Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 10:05:00 PM EDT
As the title says, I want to buy an old beater 4x4 truck or suv. Must be 4-door. What should I consider?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cherokee, 4.0L
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The default answer to this used to be a jeep Cherokee

But of late prices have really started to skyrocket

Suzuki sidekicks/ chevy trackers are pretty good and still beater cheap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
S-10 Blazer with the 4.3.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S-10 Blazer with the 4.3.
View Quote

NO

I love beaters and cheap 4x4's but this is one vehicle that I will NEVER own again. There is no potential repair on these that is an easy job

Bi annual ball joint replacements oh what fun
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#6]
J60, J80 Land Cruiser
N120/N130, N180 4Runner
XJ Cherokee
ZJ, WJ Grand Cherokee
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L
View Quote

Yup.

Can be had cheap.  Those 4.0l run for fucking ever.

Just watch for lots of rot....those things like to rust out.  The floor pans especially.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup.

Just watch for lots of rot....those things like to rust out.  The floor pans especially.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

XJ all the way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

This.

There's plenty of:

1)  Documentation
2)  Aftermarket parts
3)  Other examples available for parts, running or in junk yards
4)  4.0 is one of those motors that you just want to have.  Torquey at low RPM, reliable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

There's plenty of:

1)  Documentation
2)  Aftermarket parts
4)  4.0 is one of those motors that you just want to have.  Torquey at low RPM, reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

This.

There's plenty of:

1)  Documentation
2)  Aftermarket parts

The older land cruisers / 4Runners are in the same boat in my book.  Personally though, I have two 4.0L Jeeps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in with the Cherokees, I've had many of them over the years. I miss having one now in fact.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm in with the Cherokees, I've had many of them over the years. I miss having one now in fact.
View Quote

Just buy another

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L
View Quote

this is what I did.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The older land cruisers / 4Runners are in the same boat in my book.  Personally though, I have two 4.0L Jeeps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

This.

There's plenty of:

1)  Documentation
2)  Aftermarket parts

I would agree with that.  However old land cruisers command a premium and examples that aren't rusted/dented/worked over (at least around here) make them too expensive, especially after you get it rounded out for 4x4, for me to say they are competitive with the jeep. This also makes available options much more limited, so you can't "just look at another" as much as you can with old jeeps (which around here are a dime a dozen, most all are stock).   4 runners.....probably about equal with the jeep, but I like the 4.0 better than toyota's offering for those years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#16]
ehh don't let the repairs destroy you. Things break on them here and there. Its the cheapest people who play the most, at least 70% of the time

Had a friend buy a beater Toyota 4runner. Looked good from outside, new tires, everything but unfortunately he was deceived. Everything broke left n right, he basically had to replace alternator, starter, windshield wipers fan...I was there helping him since he couldn't hold the part in 1 hand and screw with the other, had to have someone hold it for him. The thing is, he was mechanically smart. If you are, then go ahead
Thankfully the motor/tranny were in good condition
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

XJ all the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

XJ all the way.

Always good advise.
A ZJ Grand Cherokee with the same drive-train is a good candidate (4.0L/Auto) also.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just buy another

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10958358_625421240936505_395635861_n.jpg

Looking at the lift & Duratracs... I'm really starting to miss our XJ's... I may need to get back on CL & start hunting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As the title says, I want to buy an old beater 4x4 truck or suv. Must be 4-door. What should I consider?
View Quote

why not just take a wad of Franklins to the strip club; it'll be cheaper and more enjoyable in the end.  

The Jeep Cherokee's have proven to be reliable, easily modified, and fairly in-expensive.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Always good advise.
A ZJ Grand Cherokee with the same drive-train is a good candidate (4.0L/Auto) also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L

Yup.

XJ all the way.

Always good advise.

The fly in the zj ointment is you don't get a toyota trans....you get a Chrysler one

Other than that I'm a fan
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the advice! I am definitely leaning towards the Jeep Cherokee. That inline 6 sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#22]
stay away from Trailblazer, the CPU driven fan clutch and dash electrical problems have shown up in mine. It's my snow back-up truck so I just cross my fingers every time I get it inspected.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
stay away from Trailblazer, the CPU driven fan clutch and dash electrical problems have shown up in mine. It's my snow back-up truck so I just cross my fingers every time I get it inspected.

View Quote

Hey buddy! Hope you're doing well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cherokee, 4.0L
View Quote

This damn near unbreakable i use a grand cherokee as an off road rig on 35" super swamper tires and it has held up with lockers front and rear its been in mud, rocks and just normal old trail riding these are some wicked reliable machines oh and did i mention mine has over 300000 miles on it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
WJ Jeep with V8

" />
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I say go all the way, don't play around, easy to fix, parts everywhere, I present..........................

The Chevy Suburban....................

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I say go all the way, don't play around, easy to fix, parts everywhere, I present..........................

The Chevy Suburban....................

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/7188/0cpm.jpg
View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Not a 4x4 but otherwise in 100% agreement

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]

I came...

As for the 'Burbs... Too big for the off-roading I do. Other than that - great basis for a hauler.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#31]
4Runner or XJ Cherokee......I've owned both.....either will do you well.   The 4Runner is built better and tougher, but more expensive as well.  Just check the door hinges if it's a Cherokee.

OH, and if you're not from the southwest, stay away from the 'Burbs.....they disolve in the rain everywhere else
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#32]
If you didnt have to have four doors i'd sell you a 93 bronco.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
4Runner or XJ Cherokee......I've owned both.....either will do you well.   The 4Runner is built better and tougher, but more expensive as well.  Just check the door hinges if it's a Cherokee.

OH, and if you're not from the southwest, stay away from the 'Burbs.....they disolve in the rain everywhere else
View Quote

Related thought...
What about an FJ80 / FZJ80 Land Cruiser?
I went checking CL on a whim - I found a few deals on 90's Cruisers (sub 3K.) They had all been sold by the time I called (ads were all a couple weeks old.) I also saw some that were ridiculously expensive, including one just a few miles from my house. If one isn't adverse to some wrenching, Toyota built body-on-frame, solid axle equipped I6 propelled full-time 4x4, 4 door SUV could be found for a reasonable price (factory lockers always seem to be up there in price...)

Damn it...
Now I'm thinking about it...
XJ? 4.0L ZJ? WJ? FJ80?

Should I fo?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I Fent...

I've seen a few of these for sale recently, ranging from the 2500 - 3k range, all the way up to 16K+ for really well-built/minty ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top