Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 11:53:43 PM EDT
Hey y'all.

Anyone here very knowledgable about flowmaster mufflers? This summer I had my mechanic (who I trusted. He has done good work for me in the past) install what is supposed to be a flowmaster 40 series on my 90 Chevy K2500. Well I noticed that it is only stamped "INLET" and nothing else. From a bit of googling I find that most if not all true flowmasters are stamped flowmaster but maybe that is only on certain models?

It sounds good it's just I'm anal about made in America and I try my best to buy American products even at a higher cost.  

I paid 300$ installed (welded) in a basic cat back system. I hope this isn't a knock off. If it is I'm going to take it back to him and complain (hoping to get a real flowmaster at no cost to me other than my time. If not I'll cut the china crap off and buy and install my own flowmaster.

Pays to do your own shit

Help ARF
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Flowmaster is cheap crap. I know, I've owned them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What makes you say that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you say that?
I'm gonna go with, experience.

Raw materials for any sort of good exhaust are going to cost more than $300. Maybe you can get the welding done for $300.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Flowmaster was cheap for me too

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I was asking why y'all found flowmasters "cheap" poor craftsmanship/ welds? Materials?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I currently own 4 sets of Flowmasters.  I didn't know there were exhaust elitists around, but this thread sure proves.  

I build cars and attend many events.  I see that a very large portion of the specialty car industry uses Flowmasters.  They must be wrong.  Maybe Magpul has a better plastic version.

I don't recall that any of mine are stamped or embossed, and the early ones had 'inlet' as a stick on label.  They were originally painted steel, but most are either aluminized or fully stainless these days.  

As far as them being crap, I abused a set in a severe duty towing application for several years.  I had to tow over a mountain every weekend.  They ruled.  

If you are driving a pussy-ass Ford 2-seater or some other little bitch ride, Flowmasters will rattle your teeth loose.  In that case, make sure you have the proper paint matching skirt, Coach purse, and some vagina mufflers like Borla or some other shit you see in Cosmopolitan magazine.

I have heard some of the cheap, ebay chinese flowmaster copies.  I don't know how they are for longevity, but they actually sound pretty good.  I intend to buy a couple single chambered ones for the NASCAR engine I will be firing up very soon.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The knockoff flowmasters are built just the same as the real thing in my experience, I would only be upset if he charged you $80 for it instead of $30.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060

It does look like they are embossed these days.  I don't think the older ones were, and your guy may have had old stock.  

If they sound good, just run them. I have bought a couple used Flowmasters and have no issues with them.  I don't think you can wear them out, but I don't live in the rust belt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I currently own 4 sets of Flowmasters.  
View Quote
And in what way are they superior to OEM, other than being louder?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Flowmasters sound awesome!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll second this. There are better mufflers; though it's just the same as ford vs chevy, remington vs savage. Like wildearp posted, older were not stamped. I've had cheaper shit, I have more expensive shit. If its sound good, run it. If you call out your mechanic, gonna need a new one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll second this. There are better mufflers; though it's just the same as ford vs chevy, remington vs savage. Like wildearp posted, older were not stamped. I've had cheaper shit, I have more expensive shit. If its sound good, run it. If you call out your mechanic, gonna need a new one .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll second this. There are better mufflers; though it's just the same as ford vs chevy, remington vs savage. Like wildearp posted, older were not stamped. I've had cheaper shit, I have more expensive shit. If its sound good, run it. If you call out your mechanic, gonna need a new one .

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now. No need to stir the shit with the mechanic that passes my inspection without hassle
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now. No need to stir the shit with the mechanic that passes my inspection without hassle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the best way to handle it.  Unless he was giving you a screamin' deal, you probably did end up with a knock off.
My mechanic just quoted me 400.00 for a 3" cat back using a fake Flowmaster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Well at least I didn't get ripped off price wise.  300$ for the muffler and welding with tips not too bad
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you tell him you wanted the real thing? That along will be close to $100 by itself.

No way he did the job for $300 using the real one.

Most people just want the sound anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they do but they won't last long. Maybe if you buy stainless but then the price is so ridiculously high you might as well buy something that sounds even better.

I switched from FM to Borla on my Vette and I couldn't be happier. The Borlas have already lasted over twice as long as the FMs and they sound even better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Flowmonster once, and it was every bit the same as a Flowmaster except for the stampings. The good thing was it was only $40.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was asking why y'all found flowmasters "cheap" poor craftsmanship/ welds? Materials?
View Quote

Junk.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I told him I wanted flowmasters. He didn't ask if I wanted the real thing or not. Oh well. It sounds good
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Go Borla,,wont be any mistake on what you have.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes they do but they won't last long. Maybe if you buy stainless but then the price is so ridiculously high you might as well buy something that sounds even better.

I switched from FM to Borla on my Vette and I couldn't be happier. The Borlas have already lasted over twice as long as the FMs and they sound even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stainless Flowmasters seem to hold up pretty well.   I prefer Vibrant in that price category,  though.

Borla is too rich for my blood.   But then again,  I am usually lookimg to fix busted up exhaust systems,  not replace them with something high end.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#22]
My crappy 10 year old flowmasters, which are still working and looking great btw, have the following markings embossed on them:

On the endcap :  Inlet

On the body, but only on the side with the seam: Flowmaster emblem and the US and other patent numbers.

One of my mufflers was installed with the seam up, and these marking cannot be seen from underneath without a mirror.  Make sure you look at the side with the seam.  My markings were still clearly visible, even though the mufflers are ten years old and obviously crappy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I told him I wanted flowmasters. He didn't ask if I wanted the real thing or not. Oh well. It sounds good
View Quote

Sounds like you got ripped off, but then again......."Flowmasters" has become a generic term for cheap hi flow mufflers, in the same way "Cherry Bombs" became the generic term for glass pack bullet type mufflers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I only use custom palladium coated Ti mufflers on my rides and look down my nose at you lowly Flowbastards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Blowmasters?

Why would you purposely put those on a vehicle?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go Borla,,wont be any mistake on what you have.
View Quote

I have had Borla before but the one thing I did not like was the welded on exhaust tip.
Living in salt country the tips start to rust pretty fast.
Now I just put on a stainless steel Banks cat back and I really like it a lot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks all for the replies. I'll upgrade eventually when I'm no longer a broke college kid. The X pipes always seem to have a nice sound on YouTube
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the replies. I'll upgrade eventually when I'm no longer a broke college kid. The X pipes always seem to have a nice sound on YouTube
View Quote

If you are a broke college kid, the why are you blowing the cost of a textbook on a fashion exhaust system?

Degree then income then fashion toys

Sound good on youtube??? WhiskyTangoFoxOver???  
AANNnnd how do rifle shots sound on youtube compared to real life???
Some sounds just do not record and playback well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a local shop that specializes in exhaust and he has real Flowmasters and knock offs...supposedly, Flowmaster's patent expired a while back so other companies started copying them.  From what he showed me, there doesn't appear to be any discernible differences in the mufflers aside from the box, but I'm not sure if the material quality is the same for longevity.  FWIW, I have a Flowmaster on my Camaro that has been around since 2001; it was on my first one and when I scrapped it I took that system off for my current one.  It's held up just fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
maybe the flowmaster stamp was on the other side facing the bottom of your truck so you can't see it???? I've have flows on many vehicles but never bother to look to see if it was stamped on both sides....
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm running the knockoff flowmaster 40's on my '66 Mustang, but behind them I have 12" glass packs/resonators to quiet the bark just a little as Ford did from the factory on my GT.
Of course I was told up front they were knockoff's and were a little quieter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll second this. There are better mufflers; though it's just the same as ford vs chevy, remington vs savage. Like wildearp posted, older were not stamped. I've had cheaper shit, I have more expensive shit. If its sound good, run it. If you call out your mechanic, gonna need a new one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
95 Cobra has Flowmasters.
05 GT has Borla.

I like the bullet types more but the flow masters were so dirt cheap.   Got a pair of axle turn down Flowmasters for my 95 at 140 shipped.   That is hard to beat.

When my 331 goes in the 95 I am thinking of side dumping Magnaflow/borlas/pipes.

The Flowmasters have a tendancy to drone as well as sounding like a boat off throttle.    It gets compliments at idle with a lumpy cam but it just doesnt good at 4k+rpm which for my 95 is a lot.    With the 331 hopefully getting above 6500rpm I want something that will uncork better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I had Series 40 on my Blazer awhile back, i went true duals, no cats and series 40..It was horrible and raspy. I put Cat-co cats on and dynamax. It sounds like a normal truck now, not too loud, but loud enough that you know its not stock.

On anything really nice, im going borla. I had one on my Cherokee and it sounded great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you are a broke college kid, the why are you blowing the cost of a textbook on a fashion exhaust system?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also bought my 800$ ar15 as a broke college kid as well as a 400$ eotech sometimes being single helps finance toys
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What makes you say that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you say that?

Aluminized steel vs. stainless. Drone.

Best system I've owned was a Corsa on my CTS-V. That car sounded like angry sex.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I prefer Magnaflow over Flowmaster. Flowmasters tend to drone and not sound that good at highway speed.. in saying that I have a Flowmaster on my v10 because the dealer said he couldnt get magnaflows. which really meant the local muffler guys are flowmaster dealers. anyway everyone says it sounds good I think they are OK.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I put the knock off 40 series on my 69 GMC that I got from Jegs for $25 a piece on sale. It was just a patina fake shop truck I did up to sell at Goodguys so I didn't care that they weren't real. They sounded pretty close to my 72 Cutlass that has real 40's on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top