Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 5:33:23 PM EDT
When a Dealership advertises that they have Certified Used Vehicles what does that actually mean.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Its means they are certified used and have been inspected and found that they have real used parts and may come with a warrantee certifying that they might last the same amount of time as a car that has not been certified used.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The manufacture puts out a checklist for the mechanic to go through and make sure works hence why they use the "128 point inspection" line on certified used
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
And prolly just as much bull shit as most dealer bills that pass on to the customers.

Eg:  Check fluids ------------------------  Yup they are still there.

Replace brake fluid   -------------------------   Suck out fluid in reservoir and never bleed the rest.

Flush cooling system   ---------------------------   Drain radiator and put in new fluid.

And on and on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll get a good extended warranty with them and usually cheaper than buying a separate extended warranty.

The car will be checked over real well, and usually have new filters, wipers, etc.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife bought one from a Honda stealership near Milwaukee.  Apparently their "detailed 128-point inspection" did not include removing any of the leaves from the engine compartment, which appeared as if it hadn't been opened since the vehicle was driven onto the lot (probably 15 minutes earlier).  Or removing the french fries from the door handle area.  Or anything.  Really all it amounted to was them putting a sign in the windshield stating that it was a certified used vehicle.

Very happy with the car, but I'm absolutely certain there was no inspection...it was just a sales pitch.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My certified car came with an extended manufacturer's warranty.  That's pretty much the whole point of "certified."
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the dealership. In some cases all they do is a vague inspection and fill out a form. If you are not mechanical have someone look over the car . Most dealers can give you the service history if it has had dealer service .
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on the dealership. In some cases all they do is a vague inspection and fill out a form. If you are not mechanical have someone look over the car . Most dealers can give you the service history if it has had dealer service .
View Quote

In 2001, I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2000 Honda Accord.  It came with a better warranty than a new car.  Only problem, I paid a premium for the Certified vehicle, and I went well past the mileage without encountering any major issues.  The only things replaced on that car by the time I sold it were motor mounts, alternator, and water pump.  Granted, that was in addition to the fluid changes, belt changes, brakes, and tires, but I consider those normal wear items.

When I was in VW hate mode, I considered trading my 2013 GTI for a CPO G37 coupe.  My only hangup is that I'd probably supercharge the G37, so it is pointless to pay a premium for a CPO car when I will void the drivetrain warranty anyway.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine bought a certified used Toyota that turned out to be a former rental car.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When a Dealership advertises that they have Certified Used Vehicles what does that actually mean.
View Quote

They guarantee that you won't be the first owner.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
CPOs have to go through the corporate guidelines, worn parts replaced with OEM, and have to meet their standards of year/mileage. They have significantly better warranties, history reports and better incentives.

Normal used cars are fixed as cheap as possible and put onto the lot at the dealer's discretion.

Honda generally speaking has one of the better CPO programs since fleet sales are not allowed (except the Civic Natural Gas model in the SoCal market).
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A friend of mine bought a certified used Toyota that turned out to be a former rental car.
View Quote

Program cars are common place on car lots.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In 2001, I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2000 Honda Accord.  It came with a better warranty than a new car.  Only problem, I paid a premium for the Certified vehicle, and I went well past the mileage without encountering any major issues.  The only things replaced on that car by the time I sold it were motor mounts, alternator, and water pump.  Granted, that was in addition to the fluid changes, belt changes, brakes, and tires, but I consider those normal wear items.

When I was in VW hate mode, I considered trading my 2013 GTI for a CPO G37 coupe.  My only hangup is that I'd probably supercharge the G37, so it is pointless to pay a premium for a CPO car when I will void the drivetrain warranty anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who supercharges a G37?
The entire point of a G37 or a Lexus IS that it's NOT a German vehicle and in turn you are trading in some performance for reliability.

Why would someone take $10k and make a g37 or a lexus IS less reliable for more peformance?
Might as well just buy a german  car in the first place and have forced induction from factory.

You'll potentially have a less reliable vehicle but it will only take a couple of thousand to make the same power that $10k would have got you in the G37 or Lexus IS.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

First car I bought my wife was a used Nissan Sentra.
Never had a problem with it, 4 years later when Carfax started listing all 50 states I ran the vin for my Ford Ranger and her Sentra.

Turns out her '85 Sentra was a Hertz rental from Hawaii and my '85 Ranger had originally been owned by the local power company.
That explained why I kept finding sand everywhere in the car every time I worked on it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd value it for the warranty, wouldn't trust the dealer for much else.  Bought an ML350 via an agent from a Mercedes financial auction.  In doing so, I learned that dealers usually buy from the same auction and pay a premium for the better vehicles that would make good certified cars.  But all the certification takes place at the dealer supposedly following mfg. guidelines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top