Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 7:19:39 PM EDT
Hey guys! I'm such a n00b when it comes to tires and wheels for my Jeep. I know I want Goodyear Duratrac's. My Wrangler Unlimited is a 2013, tire size currently is P225/75R16. Duratracs are not made in this size. I also want to get new wheels as I'm not too thrilled with the look of the stock aluminum wheels. Do you guys have any recommendations for a black wheel in the $100-150 range? What size tire/wheel should I get for a daily driver? My wife doesn't want the Jeep to ride much higher.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys! I'm such a n00b when it comes to tires and wheels for my Jeep. I know I want Goodyear Duratrac's. My Wrangler Unlimited is a 2013, tire size currently is P225/75R16. Duratracs are not made in this size. I also want to get new wheels as I'm not too thrilled with the look of the stock aluminum wheels. Do you guys have any recommendations for a black wheel in the $100-150 range? What size tire/wheel should I get for a daily driver? My wife doesn't want the Jeep to ride much higher.
View Quote

I have three sets for my JKU, all using the Rubicon 17in aluminum wheels.  You can paint them black yourself or send to powdercoat.  I recommend spray-paint if you will do offroad.  Very easy to fix the paint and can find those rims almost as new on Craigslist for very cheap if I have to replace.  They are almost disposable.

Set 1) Good Year Wrangler SR-A 255/75 R17 - this is the daily driver set - inexpensive and lowest fuel consumption

Set 2) BF Goodrich LT 255/75 R17 - light offroad, snow, mud, etc. - use for enjoying some snow drives or rough offroad

Set 3) BF Goodrich 35/12.5-17 T/A KM2 for more fun offroad, creek crossing, snow, ice, etc. - only put those when going out.  Mileage is terrible.

I was not impressed by the Duratracks and did not have good experiences with Goodyear.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Www.wranglerforum.com
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at Discount Tire Direct
I put Level 8 wheels on with 285/75-16

You could also find Rubicon take off wheels and tires on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have three sets for my JKU, all using the Rubicon 17in aluminum wheels.  You can paint them black yourself or send to powdercoat.  I recommend spray-paint if you will do offroad.  Very easy to fix the paint and can find those rims almost as new on Craigslist for very cheap if I have to replace.  They are almost disposable.

Set 1) Good Year Wrangler SR-A 255/75 R17 - this is the daily driver set - inexpensive and lowest fuel consumption

Set 2) BF Goodrich LT 255/75 R17 - light offroad, snow, mud, etc. - use for enjoying some snow drives or rough offroad

Set 3) BF Goodrich 35/12.5-17 T/A KM2 for more fun offroad, creek crossing, snow, ice, etc. - only put those when going out.  Mileage is terrible.

I was not impressed by the Duratracks and did not have good experiences with Goodyear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is no joke about takeoffs on CL

If I was running stock rims and tires, I would just pick up a full set of takeoffs every time I needed new tires.

I see nearly new sets of 17" rims with SRA's all the time on CL for next to nothing.

OP I would find a set of rubi takeoffs on CL, just make sure the TPMS sensors are included/compatible with your 2013.
Jeep switched freq's in the last year or two and the older ones won't work on the 13.

ETA: if your running 16's those are not even aluminum, those are the ugly little steelies I still have a set of those in
the basement.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up guys. I found a nice pair of 2014 Rubicon wheels on CL, but it doesn't include the TPMS sensors. Will the sensors on my current wheels work?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Duratracs stomp km2s for snow, ice, and sticking to rocks.  For loose surfaces, sure a mudder is better, but that's it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up guys. I found a nice pair of 2014 Rubicon wheels on CL, but it doesn't include the TPMS sensors. Will the sensors on my current wheels work?
View Quote

Rubicon takeoffs are a great idea. Without the TPMS sensors you will get the annoying ding every time you start your vehicle and the TPMS idiot light will remain on. Aside from that, it won't affect the drivability of the vehicle. You can also switch TPMS sensors from your wheels to the Rubi takeoffs with no issues...Search CL and the forum for sale sections at www.jk-forum.com and www.jkowners.com for good deals on takeoffs ...As for tires, I've had Duratracs, KM2s, and several other tires and the best AT tire, by far, is what I'm using now: Cooper Discoverer AT3. I only change out to Duratracs when heavy snow is expected.......

Fair warning, Jeeps can be addictive and quickly wear a hole in your wallet. Before you add bumpers, a lift or mod anything else on your Jeep get on the above mentioned forums and read, read, read.....When you've finished reading and researching read some more...Lots of good advice to be had that will save you $$$$
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 2013 FYI, swapped out the TPMS from my stockers to the cragar soft 8's  I run now.

You just have to factor in the price of basically having two sets of tires broke down versus just buying a new set of sensors.

I see sets of 5 online from 80-100.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get some 17" take-off wheels off of CL, Plasti Dip them black (except for lug nuts), throw on Duratracs.  Pure sex:

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get some 17" take-off wheels off of CL, Plasti Dip them black (except for lug nuts), throw on Duratracs.  Pure sex:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/356999/69152.JPG

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/356999/68945.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You running spacers?
I've got the stock Sahara 18's (255/70R18), and am toying with the idea of 265/70R18's w/spacers (Kanati Trail Hog), or scoring a set of 17" takeoffs (& still run spacers), mainly to broaden my tire selection. Either way, I'll stick to a roughly 33" tire (at least until I can convince the wife that we need 2.5"'s of lift & some 35's.)
Edit - insert obligatory Jeep picture below...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is sick!!!! I'm picking up a set of 2014 Rubicon's on Saturday I hope.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You running spacers?
I've got the stock Sahara 18's (255/70R18), and am toying with the idea of 265/70R18's w/spacers (Kanati Trail Hog), or scoring a set of 17" takeoffs (& still run spacers), mainly to broaden my tire selection. Either way, I'll stick to a roughly 33" tire (at least until I can convince the wife that we need 2.5"'s of lift & some 35's.)
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af25/arhoodooman/10691699_703619746396415_146558315_n_zps2eabbd31.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You running spacers?
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af25/arhoodooman/10691699_703619746396415_146558315_n_zps2eabbd31.jpg

I'm running Daystar 1.75" coil spacer lift and Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers.  Wheel spacers just 'cause I like the wide-set look.  Tires are 285/70/17s.  Obviously want bigger (who doesn't?), but it's a daily driver and I don't want to re-gear yet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would just make or buy a TPMS canister and then run what ever you wheels want.

TPMS sensors are annoying as fuck if you have intentions to wheel your rig and are constantly airing down and airing up your tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just make or buy a TPMS canister and then run what ever you wheels want.

TPMS sensors are annoying as fuck if you have intentions to wheel your rig and are constantly airing down and airing up your tires.

I was under the impression that the sensor have to be rotating on the newer sensors.

Or have you gotten a cannister to work for you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's a couple different types of TPMS systems. Some use the wheel speed sensors which are hall effect sensors for the ABS that detect change in wheel speed from improperly inflated tires, but I thought the JK ones were actual pressure sensors. I could be completely wrong though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the sensor have to be rotating on the newer sensors.

There's a couple different types of TPMS systems. Some use the wheel speed sensors which are hall effect sensors for the ABS that detect change in wheel speed from improperly inflated tires, but I thought the JK ones were actual pressure sensors. I could be completely wrong though.

That's what I was curious about myself, seen several opinions on different jeep fourms on the subject.

No clear answer in the threads I'd seen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm running Daystar 1.75" coil spacer lift and Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers.  Wheel spacers just 'cause I like the wide-set look.  Tires are 285/70/17s.  Obviously want bigger (who doesn't?), but it's a daily driver and I don't want to re-gear yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You running spacers?

My wife is 5'2" - I can't run too big, or I'll have to get some power-steps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You running spacers?

I have the Rubi rock rails, so I roll with these, but they're expensive:

M.O.R.E JK Hide-A-Step
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's what I was curious about myself, seen several opinions on different jeep fourms on the subject.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could just buy the AEV tuner and shut off sensors.
That is what I did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You running spacers?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get some 17" take-off wheels off of CL, Plasti Dip them black (except for lug nuts), throw on Duratracs. Pure sex:

You running spacers?

I am running the factory Sahara 18s on the wife's JKU with 265/70-R18 (32.6") BFG Rugged Terrains. I threw some Spidertrax 1.5" spacers on to widen the stance (tires cleared fine without them), and 1" Teraflex spacers in the front (running 17/59 factory springs). She likes the look, the height and the ride.

Here it is with the tires and spacers and factory 17/57 springs (35.25" front fender height, 36.25" rear fender height):

And then after adding in the TF 1" spacers in front, switching out the 57 rear springs for 59s and putting Rancho RS9000XL shocks all around (now at 37" front fender height and 37.25" rear fender height):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top