Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 3:41:24 AM EDT
I'll be getting a new vehicle soon and right now the two I'm mainly considering are the 2007 and newer Tahoe 4x4 and the 2006-2009 Gen4 4Runner 4x4.

We are having our first kid around March next year but he will mainly be riding in my wife's Highlander. Is the 4Runner too small for a rear facing infant seat? I will rarely pull a 6'10"x12' tandem axle trailer with ATV's or dirtbikes. The fuel economy is around the same for the two but the Tahoe will have quite a bit more power and room. I'm hoping to keep the vehicle for a long time.

Hopefully someone that has owned both can chime in about comfort, maintenance, reliability, power (4.0 V6 4Runner pulling trialer?) etc....

I'll be looking for something with less than 100k miles and less than $20k.

Random internet pictures I found:

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Toyota makes a great product, but the Tahoe is what I would consider some of what GM does best.  
I would strongly forgo extra options to offset the cost for a later year, as I *think* 2007 was the first new model run.  

Also, with the AWD/4WD it was possible to purchase it w/o a 4low, so watch for that if that is critical for you to have.

<Recent model Tahoe owner, no problems, 60K+ miles
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a '13 Tahoe PPV for a squad car... less than 50k miles, and the interior is falling apart.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Both are good vehicles in stock form. Toyota will cost more due to to better residual values. Tahoe parts will be cheaper, the Toyota 4.0 engine can be a bitch to replace certain wear parts like the water pump. both drivetrains will go a long time with proper maintenance. Tahoe will tow better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Go look at the interior of both with 100k miles. The Toyota will likely still look new, but all the tahoes and silverados I see at that age have buttons peeling, etc. I've had both, and I choose toyota now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 2007 Suburban with 112k miles and it's falling apart both in and out.  Never again!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
My neighbor bought a 2003 Toyota SR-5 4WD 4Runner new.
Today he has 640,000 uneventful miles on it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go look at the interior of both with 100k miles. The Toyota will likely still look new, but all the tahoes and silverados I see at that age have buttons peeling, etc. I've had both, and I choose toyota now.
View Quote

I'm not really all that impressed with Toyota interior and their supposed quality, hell, my 90s Buick has much better tactile feel to the controls and far more substance  [yes, GM cheapened interior materials up since then] then my brand new Toyota which feels more like they sourced the parts from the mid 2000 KIA line. [the cheapest ones at that] Hell, the plastics feel and look like GM rejects. Time will tell if they hold up over the long haul, if they do, I will be pleased and kind of amazed.

Toyota can do quality, the up-brand [read, really expensive] vehicles definitely do much much better over the long haul.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Due to stupidity on my part (impulsive sports car buys and a careless ex gf) I am on my 3rd 4th gen 4 Runner. I think they are the most bang for the buck SUV in the last 10-15 years. My current is an 08 with 70k, still running like it was new. I have the 4.7L V8 model which has a few differences over the V6 such as standard trans cooler, weight distributing hitch, and full time 4WD. The thing I find about the V8 is that people buy them, drive them little, then sell them when gas prices go up so there are many examples out there that were obviously mall crawlers and milf mobiles. I prefer the Sport Edition since it has most of the stuff I want without all the fluff of the leather, nav, etc on the Limited. Any questions ask away, Im heading out to climb a mtn but Ill check back. There is a great forum T4R.org if you want to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'll go 4runner.  It's better than the Tahoe.  Towing vehicles as DDs really are an expensive way to go unless you are seriously towing all the time.  It can be cheaper to buy a commuter car and rent a towing capable vehicle as needed...
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. How is the 4.0 at towing things like atvs or a utv like a rhino?

What about infant rear facing car seats?

If I went with the 4runner, I was leaning towards the 4.0 vs the 4.7 due to the better fuel econmy, selectable 4wd, and the v6 has a timing chain vs the v8 having a timing belt. None of these are deal breakers for me but they seemed to make the v6 more appealing.

Keep the info coming.

One other thing, I drive a 70 mile round trip commute to work. 75% highway speeds.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an 2004 4Runner 4x4 limited with 135k on it. Wife has a 2002 highlander. Since both are close in interior size I wish I would have either gotten her a Sienna or me a Sequoia. The Sequoia is very close to the Tahoe in size and are usually price with the 4Runner in price.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I went with the 4runner, I was leaning towards the 4.0 vs the 4.7 due to the better fuel econmy, selectable 4wd, and the v6 has a timing chain vs the v8 having a timing belt. None of these are deal breakers for me but they seemed to make the v6 more appealing.

Keep the info coming.

One other thing, I drive a 70 mile round trip commute to work. 75% highway speeds.

View Quote

We have a forward facing car seat I put in the 4Runner. It's a little tight honestly for leg room for him. Mpg will be close to the same. I only got around 17.5mpg on my 1500 plus mile trip last week but that was loaded with 3 people and a wife who packs heavy as hell. Some through the mountains and running a good 80mph plus on the interstate.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Like it was nothing. I have a 2011, which is many hundreds of pounds heavier, has the same trans and gear ratio (or did, anyway), 2" larger tires, and no more torque than the 4th gen's V6. I pulled an enclosed (air brake) 6K trailer from Atlanta to western Colorado without any issue.

Nice thing about a 4runner, is you won't need the ATV/UTV.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]
If you do go with a Tahoe, get one made in 09 or later. They came with the 6spd, which is worlds better than the 4spd it replaced in both strength and economy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The radio buttons will peel, but the rest of the interior holds up fine.   Someone who mistreats the interior on a GM isn't going to have any problems mistreating it on a Toyota.

All the Pilots, MDXes and 4Runners I've seen had their interiors falling apart at 50k miles, but I blame that on their passengers (kids), not the build quality of the vehicle.  I was unfortunately inside more "mom cars" than I'd care to count when I worked in a service shop for a few years after HS, I saw brand-new German and Toyota SUVs with destroyed interiors, and cattle ranchers with F350's and 3500 Silverados @ 200k miles that had pristine interiors.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
4Runner

Shop around and you can easily find a 4x4 SR5 Soccer Mom Special that never left the pavement.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the input. If I go with the 4Runner, should I avoid the v8 due to the timing belt, full time 4wd, and lower fuel efficiency?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 2008 Lexus GX470 with the 4.7 V8 engine and it's a great engine (very smooth too).

My neighbor has a 2008 4Runner with the V8 also... and he loves his too.

At 100K miles (if you're lucky) you might even find one that has the timing belt already done.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a good point. Check out the GX470s. They are essentially the same vehicle as the v8 4ru. Er, but the interior is much nicer, and I find the. Roomier due to the taller cabin. They are sold as Land Cruiser Prados elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I personally think mid sized trucks/suv's are pointless as a DD.
Small inside
Gas mileage like a fullsize
More cramped to work on
Weaker engines

I know some people masterbate  to 4 runners and tacomas so they kind of are in a class their own but all the cons to midsize vehicles still apply to them.

Maybe if it was a trail vehicle a midsize would have more pros over fullsize but that's never the discussion.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Small inside
More cramped to work on
Weaker engines

I know some people masterbate  to 4 runners and tacomas so they kind of are in a class their own but all the cons to midsize vehicles still apply to them.

Maybe if it was a trail vehicle a midsize would have more pros over fullsize but that's never the discussion.
View Quote

This is kind of where I stand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The 4Runner is made in Japan which is enough for me to choose it; the 4.7 is an excellent motor with a reputation for long life as long as it's serviced periodically (as all engines should be).
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I was an engineer for Toyota.

I've never worked with more unethical lying bastards than during my time at Toyota.

If you like the Toyota - great.  But I'd rather push a GM (and I hate GM) that drive a Toyota.

Your experience may vary - but that's mine.  I'll take ethical conduct over anything else, anyday; and twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've never worked with more unethical lying bastards than during my time at Toyota.

If you like the Toyota - great.  But I'd rather push a GM (and I hate GM) that drive a Toyota.

Your experience may vary - but that's mine.  I'll take ethical conduct over anything else, anyday; and twice on Sundays.
View Quote

Elaborate plz.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Elaborate plz.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate plz.

Being told by the division manager (AGM in Toyota speak) to lie to the site president about manufacturing failings.  Big HR investigation resulted.  Manager actually told me that he is untouchable; and ethics don't apply to manufacturing at Toyota.

You're going to call me a liar in 3....2....1....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Small inside

More cramped to work on

Weaker engines

View Quote
This is what my big holdup is. I'm interested in the Toyotas because they have a cult like following and hold their value really well.

The Tahoe's extra room, equal or greater fuel economy, and towing capacity keeps me looking at them as well. Ideally I would keep this vehicle until it has around 250k miles. Is the Toyota going to be that much more trouble free?

Any other vehicles I should consider? I've always owned trucks but seem to be using the bed less and less. I think I'd rather have more room for storage inside and pull the trailer when I need more room.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're going to use is it at all as a truck for towing or hauling, get the Tahoe. The 4-Runner platform is a complete joke for towing. Wife has an '11 Tahoe and pulls horse trailers all over the Gods creation. We have boarders with the Lexus and 4 Runner. They've both had to add "anti sway" devices and helper springs even with light trailers, and still have problems pulling them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
2 different vehicles for 2 different jobs.

Tahoe-bigger, more on road comfort and towing capacity

4runner-narrower, more off-road capability and less towing capacity

I just traded my 09 suburban for a 15 4runner, I am happy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Only problem I ever had with my '06 LTD 4Runner was the interior lights for the seat heaters, HVAC controls, etc going out at alarming rates...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at JD Power ratings.  The full-size GM SUV's reliability ratings are best in class, significantly above the Japanese offerings.

Fuel economy is virtually identical between the two ('07 4runner v6 4WD = 17/21, Tahoe 5.3V8 4WD = 16/21) but of course the Tahoe has far more power and towing capacity.

It would be really hard to find a Tahoe with less than 100k miles for under $20k around here.  Never looked at the going rate for a 4runner, nobody would drive something like that around here so there really aren't any.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 2014 4Runner Limited with the 4.0L, we towed my daughters Accord Coupe from WA to TX through the Moab with it and it did fine. We bought the 3rd row folding seat option. Adults can fit back there, but not for long trips, we put the kids back there when we're full up.

We did test drive a 2015 Tahoe before hand and found the 3rd row seat had less legroom than the 4runner and the room behind the 3rd row seat was only slightly less on the 4runner. The 2nd row seats on the Tahoe were not adjustable at all where they are on the 4runner.

If I really wanted to go the Tahoe route and really want a 3rd row seat option, the Suburban would be the way to go.

Driving the Tahoe as like driving a large wallowing vehicle on turns, it's a big vehicle with a lot of girth and it feels like it driving too. But the interior was nice and had the wrap-around center console, it made you feel a little separated from the front passenger. Driving the 4runner you felt some wallow in turns and dives when braking, but not as pronounced as the Tahoe.

Another feature that I really like over the Tahoe is the retractable rear gate window. Not many SUV's have it and it's not always practical or necessary, but it is nice to have that ability for whatever reason, oversize loads maybe?

When it came down to it, a stripped Tahoe cost as much as the loaded Limited 4runner, with Toyota's enviable record of reliability and off-road abilities, as much as I admired the lines of the new Tahoe, practicality got the best of me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]
If it's room and towing you need definitely the tahoe my girls kids love the room and the 3rd row.  
 The outcome of the vehicle also depends upon how it's taken care of. I don't like the cloth seats of the 07 styles they stain to easy.

I have a 2005 tahoe with about 170k I tow and run it down rough dirt roads  the interior is still in very good condition minus some peeling on the radio . It's my DD I love the room and comfort.   just the other day I had a stand up freezer in the back of it because the bro In  law couldn't fit it in his xterra.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Being told by the division manager (AGM in Toyota speak) to lie to the site president about manufacturing failings.  Big HR investigation resulted.  Manager actually told me that he is untouchable; and ethics don't apply to manufacturing at Toyota.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate plz.

One (or even a multiple) assholes doesn't make a whole organization corrupt or unethical. My ex has been there for close to 10 years now and I know many TMMNA employees. Sure there are some egotistical assholes that work there and plenty of clueless people as well but that's no different then any other large corporation. Honestly you just sound disgruntled.

OP - I've had my '06 4runner for close to a year now and have been very happy with it. I can't answer the car seat question but as for V6 vs V8, I have the V6 and it's been fine but if I was doing it again, I would get the V8 (especially if I was going to be towing). The V6 has good amount of power and I'm sure a small ATV trailer wouldn't be an issue but the V6 only gets like 1 or 2 more MPG then the V8 and the 4.7 is a great motor. The V8 option is really what separates the Gen4's from all other 4 runner generations. Full time AWD is not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One (or even a multiple) assholes doesn't make a whole organization corrupt or unethical. My ex has been there for close to 10 years now and I know many TMMNA employees. Sure there are some egotistical assholes that work there and plenty of clueless people as well but that's no different then any other large corporation. Honestly you just sound disgruntled.

OP - I've had my '06 4runner for close to a year now and have been very happy with it. I can't answer the car seat question but as for V6 vs V8, I have the V6 and it's been fine but if I was doing it again, I would get the V8 (especially if I was going to be towing). The V6 has good amount of power and I'm sure a small ATV trailer wouldn't be an issue but the V6 only gets like 1 or 2 more MPG then the V8 and the 4.7 is a great motor. The V8 option is really what separates the Gen4's from all other 4 runner generations. Full time AWD is not an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate plz.

You're right - one or a few assholes does not make an organization corrupt.  Even the HR coverup could be considered a localized issue.

But what it does show is that a bad experience can sour someone on a vehicle or brand.  You're judged by the company you keep - and these jokers are who Toyota continues to employ.  

Disgruntled?  No.  Shocked and bothered?  Yes.  Blown away at the blatant propaganda and lying in the company/culture?  Absoulfrikenloutley.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're right - one or a few assholes does not make an organization corrupt.  Even the HR coverup could be considered a localized issue.

But what it does show is that a bad experience can sour someone on a vehicle or brand.  You're judged by the company you keep - and these jokers are who Toyota continues to employ.  

Disgruntled?  No.  Shocked and bothered?  Yes.  Blown away at the blatant propaganda and lying in the company/culture?  Absoulfrikenloutley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate plz.

I'm not condoning Toyota, but look at the fact: ALL car companies have done some shady shit at one time or another. Some may just be lying about actual horsepower to things that literally kill people due to gross incompetence.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I traded my Tahoe for a  4Runner. My basis was for off-road purposes only; the Tahoe Z71 fared well, but it was a wide ride and the 4Runner was better suited for the trails. That and the legendary Yota reputation was enough for me to trade vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Me and the wife at in time both had 04 tahoe's, she's still has hers , I wish I had mine back , will buy another, only reason I sold mine is my grandfather died and left me his like new 2002 Z71 pickup. We do lots of towing , 2 boats, camper and golf carts. I've offered her about any car she could want but just wants another Tahoe. Don't know about the 07 and up but our older ones are GTG. Wife's has over 200k on it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Tahoe's (or Yukons - don't forget to hunt the GMC line, too, it's the same base vehicle) are about the best of what GM does.

The 4Runner is nice. It's fuel economy is about last-in class for a midsize, which makes it about even with a Tahoe.

It's off-road ability is pretty decent, but overrated IMO. It's not, as someone said above, going to make you sell your ATV. And you're comparing it to a Tahoe... which is pretty good off-road itself. The 'great off-road' comparisons mostly should be directed at 'Crossover' Minivan-replacement SUV's, not body-on frame trucks. Leave those off-road comparisons to things like a Toyota Highlander or a Chevy Traverse. You're just not going to get appreciably farther up the road with a 4Runner than a Tahoe.

Towing definitely goes to the Tahoe. No question, not close. But does it matter? Not for your application, IMO.

Size is a double edged sword. Will a Tahoe fit in your Garage? They're big - inside and out. But they are much bigger inside. I think you will have no problems with a car seat in a 4Runner. Will you and the wife be comfortable driving something this big? Tahoes are NOT small.

3rd Row seats are an option in the Tahoe - but they're tight. Kids seats, not adults.

Reliability should be a push. GM's cars suck, but their trucks don't, and this is a GM Truck.

To me, this comes down to size. Is the Tahoe 'too big' for you? If not, then that's the way you should go. If you want something that's a little smaller and more nimble, then 4Runner.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Keep the info coming.

View Quote

My 06 v6 4Runner does all that just fine. All of it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Not really a fair comparison.

Maybe Tahoe vs. Sequoia
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Tahoe's (or Yukons - don't forget to hunt the GMC line, too, it's the same base vehicle) are about the best of what GM does.

The 4Runner is nice. It's fuel economy is about last-in class for a midsize, which makes it about even with a Tahoe.

It's off-road ability is pretty decent, but overrated IMO. It's not, as someone said above, going to make you sell your ATV. And you're comparing it to a Tahoe... which is pretty good off-road itself. The 'great off-road' comparisons mostly should be directed at 'Crossover' Minivan-replacement SUV's, not body-on frame trucks. Leave those off-road comparisons to things like a Toyota Highlander or a Chevy Traverse. You're just not going to get appreciably farther up the road with a 4Runner than a Tahoe.

Towing definitely goes to the Tahoe. No question, not close. But does it matter? Not for your application, IMO.

Size is a double edged sword. Will a Tahoe fit in your Garage? They're big - inside and out. But they are much bigger inside. I think you will have no problems with a car seat in a 4Runner. Will you and the wife be comfortable driving something this big? Tahoes are NOT small.

3rd Row seats are an option in the Tahoe - but they're tight. Kids seats, not adults.

Reliability should be a push. GM's cars suck, but their trucks don't, and this is a GM Truck.

To me, this comes down to size. Is the Tahoe 'too big' for you? If not, then that's the way you should go. If you want something that's a little smaller and more nimble, then 4Runner.
View Quote

I'm pretty much on board with what ASUsax says above.  I used to own an FJ Cruiser and currently own a Tahoe.  I'd guess the 4runner might have a small edge in fuel economy, but I'd bet it's close enough to be a wash especially on the highway (hint: both will suck gas).

If you're intentionally testing the vehicle's offroad limits, then the 4Runner will go further than the Tahoe if for no other reason than its overall size and (I think) slightly better approach and departure angles.  If, on the other hand, you're not doing doing anything intentionally challenging and are instead sticking to places like forest service or logging roads, muddy fields, slippery boat ramps, etc. then you'll likely see no difference in capability.

For a 70 mile, mostly highway commute, I would 100% prefer to be in a Tahoe.  Much more comfortable on the highway.  

If you go for a Tahoe, its worth getting an 09+ with the 6spd transmission for both longevity and driving experience.  Starting in 2010, they started making Tahoes without a low range in the t-case; the low range in the t-case comes with the HD towing package so it's easy to tell if a 2010+ Tahoe is so equipped (and you're silly to buy one without the HD towing package if you plan to do anything more than shuttle kids around).  Look at the RPO codes inside the glovebox door to check what options a Tahoe has installed.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm pretty much on board with what ASUsax says above.  I used to own an FJ Cruiser and currently own a Tahoe.  I'd guess the 4runner might have a small edge in fuel economy, but I'd bet it's close enough to be a wash especially on the highway (hint: both will suck gas).

If you're intentionally testing the vehicle's offroad limits, then the 4Runner will go further than the Tahoe if for no other reason than its overall size and (I think) slightly better approach and departure angles.  If, on the other hand, you're not doing doing anything intentionally challenging and are instead sticking to places like forest service or logging roads, muddy fields, slippery boat ramps, etc. then you'll likely see no difference in capability.

For a 70 mile, mostly highway commute, I would 100% prefer to be in a Tahoe.  Much more comfortable on the highway.  

If you go for a Tahoe, its worth getting an 09+ with the 6spd transmission for both longevity and driving experience.  Starting in 2010, they started making Tahoes without a low range in the t-case; the low range in the t-case comes with the HD towing package so it's easy to tell if a 2010+ Tahoe is so equipped (and you're silly to buy one without the HD towing package if you plan to do anything more than shuttle kids around).  Look at the RPO codes inside the glovebox door to check what options a Tahoe has installed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an FYI, all Tahoes are equipped with low-range transfer cases, GM never offered a Tahoe in 4x4 without low.

You're right on the mark about the 09+, 6spd is WAY better than the 4spd it replaced.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Chevy definitely made (and continues to make) Tahoe's with a single speed transfer case.  Go look at pictures of 2010+ Tahoe's for sale and you'll see most have only 3 positions on the transfer case selector knob (2hi, auto, 4hi).  Then look at some LTZ models (fully loaded usually) and you'll see 4 positions.  Same goes for Suburbans too, FYI.  Current generation Tahoe's are the same way as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I've started to wuss out and do not want to spend as much as I originally planned. I'm now leaning towards the 03-06 year Tahoe's. I believe I've talked myself out of the 4Runner for now due to the Tahoe's having more room, more power, same price, and the same fuel mileage. Off-road capability is behind those in the priority list right now. I'll still test drive one before I buy anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I like Toyotas.  I have owned several.  Great cars and trucks.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd go with an 06 Tahoe.  Last of the older style.  Roomy inside.  4x4 is not terrible much more expensive if you want it.  Can seat 9 if you want.  

I have an 06 Suburban and wouldn't trade it for a comparable Toyota product at this point.

To be fair however, the comparable Toyota is a Sequoia, which is too pricey for me.    The  comparable GM product to the 4Runner in size would be more like the Trailblazer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top