to clear out the garage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everyone I know who's bought the new DL has loved it. I would have a hard time going 1 liter again and not getting a shaft drive, but I do love the big Stroms. The engine braking takes getting used to, but it's a valuable tool when you get comfortable with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the big difference with shaft drive?  I've only had chains.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No cleaning, no rusting or kinking, no adjusting, no changing sprockets and riveting chains every 20k. Change the final drive oil once and a while, you're fucking done.

Downside (because everything has a downside), more weight, robs the engine of some power (theoretically) and you can't re-gear with a simple sprocket change, but for a big tourer chains just fucking suck IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No cleaning, no rusting or kinking, no adjusting, no changing sprockets and riveting chains every 20k. Change the final drive oil once and a while, you're fucking done.

Downside (because everything has a downside), more weight, robs the engine of some power (theoretically) and you can't re-gear with a simple sprocket change, but for a big tourer chains just fucking suck IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahh, thank you
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Had a few hours before work after my VA appointment today, so I took the long way to work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm having a KTM 1190 Adventure R built now! No pictures yet but I'll post some shortly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally put the tires on last night. Im reminded hiw much i hate changing tires, and that i need a bead breaker.  I ordered the motion pro bead breaker, serves as tire levers also.  Better work like videos.

Pictures tomorrow of my bike on its side, because i know im gonna drop it
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Finally put the tires on last night. Im reminded hiw much i hate changing tires, and that i need a bead breaker.  I ordered the motion pro bead breaker, serves as tire levers also.  Better work like videos.

View Quote

I stopped doing my own tires right around the time I lost access to tire machines even though I used spoons on my bikes the bead breaker was pretty handy. I did use a bench vise successfully a couple times.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I stopped doing my own tires right around the time I lost access to tire machines even though I used spoons on my bikes the bead breaker was pretty handy. I did use a bench vise successfully a couple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd just ride the bike around in the grass with the valve stem out, it'd break a stubborn bead if I couldn't get it off with the spoons. Dirt bikes are easy, but tubeless tires can really grab.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Having tube tires being able to get it off is essential. Hadnt even thought about riding until the bead broke. Would be repkacibg the rube anyway.....

The old kickstand trick did not work, with almost all of the bikes weight. I finally cheated and put the tire under the jeep and used the jack the break it.  Still lifted the jeep a bit though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Having tube tires being able to get it off is essential. Hadnt even thought about riding until the bead broke. Would be repkacibg the rube anyway.....

The old kickstand trick did not work, with almost all of the bikes weight. I finally cheated and put the tire under the jeep and used the jack the break it.  Still lifted the jeep a bit though.
View Quote

I had a stubborn one one time, made one of the 2x4 levers people talk about making (with a short 12" spike to pop the bead). I put it under the front end of an F350, and with two guys pulled the wood down so much it lifted the front of the truck but still didn't pop it.

So, I used a dremel to slice VERY close to the rim and hit it with mapp gas from a safe distance to weaken the rubber and it pryed off. Tourance on the rear of my Vee, btw.

The riding in the grass trick works, just don't go fast or be careless, it'll handle like absolute shit but it usually knocks the bead right off.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If I buy a 2015 KLR 650 do you guys promise to make fun of me?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Post pics, if see any Harbor Freight shit bolted on, I'm makin fun of you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
milk crate mandatory for KLR still ?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of these days I'm going to get around to picking up that Harbor Freight motorcycle lift that's been getting great reviews.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

One of these days I'm going to get around to picking up that Harbor Freight motorcycle lift that's been getting great reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a lift and a dolly....I'm a total hypocrite

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the jack. Does Harbor Freight sell milk crates?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the ATV jack. works well enough for my needs.  I'll probably be picking up on of the trailer hitch mounted bike carriers soon. If all goes well I'll be carrying a CRF250L. A mini ADV bike
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack helped but honestly was too tall to start with, had to pick up my crf250l and sit it on it, then lift it up. Stick with a block of wood, milk crate or cinderblock. I would prefer a metal plate welded to a hydraulic lift much less effort.

ETA- I just bought a 2000 KLR 650 to accompany my CRF250L
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The deals on these leftover Suzuki V-Strom DL1000s are too good to pass up.  This is my new 2014 Adventure model.  Suzuki is offering $3K off these right now and the dealers are also sweetening the deals to move them.  I couldn't resist.

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

The break in (no more than 4,000RPM for the first 600 miles) is killing me but aside from that I'm loving the bike.  Seems like a great everyday motorcycle.  I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice! I almost bought the tan one, though I love my Tiger.  I took my Vee to many places people said it couldnt go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Very nice! I almost bought the tan one, though I love my Tiger.  I took my Vee to many places people said it couldnt go.
View Quote
Thanks, I think the Tiger is a better looking bike but this one is growing on me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#28]
you'll love the Vee. Tons of fun, it actually can do offroad, TKC's fit just fine (raise the front fender for mud clearance ), and it as plenty of power to load it down and still get up hill.  Dead nuts reliable to boot. in 80,000 miles I had two issues. Stator went bad, which was a known issue. That was at about 65k.  Oil cooler leak at the union, that I'm pretty sure I caused, so I wont fault the bike for it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
you'll love the Vee. Tons of fun, it actually can do offroad, TKC's fit just fine (raise the front fender for mud clearance ), and it as plenty of power to load it down and still get up hill.  Dead nuts reliable to boot. in 80,000 miles I had two issues. Stator went bad, which was a known issue. That was at about 65k.  Oil cooler leak at the union, that I'm pretty sure I caused, so I wont fault the bike for it.

View Quote

I 100% agree with the above. I have the 650 Vstrom with 80,000mi and the only thing that's gone wrong is my gear position indicator malfunctuoned, which was a super easy fix, and the valves are STILL in tolerance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I 100% agree with the above. I have the 650 Vstrom with 80,000mi and the only thing that's gone wrong is my gear position indicator malfunctuoned, which was a super easy fix, and the valves are STILL in tolerance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

every time i see your avatar i get hungry, then pissed i live in dallas   what i wouldnt give for some Hueneme orders right now
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish the snow would melt a bit more so I could take my bike out for a little spin.  All these pictures of new bikes makes me want to get out there and ride.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I wish the snow would melt a bit more so I could take my bike out for a little spin.  All these pictures of new bikes makes me want to get out there and ride.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I've never seen a lithium motorcycle battery. Must cost a freaking fortune!

Some people say the AGM do better at holding a charge over the winter.  You may want to check for parasitic drains as you research batteries. May not be the battery.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Are you using a battery tender?

I have no experience with lithium MC batteries.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://kevinscyclenortonma.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/studded-big-block-side-view1.jpg

Where can I order a set of those for me Vstrom?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://kevinscyclenortonma.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/studded-big-block-side-view1.jpg

https://kevinscyclenortonma.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/15070x17-studded-adventure-bike-tire/

You can make them, cheaper.
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top