Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 1:06:52 PM EDT
Here my situation. I've been thinking this over for some time now.

I have two cars, a 2013 WRX and a 95 Chevy Corsica. The Chevy is my work car, its been reliable for me over the past 4 years but now is starting to have some issues. Its has 233k miles on it and the suspension is finally starting to wear out. My WRX is the car I've been wanting for a really long time. I finally got to a point were I was able to buy it. It only have 1900 miles on it over the past 16 months, I never drive it.

So my plan is to trade in/sell my WRX, only owe about $12k on it, for a better work car. Something like a couple year old economy car, $8-9k max. Then with the leftover money and maybe some of my owe buy a 3rd gen 4runner. I found one on Craigslist for $6k with 118k miles. My plan is to use the 4runner to tow and small camper and be my BOV.

I'm I stupid for wanting to do this? I talked to my wife about it last night and all she said was to do whatever I want.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are significantly overestimating what you'll get out of the Subaru.

If it's that paid down you might as well start using it up
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly. Why buy it if you're not going to drive it? When it comes time to sell or trade it in, you're not going to get much, if any, more for it having low miles.

Have you priced repairing the Corsica? What exactly is wearing out? There's not really anything that CAN wear out, besides bushings, struts, and strut mounts. Worst case scenario you put 2 grand or so into it (if you don't do the work yourself) and you're good to go for a number of years. You're still $6-7K ahead right there, you'd have to do a LOT of driving in a car with better fuel economy to save that much money in fuel costs. Or, just sell it outright as is and buy the Toyota as a daily driver and BOV. If you don't trust it as a DD, I don't think it'd be a good BOV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you are significantly overestimating what you'll get out of the Subaru.

If it's that paid down you might as well start using it up
View Quote

Had a buddy just trade in his '13, same options including a roof rack and 16k miles. He got $24k for it. Not saying I'll get exactly the same amount that's why I said I'll add money to get the 4runner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Exactly. Why buy it if you're not going to drive it? When it comes time to sell or trade it in, you're not going to get much, if any, more for it having low miles.

Have you priced repairing the Corsica? What exactly is wearing out? There's not really anything that CAN wear out, besides bushings, struts, and strut mounts. Worst case scenario you put 2 grand or so into it (if you don't do the work yourself) and you're good to go for a number of years. You're still $6-7K ahead right there, you'd have to do a LOT of driving in a car with better fuel economy to save that much money in fuel costs. Or, just sell it outright as is and buy the Toyota as a daily driver and BOV. If you don't trust it as a DD, I don't think it'd be a good BOV.
View Quote

I'm not try to keep the mileage low, I just don't go a lot of places besides work. If I do we take my wife's car cause she has the car seat.

I haven't priced out the repairs so I don't know the cost. I know it needs a new Cv axle but I'm not sure if there's anything else, I'm not too much of a mechanic. Also, the driver side door doesn't work so I have to open the door from the inside, it gets annoying. Generally the car isn't too bad but I'm just getting sick of driving it. It rides crappy, it's loud, and looks like shit but it still get 30 mpg.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The last few years I've realized life is short, So do whatever makes you happy!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Did your buddy "trade up" though?  Dealers are less inclined to offer you a good price for your WRX if they have to give You money and a car.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just think, when you buy used, you get to put money into it too. Somebody is selling it for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Why can't you use the WRX for work?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
First I agree, life is short...do what you want.

2nd...I never understand guys that finally get their personal halo car and then don't drive it!

It's a scoobie wrx...I had an sti in the family, I drove it occasionally. They aren't my thing but they are a hoot to drive.  Go drive the wheels off it...why pay the bill to have it sit in the garage?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, that's a dumb plan.

Sell the Corsica and drive the WRX to work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, that's a dumb plan.

Sell the Corsica and drive the WRX to work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can get absolute top dollar for your WRX I guess it's an OK plan.
If not, you just wasted a shit ton of money to look at a car in your garage for the last few years and will not be rewarded for keeping it so nice.

I say get rid of the whatever it is you have that really old and start getting your moneys worth out of the subie.
It's an AWD car for goodness sakes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're serious about selling the WRX, now would be the time.  It will command a premium with that low mileage, and you will have zero problems getting rid of the car.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it for enough to pay off the note and buy the 4Runner.  That being said, I would keep both cars, and just enjoy the WRX.  You wouldn't get much for the Corsica, so just drive it until the wheels fall off.  Drive it a couple days a week, and the WRX the rest of the time.

For God's sake, man, enjoy the WRX!! ;)
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#14]
It's dumb to trade it in instead of sell it private party.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Beats me, I'm getting ready to sell my Ranger FX4 Level II, 1993 325i, and 1st gen 4runner to buy a 3rd gen 4runner and a utility trailer.  Gotsta consolidate the fleet and get rid of the car payment/comprehensive insurance expense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top