Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
So I've been searching for a 4x4 toyota truck with low miles without having to spend a fortune. That's damn near impossible around here. One day searching autotrader I put in 4x4 toyota truck, under 100k miles, any distance, and sorted price from low to high. And this 92 toyota was first on the list, and was only an hour drive away.

The ad stated 70k original miles, and was traded in at a large toyota dealer a couple days earlier. It wasn't even ready to sell, but they let me drive it anyway. I drove it around twenty miles for the test drive with me, my wife, and the Haitian sales lady crammed in it.

I looked it over and you can tell it hasn't seen a lot of miles, no rust, and the dealer agreed to have everything working with no engine lights on.

First thing it needed though was a paint job. It has faded from being 22 years old. It had a small dent on the fender, and typical used truck stuff, dings etc.

When I bought it

It has basically no rust, maybe light surface stuff on the leaf springs, and on the exhaust pipe, but that's nit picking it.

Here's the underbody. It's on a lift at the toyota dealership.

I know a guy that does great paint and body work for cheap, here it is getting prepped for paint.

It was cheap so I replaced the bumper and grille while it was apart.

Here it is now painted and with factory wheels from a 99 tacoma.  I got the wheels and tires for $200. The mud tires would look better, but it kills gas mileage and is noisy above 50mph. It'll cruise going 65mph and rides like a new truck. I'll keep the off-road wheels for the few times a year we have icy weather.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i

am

jealous

nice truck.  I want one, badly.  Very badly.  Would prefer an extended cab, but I'd have bought that in a heart-beat if the price was fair.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice! I've been looking for a set of factory alloys for the 04 Tundra that I bought a few months ago. Toyota produces some godawful steel wheels.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i

am

jealous

nice truck.  I want one, badly.  Very badly.  Would prefer an extended cab, but I'd have bought that in a heart-beat if the price was fair.
View Quote

I wanted an extended cab also, but it's rare to find one like this.

If you do research and see the actual market value for these low mileage ones, you wouldn't believe it. It's almost to the point of being like a classic.

The price sounds high but was a reasonable 4950, but then there was taxes, tag, title,doc fee.  No haggling the dealer, true price or some crap.

But then I proceeded to rape them on the promises/ we owe list. Here's a list of every thing that the dealer has done since I bought it.

Fixed the ac, it still had a rattle when kicking on, so they replaced the entire ac compressor.
No engine codes, they replaced an o2 sensor for that.
Replaced the not working tailgate handle
The speedometer was bouncing and acting up some, still counted miles. (Common on Toyota pickups), so they trouble shooted the problem and replaced the entire cluster with a new one from toyota.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice deal for under $5,000

Oh why don't these deals land around me...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you do research and see the actual market value for these low mileage ones, you wouldn't believe it. It's almost to the point of being like a classic.

The price sounds high but was a reasonable 4950, but then there was taxes, tag, title,doc fee.  No haggling the dealer, true price or some crap.

But then I proceeded to rape them on the promises/ we owe list. Here's a list of every thing that the dealer has done since I bought it.

Fixed the ac, it still had a rattle when kicking on, so they replaced the entire ac compressor.
No engine codes, the replaced an o2 sensor for that.
The speedometer was bouncing and acting up some, still counted miles. (Common on Toyota pickups), so they trouble shooter the problem and replaced the entire cluster with a new one from toyota.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i

am

jealous

No engine codes, the replaced an o2 sensor for that.
The speedometer was bouncing and acting up some, still counted miles. (Common on Toyota pickups), so they trouble shooter the problem and replaced the entire cluster with a new one from toyota.

Yeah, I'd have foregone the extended cab for that price too.  They also did you right taking care of all that stuff.  Nice find.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very nice deal for under $5,000

Oh why don't these deals land around me...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I got lucky on this one. If you look up 89-94 4x4 toyota pickups in excellent condition with 90-120k miles, they are asking around $10,500 on all of them. Hell people want $8,000 for nice ones with 200k miles.

I just don't see a truck that old bringing 10k. But that's what they all are asking. So that must be around the going market price. I have nowhere near 10k in mine even after the work done to it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very nice! I've been looking for a set of factory alloys for the 04 Tundra that I bought a few months ago. Toyota produces some godawful steel wheels.
View Quote

Craigslist.

I got some newer model year factory alloy wheels and very good Goodyear tires for my Suburban for less than the cost of the cheapest cheap tires:  $300.

-p.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]

I have a 1990 two door that I paid $4,200 for.

I love Toyota trucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I originally thought you were going overboard with repainting............it just didn't look all that bad to me.

But after seeing the new paint job, wow, that REALLY looks nice now!!!

Congrats!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I originally thought you were going overboard with repainting............it just didn't look all that bad to me.

But after seeing the new paint job, wow, that REALLY looks nice now!!!

Congrats!!
View Quote

Yeah, that looks absolutely fantastic.  Good score, OP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice snag. This thread is worthy of an official... YOU SUCK!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking good.

Since your truck now looks so nice, and these are extremely easy to steal, make sure you put and alarm on it, or a hidden kill switch at minimum.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
We'll done!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
A lot of them got destroyed a few years back. Toyota had a large recall on many due to a frame rust issue. They did not apply the proper rust coating. There fix was to simply take the truck and cut the owner a check. I had a buddy who got like $11,000 for his. Its a shame as it was a nice truck but the road salt did destroy a large portion of the frame and under body. Seems the survivors of the years were West and South.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:41:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking good.

Since your truck now looks so nice, and these are extremely easy to steal, make sure you put and alarm on it, or a hidden kill switch at minimum.
View Quote

No doubt, you can unscrew the antenna, lift the door handle, run the antenna up the handle hinge hole and push up the doorlock, unlocking the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A lot of them got destroyed a few years back. Toyota had a large recall on many due to a frame rust issue. They did not apply the proper rust coating. There fix was to simply take the truck and cut the owner a check. I had a buddy who got like $11,000 for his. Its a shame as it was a nice truck but the road salt did destroy a large portion of the frame and under body. Seems the survivors of the years were West and South.
View Quote
I think that was for the 1st gen Tacoma (95-04), not the previous Toyota truck.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]
You paid 5 grand for a 22 year old truck?  I'll never know what it is with you guys and Toyotas.  I hated mined and couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
What a find! With those low miles, too. My sister had a 1992 4Runner for many years and it was a great truck, but I always felt weird driving it. Sitting in the cab always felt more like I was laying down in the front seat and the cab felt really shallow, like the floor could have been just a little deeper and the roof a little higher.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No doubt, you can unscrew the antenna, lift the door handle, run the antenna up the handle hinge hole and push up the doorlock, unlocking the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking good.

Good to know
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking good.

they broke into my 89 xcab when I owned it thru the back window and the plastic latch they put on those windows
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking good.

That's how Rangers are.  I didn't know Toyotas did that too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't realize this was still going. Here's a couple more better quality pictures.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i

am

jealous

View Quote

This...    Nice truck
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks good, you'll be very happy with the truck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I found a receiver hitch, bumper mounts,  and a window crank at the junkyard today. There's still rubber grommets where the receiver hitch bolts up to. I don't think this truck has ever pulled anything.

The more I look at it,  I think it must have sat somewhere for a long time,  and then someone spent a good bit of money getting it back going again.  With the way the hoses and everything look new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top