Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:17:13 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the V-Rod? I'm looking at getting my first Harley and I want something that's got some speed, power and really nice handling. Does anyone have one, what's everyone's opinion?

And sport bike guys, you can spare me the "sport bike VS cruiser BS". I've got a ZX14R. I don't need another death machine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Test ride one first.  You will either like it or hate it.  It's like a cruiser and a sport bike had a secret love child that got some of their positive features of each of the bikes but mostly a weird middle ground.

Also try to define what you mean by "good handling".  The power/speed part can be fixed with some engine/drive line upgrades, but the handling piece is a lot harder to fix.  If you expect it to act remotely with any vague/remote semblance to your ZX-14 you'll be very disappointed.

Also be aware, and this is a broad statement, but generally speaking stock Harley suspension and seats were they cut quality to meet pricing.  In short they're shit and should be replaced almost immediately.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A  buddy of mine had a Night Rod. It is kind of a neat motorcycle. Pretty quick off the line. Very strange ergos, though, and I couldn't really ride it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you set on getting a Harley?  If not, take a close look at the Yamaha Vmax. It will do everything you are looking for and more (especially over the Harley). ZX-14 type acceleration and power while being extremely comfortable. For a 700lb bike it also handles extremely well especially once you dial in the suspension for your weight. I rode sportbikes for years and wanted a change. Other then shitty gas milage the Vmax does not disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I rode one. Fun, but not anything I'd buy, I never gelled with it.

I'd be tempted by a Diavel, maybe.......
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Rocket 3 is also an option.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Ducati Diavel.  Man I saw one of those things a few weeks ago up close and it's really grown on me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a Harley guy, but I rented a V rod for a few days while on a business trip in Florida a couple years ago. I liked some aspects of it, and didn't like some others.  I liked the engine, it had decent torque and didn't feel like I was straddling a woodstove like on most other Harleys I've ridden. The seat was pretty comfortable, too.

The list of things I didn't like is a little longer. The trans felt clunky. The one I rode had forward controls and the riding position is weird and I never really got comfortable on it.  I can ride sport bikes, dirt bikes and standard motorcycles seamlessly but I don't understand how someone could enjoy their feet out ahead like that. The handlebars had a lot of vibration and the mirrors weren't very useful because of that.

I wouldn't buy one. It doesn't fit my riding style. The Ducati Diavel would be tempting, but I'd rather have a KTM 1290 if I wanted a v-twin naked bike. For something a little more subdued, I'd look at a Triumph Street Triple R. Maybe an Aprilia Tuono V4 R.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't buy one w/o riding it.

I test rode a Night Rod. I couldn't get off that thing fast enough. The pegs were so far forward I couldn't relax, the forks so undersprung the bike dove like a duck on a June bug at the slightest touch of the brakes, the exhaust was roasting my right ankle (and I had on proper boots), and it really, really didn't want to turn. The motor was a peach though.

The front was so unsettled my hands were literally shaking when I got off it. It was a factory demo bike so I can't believe there was something wrong with it, other than wonky design.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you set on getting a Harley?  If not, take a close look at the Yamaha Vmax. It will do everything you are looking for and more (especially over the Harley). ZX-14 type acceleration and power while being extremely comfortable. For a 700lb bike it also handles extremely well especially once you dial in the suspension for your weight. I rode sportbikes for years and wanted a change. Other then shitty gas milage the Vmax does not disappoint.
View Quote

Thanks for all the information from everyone. I sat on one today and I really didn't like the feel of it. Especially how far forward my feet were.

I really like the look of that Yamaha Vmax... I may try to get on one of those soon, looks extremely comfortable. I keep going back and forth from a Harley to a sport bike/cruiser hybrid like the Diavel and the Vmax. Then I saw the new Goldwing Valkyrie which has got my interest.

I've only ever ridden my ZX but I want something comfortable because I'll probably take a trip or two on it, but I like the idea of having the torque and speed of a sport bike as well (within realism, I know there aren't any cruisers that will compete with sport bikes in that dept.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Sport bike power, handling and comfort over distance too?

Go sit on a Ducati Multistrada.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a rocket III roadster in person the other day, what a bad ass bike. I'd get that or a vmax.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

If you want to add some dirt occasionally KTM 1190 adv.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The geometry of the bike makes a big difference in the impression you get when riding it.  When the V-Rod first came out some ten years ago, the only configuration had a raked front end.  This resulted in slow steering and a wide turning circle.

I believe the newer V-rods have front ends that are designed more for turning and agility, but I could be wrong.  I've ridden with lots of guys who have V-rods, but I've never ridden one myself.  Never had much desire.

As far as I'm concerned the Harley FL front end is the height of design in motorcycle front ends.  The rest is up to the skill of the rider, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned the Harley FL front end is the height of design in motorcycle front ends.  
View Quote

And I just shot soda out of my nose.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
You have to ride one. The style is a little odd. But after that it really does out handle everything Harley has except an XR1200. The engine is smooth and has plenty of torque to do the job. It will in no way be anything near the Kawasaki.
All of the models now have forward controls. The Standard controls just didn't sell so were discontinued. It has good ground clearance, well for a Harley. I didn't grind the pegs on it during the time I had it.
I rode a Breakout which I think is a beautiful bike but even leaving a stop light and making a right turn the pegs were grinding. Again, never ground the VRod
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Also Yep.

The big Katoom is on my short list at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top