Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snipped..
View Quote

My BMW's have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned, all over 200k miles. It's all relative.

But if I were looking for a car with the lowest total cost of ownership, no other factors involved, it'd probably be a '90s Corolla or Camry. Hell, my dad's '08 Honda Odyssey had 250k on its FACTORY brakes (we just changed them this weekend), that puts Honda way ahead in my book. and I'm used to doing brake jobs every ~50k on my BMW's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A Jetta TDI is not 35k.
View Quote

After seeing this, I went back and re-checked the price I found for the Volkswagen TDI.  The OTD price I mentioned above ($35k) was the first listing I came across on the internet ($32k) plus tax and license (WAG at +10%).  

I spent some time last night looking at local dealership prices for Jetta TDI's.  They seem to have them on the lot in the $28-$29k range.  The CA DMV fees plus a 9% sales tax raises the OTD price to $32k.  So, $32k versus $35k, meh, close enough for now.  

The real issue is this - in the discussion above I had only planned on $20k for the purchase of a new car, not $35, not $32k, not $30k.  The issues of limited availability of diesel and the higher unit price for diesel remain.

What I found is they sell the Golf TDI at $24k, the Beetle TDI at $26.5k.  The Passat TDI sells at $32k.  The Toureg TDI sell for ~$55k.  You have to add 10% to these sale prices for tax and license.

I also discussed this car with my wife.  She has a friend that owns one.  Her friend hated hers.  She drove it for a while, then it was parked and sat,... for a year or more.  We're not sure if she still has it because she has moved away from our area.

So, one path through all that noise is to buy a low miles recent model, used TDI from someone who doesn't like theirs.  

Does a multi-year, used car drive train warranty make any sense?  The Credit Union sells these at a decent price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

After seeing this, I went back and re-checked the price I found for the Volkswagen TDI.  The OTD price I mentioned above ($35k) was the first listing I came across on the internet ($32k) plus tax and license (WAG at +10%).  

I spent some time last night looking at local dealership prices for Jetta TDI's.  They seem to have them on the lot in the $28-$29k range.  The CA DMV fees plus a 9% sales tax raises the OTD price to $32k.  So, $32k versus $35k, meh, close enough for now.  

The real issue is this - in the discussion above I had only planned on $20k for the purchase of a new car, not $35, not $32k, not $30k.  The issues of limited availability of diesel and the higher unit price for diesel remain.

What I found is they sell the Golf TDI at $24k, the Beetle TDI at $26.5k.  The Passat TDI sells at $32k.  The Toureg TDI sell for ~$55k.  You have to add 10% to these sale prices for tax and license.

I also discussed this car with my wife.  She has a friend that owns one.  Her friend hated hers.  She drove it for a while, then it was parked and sat,... for a year or more.  We're not sure if she still has it because she has moved away from our area.

So, one path through all that noise is to buy a low miles recent model, used TDI from someone who doesn't like theirs.  

Does a multi-year, used car drive train warranty make any sense?  The Credit Union sells these at a decent price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Jetta TDI is not 35k.

Used will be cheaper TCO, every time.

The sticker on my base TDI with DCT  transmission was about 25k, July 2013.  I also didn't factor in 9% sales tax.  Ouch.  

Have you looked at truecar?
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/volkswagen/jetta-sedan-pricing/2014/D9AFBFE5/
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I took some of the ideas posted above and updated the cost analysis.

I used $10k for a used car, $600/year insurance and 30 mpg.  I left the maintenance cost at $5k.  These values reduced the total cost to $32k ($11k/year) .  Amortized over my labor hours, it costs $5/hr to commute to work.

The idea of spending $32k and getting nothing for it irks the hell out of me.  Heck, that's a down payment on a house.
View Quote

Wife bought a NEW 2010 Focus leftover in spring 2011, for $11K OTD!
32-35 mpg, now  at 90K and NOTHING but oil changes and 1 set of tires.

It's "Stripped" but has AC, CD crap, etc

So you CAN buy new for used money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took some of the ideas posted above and updated the cost analysis.

I used $10k for a used car, $600/year insurance and 30 mpg.  I left the maintenance cost at $5k.  These values reduced the total cost to $32k ($11k/year) .  Amortized over my labor hours, it costs $5/hr to commute to work.

The idea of spending $32k and getting nothing for it irks the hell out of me.  Heck, that's a down payment on a house.

What was the sticker price for that car?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top