Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:23:20 PM EDT
The boy schmucked a Deer with his '01 Impala, knocking out the PS headlight assy. and as they're original the other side is covered with little cracks clouding the lens.
Local dismantler/recycler has OEM off an '03 for $125. each. (kind of hate spending $250. for the pair as they both need replacing)
flea-bay has a few replacements ranging from ~$85 to $140.
Xenon HID?
Halo projector LED?
Original?
Winter is fast approaching when it'll be dark more than light, it's rural, and the snow can be brutal....
recommendations?
how about stuff to avoid?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anzo are supposed to be good replacements.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The boy schmucked a Deer with his '01 Impala, knocking out the PS headlight assy. and as they're original the other side is covered with little cracks clouding the lens.
Local dismantler/recycler has OEM off an '03 for $125. each. (kind of hate spending $250. for the pair as they both need replacing)
flea-bay has a few replacements ranging from ~$85 to $140.
Xenon HID?
Halo projector LED?
Original?
Winter is fast approaching when it'll be dark more than light, it's rural, and the snow can be brutal....
recommendations?
how about stuff to avoid?
View Quote

Don't be "that" guy that sticks HID's in his car that don't belong and piss off everyone on the road.  aftermarket headlights will likely cloud up/haze quicker than OEM headlights.

I would go oem on this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Try car-part.com and search by distance using your zip code.  It will bring up a bunch of salvage yards.  You should be able to find some that are not "A" quality or "000" quality with either slight discoloring or possibly something like a repaired tab.  The value will drop considerably with any flaw because they would no longer be "insurance quality" and be sold only to walk ins or rebuilders.  

You could also search for RPW.  They are an OE headlight remanufacturer and are typically cheaper than other remanufacturers.  For an aftermarket, stock replacement, I'd look at Keystone.  There should be some local Keystone places in your area where you can just walk in and purchase one.  

I'd just stay stock style.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Good HID conversions aren't cheap.  They also should be run with projector housings.  For $$ sake, stick with Halogens.

That said, I run a HID conversion in my vehicle.  Really great for spotting deer.  The cow catcher tears apart anything that the lights don't catch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a '01 Ford truck and bought replacement headlight assemblies for it from RockAuto.  They were amazingly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't be "that" guy that sticks HID's in his car that don't belong and piss off everyone on the road.  aftermarket headlights will likely cloud up/haze quicker than OEM headlights.

I would go oem on this.
View Quote

That's pretty well why I'm asking the hive; I'm not a big fan of funky lighting, but that said there have been some vast improvements made in vehicle lighting.
I loved the HIDs on our BMW until I had to replace the controller, a ballest, and  at $75. the cheapest part of all the Bulb.   $500. to repair a headlight assembly is just plain wrong.  

The local dismantler is very Christian in their practices and ethics; Usually they have the best prices, quality, and will stand behind what they have; Seeing all the "aftermarket" stuff priced less for a pair than just one OEM has my atttention.

Not to go too off on a tangent, but how about LED running lights for my pick-up truck?  In the past I've always used a couple 4" rubber mounts with aircraft landing bulbs in them. Besides brutal Winter snow, we have more Deer than people....it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I head home, making me want all the illumination I can get. (without frying the Alternator from hard/heavy draw)  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommended anzo because they look close to stock, have a reasonable price, provide good light with stock bulbs and seem to be very good quality.
They are on Amazon. Check the reviews
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's pretty well why I'm asking the hive; I'm not a big fan of funky lighting, but that said there have been some vast improvements made in vehicle lighting.
I loved the HIDs on our BMW until I had to replace the controller, a ballest, and  at $75. the cheapest part of all the Bulb.   $500. to repair a headlight assembly is just plain wrong.  

The local dismantler is very Christian in their practices and ethics; Usually they have the best prices, quality, and will stand behind what they have; Seeing all the "aftermarket" stuff priced less for a pair than just one OEM has my atttention.

Not to go too off on a tangent, but how about LED running lights for my pick-up truck?  In the past I've always used a couple 4" rubber mounts with aircraft landing bulbs in them. Besides brutal Winter snow, we have more Deer than people....it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I head home, making me want all the illumination I can get. (without frying the Alternator from hard/heavy draw)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go oem on this.

The LED bars are nice and bright and throw out a wide beam.  I would hesitate to use them on road.  If a cop sees you running them, you may be ticketed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The LED bars are nice and bright and throw out a wide beam.  I would hesitate to use them on road.  If a cop sees you running them, you may be ticketed.
View Quote

I've seen quite a few different ones, I'm just not sure which one to choose.....as far as the Cops: NYS does have a "dazzling lights" law, but it's usually an excuse to fish for DWI. I'd just as soon look like a UFO coming in for a landing.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top