Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2014 10:02:12 AM EDT
My neighbor asked me to take a look at his TTR. It had been sitting for 5 years! I cleaned out the gas tanks, petcock valve, replaced all rubber hoses, and cleaned the hell out of the carb.

The bike fired up the first kick but wouldn't stay running very long. It seemed like it was a fuel issue. I pulled the spark plug and it looks like it's been running lean. I then used some starter fluid to keep it running for a bit to see if any other problems existed. He bought a direct replacement carb and I installed it. Same thing it will run for a couple minuets and die. So I'm sure the carb wasn't the issue.

What do you guys recommend me checking / doing?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas tank cap vent clogged?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought of that and tried running it without the cap on. No change. Great idea though
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it getting plenty of fuel to the carb? Sometimes the petcock is all gummed up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Will it restart immediately after it dies?

Or does it have to sit for a bit?

I wonder if you have some kind of ignition problem.

Maybe after it dies pull the plug wire and see if you have spark?

I had an old ferd truck that would just up and die and then wouldn't restart until I let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

Was a bad coil.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Also, since you just replaced the carb, make sure the float height is set correctly.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Check the inside of the exhaust for a rats nest?  Look for chewed wires while you're at it.

test the coil and ignition?  possible ground issue perhaps from the vibration of the running engine.

replace the petcock?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I would just replace the idle jet and probably just replace all the jets for that matter.  Once they are gummed up, the idle jets are so small they are nearly impossible to clean.

sorry, missed the part about new carb

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My girlfriend had one a few years ago, it was really hard to start, and restart, and would conk out when idling, I added this jet kit (bike was super lean) and pulled the snorkel off the top of the airbox, and it was worlds better. Also added a BBR shift lever, it was longer and got rid of the linkage.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/ttr125.html#fuelsystems
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
What came out of the gas tank when you cleaned it?

How did you clean it?

These are called "details" any such "details" are helpful for those doing the troubleshooting over the intardweb.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Middle son gave me a free one last month...it had been in storage about 5-6 years.

Word on the web is that they're notoriously cold-blooded and testy to start when everything's perfect.

Choke/starter system seems to be part of the issue, as is OEM jetting.  Fix is a new Mikuni VM carb, supposedly.

Mine is like yours but she'd sat for about 6 years without draining the carb prior to storage...covered with green crap inside everything. I cleaned the carb completely with no success.  My fix will be to replace the carb.

Other issues may be a stuck or bent valve, per web suggestions. I ran a leak down test on mine about 3 hours ago, zero leakage from valves or rings.

This website may be the ARF of TTR's...Thumper Talk--TTR Section...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/24-ttr/

In one of my past lives, I used to wrench professionally on Suzuki's, Norton's, and Triumph's...this little biatch has me somewhat stumped at the moment.

HTH, and please PM me or post here when you get her running.  I will do the same.

Good luck.

-hanko
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Couple of things, go up one size on the pilot jet...it will make it 100 times easier to start.  The problem you are having is probably a valve issue.  As the bike warms up, things expand and blamo, your valves are out of tolerance. So, time to check valve clearance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Will do. Ill keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My neighbor asked me to take a look at his TTR. It had been sitting for 5 years! I cleaned out the gas tanks, petcock valve, replaced all rubber hoses, and cleaned the hell out of the carb.

The bike fired up the first kick but wouldn't stay running very long. It seemed like it was a fuel issue. I pulled the spark plug and it looks like it's been running lean. I then used some starter fluid to keep it running for a bit to see if any other problems existed. He bought a direct replacement carb and I installed it. Same thing it will run for a couple minuets and die. So I'm sure the carb wasn't the issue.

View Quote

Did you bother to read my post?

What was the color of the fuel that came out of the tank and what did the inside of the tank look like?

If the inside of the tank is a rusty shit mess then any amount of cleaning is not going to do jack shit.

Did you replace the air filter?

Will it idle with the choke on?

Is the air intake boot cracked - allowing air to pass?

Easy trouble shooting trick, block off the air intake using 1/4 tape, one strip at a time.

If the bike starts to run better as more tape is applied then the bike is too lean.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What was the color of the fuel that came out of the tank and what did the inside of the tank look like?

If the inside of the tank is a rusty shit mess then any amount of cleaning is not going to do jack shit.

Easy trouble shooting trick, block off the air intake using 1/4 tape, one strip at a time.

If the bike starts to run better as more tape is applied then the bike is too lean.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have missed it.

The tank looked decent. The fuel was definitely bad but not alot or corrosion or junk in it.  The air filter was not replaced, it didnt seem to be in bad shape. It will idle with choke on then die out. I am guessing its too lean by the way the plugs looking but i will try that trick you mentioned. I also ordered the new jets which seem to be a cure all for this bike per Thumper Forum.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Must have missed it.

The tank looked decent. The fuel was definitely bad but not alot or corrosion or junk in it.  The air filter was not replaced, it didnt seem to be in bad shape. It will idle with choke on then die out. I am guessing its too lean by the way the plugs looking but i will try that trick you mentioned. I also ordered the new jets which seem to be a cure all for this bike per Thumper Forum.
View Quote

How many turns out on the fuel screw?

More than likely you need to go up at least one size on the pilot jet based on the fact it will run on the choke.

Check the valve clearances - if for no other reason than to know where things are.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

More than likely you need to go up at least one size on the pilot jet based on the fact it will run on the choke.

Check the valve clearances - if for no other reason than to know where things are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must have missed it.

Ill look into the valves if the jets i ordered don't fix it. I'm not sure on how to do that so ill need to do some research.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw that video. The carb is brand new. He is talking about cleaning the passage on a old or used carb. Ill double check it though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw that video. The carb is brand new. He is talking about cleaning the passage on a old or used carb. Ill double check it though.
View Quote

Brand new does not equal properly jetted for your bike at your location/weather/altitude.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
try checking rubber intake boot (between carb and cylinder head) for cracks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Must have missed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have missed it.

Make sure he has the jets in the correct hole

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top