Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 7:35:21 PM EDT
I just got a new challenger and I want black rims for it. I don't want to buy new rims so I'm looking for a suitable coating to do the job. Has anyone used Plastidip on rims with any success? Do you have pictures?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It works great and easy to touch up if needed.

Here's the only pic I have left from a car we sold last spring. (Rims)

I did the chrome grill on the truck also been on for 3 years now only had 1 chip. Painted the light bar too. Going to paint bumpers sometime.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it work? Is it just a rattle can?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
What I used was a rattle can works like regular paint just have to spray on thicker. It'll take a little time to get used to. Buy a can and practice on stuff first. I used 3 cans on just the grill to get what I wanted. They also have a spray gun for bigger projects.

Look up on YouTube for fonzie and plasti dip he's got some good videos.

You don't have to buy from his site I got mine from Lowes.  Just cans though about $7
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it work? Is it just a rattle can?
View Quote

Google plastidip.  The stuff is amazing.   Its like rubber.  It doesn't stick to whatever you spray it on (paint, rims, emblems).  I seen a new Camaro completely sprayed black with the stuff.   Don't like it? Peels right off.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.......
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out youtube and dipyourcar.

There are a lot of chameleon colors out there now.   Two of them are available for rattle cans.

I did the blue/green chameleon on my wheels and almost like it more than black(my wheels were gloss black aftermarket fr500).

I am tempted to do my entire 05 mustang in something like IronMan or an alien chameleon.    

Problem is California is fucking stupid and have banned 90% of the thinners used for spraying so the sprayable gallons from dipyour car cannot be shipped to Ca.    Instead you have to buy bulk dip cans at lowes in 9-14oz cans then mix with a Ca approved thinner to spray yourself.    Then to do the clears you have to mix it yourself with the pearls but since they dont ship glossifier you will only have a matte finish.

Wheels are easy.  You can do them on the car but I find it easier to take the wheels off to get a good clean and even spray.     Do multuple thinner coats, do at least 3 coats but 4 is better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are a lot of chameleon colors out there now.   Two of them are available for rattle cans.

I did the blue/green chameleon on my wheels and almost like it more than black(my wheels were gloss black aftermarket fr500).

I am tempted to do my entire 05 mustang in something like IronMan or an alien chameleon.    

Problem is California is fucking stupid and have banned 90% of the thinners used for spraying so the sprayable gallons from dipyour car cannot be shipped to Ca.    Instead you have to buy bulk dip cans at lowes in 9-14oz cans then mix with a Ca approved thinner to spray yourself.    Then to do the clears you have to mix it yourself with the pearls but since they dont ship glossifier you will only have a matte finish.

Wheels are easy.  You can do them on the car but I find it easier to take the wheels off to get a good clean and even spray.     Do multuple thinner coats, do at least 3 coats but 4 is better.
View Quote

Hows the durability?  Im also debating powder coating the rims.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has an elasticity to it.  The guy who plastidipped his camaro did it because he raced it, and the plastidip protected the car from rock chips and such.  Powder coating is more or less permanent where plastidip peels off with little effort, but it's fairly permanent unless you want to take it off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#10]
The previous owner of my car plastidipped the wheels. Not sure when he did it, but I've had it 3 years now and it's still holding up pretty good. There are a few scratches and nicks that are bugging me though, I'll be respraying them again before winter.

By the way, index cards wedged around the rim and tin foil around the valve works great for masking things off

Edit: Just took a better picture. This is what a few years of use will look like. The only cleaning I've ever done has been putting the car through an automatic car wash.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I did mine recently so I can't speak to its durability. I can say avoid using the last bit in the can if using metallic colors(maybe any of them). It left a sort of "chunky" finish when I did. SO I peeled it and started over on one of the wheels. These are Anthracite. They look fine from 5', but up close, it looks like the DIY project that it is. I will either powder coat later on or buy new rims when I have the cash to spare.

ETA: IF you know for sure you want black rims, powder coat. Did that with the wife's Jeep. It was $35/rim and I was already having the tires changed, so it was a pretty good deal. I wasn't sure how black on red would work with the Viper so I got a cheap preview with the PlastiDip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just got a new challenger and I want black rims for it. I don't want to buy new rims so I'm looking for a suitable coating to do the job. Has anyone used Plastidip on rims with any success? Do you have pictures?

Thanks
View Quote

Plasti dip is awesome, just do your research and it'll turn out great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.facebook.com/#!/PlastiDipNRip  That my friends site. check out his pics its great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/PlastiDipNRip  That my friends site. check out his pics its great stuff.
View Quote

I was debating between plastidip and powder coating my Wife's wheels.  Decided to go with powdercoating.  The wheels look fantastic, far better than any plastidipped wheels that I have seen.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was debating between plastidip and powder coating my Wife's wheels.  Decided to go with powdercoating.  The wheels look fantastic, far better than any plastidipped wheels that I have seen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The big advantage of  plastidip is that if you change your mind, you can just peel it off and respray with a different color.  To get really professional results, you need to get a sprayer; a rattle can job is always going to be a rattle can job no matter how good your technique is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He uses a gravity feed spray gun and yes his work is beter then most ! He does it in a paint both not out side like most . In the world of painting " the best preped surface will have the best finish"
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just thinking of this very topic. Well, almost, but close enough to count.

I'm looking at a motorcycle that I'd love to own in Red. The factory thinks you should only want it in Blue or Green.

I'm thinking, take the Green fairings off, paint them up with Plastidip, add some frame sliders, etc while the plastics are drying, then put together my new RED motorcycle. You CAN get a glossy finish on this stuff, right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was just thinking of this very topic. Well, almost, but close enough to count.

I'm looking at a motorcycle that I'd love to own in Red. The factory thinks you should only want it in Blue or Green.

I'm thinking, take the Green fairings off, paint them up with Plastidip, add some frame sliders, etc while the plastics are drying, then put together my new RED motorcycle. You CAN get a glossy finish on this stuff, right?
View Quote

Yep

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I have made up my mind and decided to have them powder coated. Called around and there's a place that will do it for 300 dollars and this includes tire removal, powder coat and remount and balance with interior wheel weights. With same day turn around.  

My jeep however I will Plastidip those wheels for sure. I don't much care for it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a bad deal for the full job. Post pics when you're done
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Good to hear this can be made shiny. And Metallic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmmmmm.

My car has a shitty paint job on it.

Maybe plasti dip it matte black.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I debated between Plastidip and Powercoat for motorcycle wheels.

Powdercoat was more difficult because the wheels had to be totally torn down, bearings removed and stuff. The ship them off to a powder coater capable of doing raw aluminum wheels.

Plastidip was easier ..... deflate tires, break bead, mask, spray.

The permanency of powder coat and see other powder coated wheels that did rough service off road made up my mind and I opted to powder coat the wheel.

Now I do not have to worry about clanging those aluminum alloy wheels anymore.

Ride it hard, put it away dirty ...... hose it off before next ride.

Plastidip is not as hard or durable as powdercoat .. but be advised ... if powder coat is not done properly it can be a big mess ..... plastidip does peel right off.

I have a lot of Plastidip around here for use on tool handles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have made up my mind and decided to have them powder coated. Called around and there's a place that will do it for 300 dollars and this includes tire removal, powder coat and remount and balance with interior wheel weights. With same day turn around.  

My jeep however I will Plastidip those wheels for sure. I don't much care for it.

View Quote

Long term you will be much happier with powder coating.

I did my motorcycle wheels as a part of my " chrome hating, aluminum polishing hating " campaign.

Pretty much powder coated away all of the stupid shiny stuff.

Nothing prettier than a chrome less bike !!!!!!

Ride the fuck out of it, rain, mud, road dirt ..... no worries!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I did my motorcycle wheels as a part of my " chrome hating, aluminum polishing hating " campaign.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac251/coregon/DSC_0100.jpg

I like that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Plasti-dip sucks.

PC is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Plasti-dip sucks.

PC is the way to go.
View Quote

Peeling off that powder coating is going to be a bitch when you get tired of the color.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I plastidipped mine. Bought four cans and a spray nozzle (totally worth it) from dipmycar.com.

I used to work at a place that did a lot of powder coating. It's a fucking pain in the ass, expensive, and when it chips, which it WILL, it looks like shit.

It's holding up very well.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Plasti-Dip on my stock Jeep wheels.  Ignore silver patches.  They were new wheel weights before I had a chance to touch up.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]
The look is extremely similar to powdercoat. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money on powdercoating on stock wheels.  I just started removing the plastidip on the wheels on my x5 after nearly two years. Fuck that. Never again. I spent 4 hours power washing, scrubbing, and peeling, and they still aren't back to factory finish.  If you want it to last, put it on thin. I know it sounds opposite, but it's true. If you want to remove it, lay it on thick.

Here is a comparison of two of my cars, one with plastidip, one with powdercoat.

Plastidip

Powdercoat

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Powder coat is great, if you don't mind the maintenance/cost.

Keep in mind when they get chipped up, if you want them to look good and decide to redo them, it's a PITA. You have to get the tires pulled off them, then you have to either get them chemical-dipped to remove the powder coat or have them media blasted. If you have access to a blaster, great. Otherwise you're looking at anywhere from $25 per wheel to $40 per wheel for sandblasting services, and then you get to pay for them to be coated again.

Plasti Dip is a poor man's powdercoat, and I'm a poor man. Er, woman.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did mine about a year ago,  (and the grill and tail lights) and haven't had any issues.   I had the intention of powder coating mine too. I can powder coat at home.  I haven't needed to,  it's held up that well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine has held up.

0817141606 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting.  The thought of plastidipping anything other than tool handles is new to me.

I've used Alumahyde 2 to paint wheels.  Has always been a winner.  I might have to try this, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.  The thought of plastidipping anything other than tool handles is new to me.

I've used Alumahyde 2 to paint wheels.  Has always been a winner.  I might have to try this, though.
View Quote

Plastidip is hard to beat for the price.

Removed it from my wheels (pics on page 1) and it was a pain in the ass, the PO did some light coats. The thicker you lay it on, the easier it is to remove later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top