Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 11:38:30 AM EDT
Got a customer who works for a local dealership turned me on to a really nice 2007 LS 4WD with 120K. I'm looking to replace my daily driver (Short commute so mileage isnt really a concern) and wanted something a bit more utilitarian than my 94' Taurus with 366K (yes still running lol) and to those that will suggest a Toyota, I have a 2012 4Runner that is my travel vehicle if I go out of AO. I've talked to a couple people more mechanically inclined than myself in terms of vehicle knowledge and I've gotten a mixed bag of results. I'm looking for thoughts or would love to hear from folks who have owned said vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
07-08 was the first year of that body style.  They got a bit safer, added some air bags, the GMT-9 series frame is stiffer, brakes got a little better, changed over to coil/spring instead of torsion bars for both 2wd and 4wd models.

It got the Gen 4 5.3L that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 340hp, and the same old tired 4L65e and 10-bolt transmission and axles.  Mileage between 14-17 depending on driving habits.  Low trim implies you'll have an electronically-shifted part-time New Process/NVG transfer case, I think it's a NP246 or NP263, both are fine cases but occasionally the encoder motor dies and it won't go into 4x4.  Window motors like to get slow.  Occasionally the front actuator on the axle dies and needs to be replaced.

There's really not much to be said about it, it's a solid vehicle with a looooong pedigree, since it's basically a 1500 4x4 Silverado/Sierra underneath that was mostly unchanged from the first GMT-8 to roll off the line in '99.  You'll get the typical mixed bag of GM electronics; expect peeling radio buttons and annoying OnStar, the drivetrain will be solid, it will cost next to nothing to fix and nearly every repair is going to be documented to the moon and back.

If it has AFM/DOD (cylinder deactivation) expect it to burn oil. I would be mindful of that.

Ask for service records on the transmission. The 60/65e does OK with most drivers but is not tolerant of hooning, excessive towing, or larger tires.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for write up, answered  some of my questions   as well.
What is  " hooning" ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I drove an 07-08 model and was puling 19-21mpg highway.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of my friends have 07-13 GM 1500's and they've never had mechanical problems with them. Oh and they drive them into the ground. I've always liked the Tahoes…even the new ones. My DD is a 2004 Trailblazer EXT…has 190,000 miles on it and has only cost me $3000 in ($2000 of that was I had the 4L60E rebuilt while I had the money to do it). In my opinion, GM has made the best full sized truck/SUV (as far as gas powered goes) of the big 3 since 2004-ish.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a customer who works for a local dealership turned me on to a really nice 2007 LS 4WD with 120K. I'm looking to replace my daily driver (Short commute so mileage isnt really a concern) and wanted something a bit more utilitarian than my 94' Taurus with 366K (yes still running lol) and to those that will suggest a Toyota, I have a 2012 4Runner that is my travel vehicle if I go out of AO. I've talked to a couple people more mechanically inclined than myself in terms of vehicle knowledge and I've gotten a mixed bag of results. I'm looking for thoughts or would love to hear from folks who have owned said vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Be wary of the transmission.  It is a weak point in the early models of that generation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 07 Suburban burns oil and has the sometimes dangerous and mysterious "traction control on/off" gremlin, read up about this nightmare of an issue.

I will be dumping it soon because of this.
View Quote

Bet it's just a wheel speed sensor or bad connector.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 07 Suburban burns oil and has the sometimes dangerous and mysterious "traction control on/off" gremlin, read up about this nightmare of an issue.

View Quote

Do they use lots of salt where you are?

ABS sensors on the back of the wheel hub are needed for traction control to function. If the system detects anything funny, it shuts it all off as a security precaution.  These sensors can get fouled out pretty easy if they are exposed to salt water.

It's also possible that the VSS on the tailshaft of the transfer case is going out, which is also necessary for traction control.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is the issue with the slamming from 1st to 2nd gear when the stabiltrack light comes on. Sound familiar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they use lots of salt where you are?

ABS sensors on the back of the wheel hub are needed for traction control to function. If the system detects anything funny, it shuts it all off as a security precaution.  These sensors can get fouled out pretty easy if they are exposed to salt water.

It's also possible that the VSS on the tailshaft of the transfer case is going out, which is also necessary for traction control.

This is the issue with the slamming from 1st to 2nd gear when the stabiltrack light comes on. Sound familiar?

Money's on VSS.  Anything wrong detected with the drivetrain from a speed/RPM perspective, it goes into limp mode, which locks you into second gear, especially if it's intermittent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Most of my friends have 07-13 GM 1500's and they've never had mechanical problems with them. Oh and they drive them into the ground. I've always liked the Tahoes…even the new ones. My DD is a 2004 Trailblazer EXT…has 190,000 miles on it and has only cost me $3000 in ($2000 of that was I had the 4L60E rebuilt while I had the money to do it). In my opinion, GM has made the best full sized truck/SUV (as far as gas powered goes) of the big 3 since 2004-ish.

View Quote
I love mine too, decent on gas and goes like a raped banshee with the 5.3L.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine too, decent on gas and goes like a raped banshee with the 5.3L.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1525603_10152088474672707_2029866523_n.jpg?oh=46bb00813ec9b50b9cb5bb36854e9058&oe=54AA00B1

Mine's the 4.2 (not a stock 4.2). I came off a 4.2 V6 in a F150...the Atlas 4.2 blows it out of the water (it almost outspecs the Pentastar V6 in the Jeep Wranglers). Only V8's I've owned were diesels, both in Ford trucks. The next V8 I buy will be a Duramax. I'll probably get another I6 before that though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]
For the record:  The slowest banshies are faster than the fastest apes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]
IMO, the extra money for a 2009+ with the 6-speed auto (6L80e).  From what I've read the 6-speed is a solid transmission and I think the difference in driving experience is worth it (we have a 2010 Tahoe).  As someone mentioned already, the 4L60 transmission doesn't have a great reputation for longevity if worked hard; if the Tahoe has a trailer brake installed, or looks to have a lot of wear on the receiver hitch (suggesting a lot of towing), then I'd say pass.  The cost of a transmission rebuild will likely get you a vehicle a couple years newer (unless this one is a rockin' deal).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IMO, the extra money for a 2009+ with the 6-speed auto (6L80e).  From what I've read the 6-speed is a solid transmission and I think the difference in driving experience is worth it (we have a 2010 Tahoe).  As someone mentioned already, the 4L60 transmission doesn't have a great reputation for longevity if worked hard; if the Tahoe has a trailer brake installed, or looks to have a lot of wear on the receiver hitch (suggesting a lot of towing), then I'd say pass.  The cost of a transmission rebuild will likely get you a vehicle a couple years newer (unless this one is a rockin' deal).
View Quote

Agreed. If a deal falls into your lap for an 09 with a 6L80e (which they'll all have), then take that instead. Way better transmission, by far.  The same trans is behind 1000whp CTS-V's right now with minor modifications.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I guess it depends on the price
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top