Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 6:01:05 PM EDT
hey guys, i'm looking into buying a late 90s/early 2000's sportster, I'm looking to hear from people who have some experience with these bikes, anything I should be aware of. these bikes have the Evo engine, which from what I understand is a pretty reliable engine in it's stock form, is that a fair assessment? I know the sportster line has always had crappy suspension, any other issues I should be aware of with these bikes? I'm not overly concerned with appearances since my plan is for this to be kind of a rat bike.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
2004 and up got the rubber motor mounts. For me that is where I would start
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What exactly do you want to know?  I own a hot rodded 93 formerly 883 now a 1250. As such I am intimatey familiar with this era of sportsters.

90+ are all 5 spd

93+ are all belt driven

93-95 are the lightest bikes

95+ the speedos are electronic and no longer cable driven

2000-2003 have the best brakes and have sealed bearings in the wheels

in this era of sportster you are beat of buying a 883 and convert it to a 1250, often cheaper this way than getting a 1200 from the start. The biggest advantage is the 883 heads can be machined to get you up to 105HP/90TQ, after that you need a set of buell heads or 2004+ 1200 heads. If you want to be cheaper a 883 can be bored out to 1212, still getting you almost double the stock power of a 1200

Stock suspension blows, luckily a front sprig set from progressive is cheap and fixes it. For rears a lot use street glide or road king shocks as they are cheap and a good upgrade. Lots of options out there to fix this

Stock seats suck donkey balls, get an aftermarket

Stock brakes pre 2000 are crap, easiest solution is to swap on a set of 2000+ 39mm for sliders and use sportster, vrod, or touring calipers from 2000+ bikes.

Tanks have small capacities as you'll only get about 80-90 mi on the stock peanut tank. Lots of options out there to get bigger tanks

If the handlebar bushings are worn it vibrates a lot more, it's a wear often that is often overlooked. OEM rubber give the most dampening, but wear the fastest. Poly last longer but are stiffer, and metal will vibrate the most and never need to be replaced.

The engines are tanks, it's gonna last a good long while, worst case they are easy to rebuild yourself. Don't lug it, they like being above 2500 RPMS and lugging will damage the crank. Just be aware they are hot engines. Mine sits around 220-250 degrees when running. Keeps your butt warm.

Choke cables will snap off if you over tighten them, finger tight plus a 1/4 turn with a wrench

Oil tanks in 93 and prior like to crack at the mounting points.  94-?? Are better and I think 2000-2003 had it sorted out.

If the bike does while riding it, but restarts after sitting for a bit your nose one IGN is shot. Replace with an aftermarket unit since the OEM Is crap and an obsolete part

If you over tighten the clutch cable on the primary case you will crack the nut and it will leak oil down the cable.  It's possible for this to loosen up and weep oil too, a quick snugging might compress the o ring enough to stop it. On pre 94 bikes you have to take the cover off to replace a clutch cable, after 93 you get a bigger primary derby cover which makes it a lot easier and IMO looks better

If I were wanting an easier bike to mod stick with 95-2003, mostly looking between 2000-2003 for the better brakes but that can be fixed relatively easily and cheaply with ebay parts if you want. Main reason is parts availability is better for these years and you get an electronic speedo.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
They also porked up when they changed the frame by 75lbs+ and decreased the lean angles significantly. The rubber mount bikes feel lazier to be, and in all honesty they don't vibrate that much less than a rigid bike. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it as some, but I only notice vibrations when my fork oil is low, my shocks aren't working right, or my handlebar bushings are shot.

If you get a 2004+ bike the plastic oil tanks like to crack and leak. The left side battery cover also likes to pop off so secure it with a zip tie or be ready to spend $100. Brakes are a major step backwards, but luckily vrod or touring calipers and rotors will bolt on. 2004-2007 were the bastardized years with carbs, after that the bikes are all EFI. Get a 1200 if looking at these years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like an EFI bike mainly because I hate the coaxing the bike to start aspect of getting a carbed bike to start when it's cold. how are the carbed evo's with starting in the cold.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd like an EFI bike mainly because I hate the coaxing the bike to start aspect of getting a carbed bike to start when it's cold. how are the carbed evo's with starting in the cold.
View Quote
With a clean and properly jetted carb i can fire up almost immediately.  It cranks a slight bit longer than normal. 30-45 sec I put the choke in halfway and start riding gently, a min and a half later the choke is all the way in. Within a few minutes the bike is warmed up. If your carb is gunked up you will have a tougher time starting. Luckily these carbs are simple as easy to clean...even for a knuckle dragger like myself.

EFI are more or less the same, just less temperamental.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Also consider a Buell XB bikes as well.  It is more of a naked street fighter as it comes, rather than a bobber.  But it does have Sportster roots.  There is also the earlier tube framed Buells as well, but they are carbed rather than EFI.  You can do some pretty nice Café or Tracker style builds on both the XB or earlier tube Buells, if that is something you were thinking of doing with a Sportsters.  The XB Lightning model (vs. the XB Firebolt with the fairing) is a littler easier to convert to a Tracker/Café as the wiring loom is set up for a headlight with much of the wiring tucking into the frame/tail.  With the Firebolt, some of the wiring is tucking into the front fairing and needs to be shortened when doing a Tracker/Café.  They can be had as cheap as Sportsters and have all the engine performance mods/suspension that you would upgrade on a Sportster.  So you don't have to put a lot of money/work into upgrades as far as the engine/suspension goes, although you can always do a big bore kit.  So it could end up cheaper if you were doing a high performance Sportster.

I bought my 2004 Buell XB12S Lightning for $2700 with 33K miles on it a year ago.  It came with the factory race exhaust (great sound without being obnoxious) and factory ECM.  It is a great road bike and really is a modernized version of the Sportster.  It really does have the heart of a Sportster (the basic engine design) with a modern frame & suspension.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
1990 had 4 speed

1991 switched over to 5 speed

I had a 1990 sportster. If your over 5'8" youll hate it..they are cramped. I did a lot of mods to mine and I enjoyed it, but the 4 speed sucked and I geared it up some to help from over - reving the motor on the highway.

I used FLH shocks to lower mine and lower springs up front. some arlene ness one piece bars and a gun fighter seat. Re-did the carb and run straight pipes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a '99, with 1200 kit,head and ignition work.

I will NOT own a '04 or later, because they eliminated the trap door to the tranny, behind the clutch hub.
Now, you bend a shift fork,etc., you get to split the cases to access the trans.
Welcome to the '52 K model Sportster.Pull the motor out, remove top end,split cases,etc.
They did it to save money in manufacture, and to add 1K $ to the shop bill. BOTH!
This is my 6th. Sporty,all the rest were Iron heads.The motors are stout, i have had some with lots miles on them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 02 883 Hugger. I loved that bike and would still have it. The wife didn't care for the ride on the back, so we bought a different bike. I won't say a bigger bike is an upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be surprised if mine takes 2 full revolutions of the engine to start even when cold.  I blip the starter switch and the bike starts, every time.  It's carbureted.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They also porked up when they changed the frame by 75lbs+ and decreased the lean angles significantly. The rubber mount bikes feel lazier to be, and in all honesty they don't vibrate that much less than a rigid bike. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it as some, but I only notice vibrations when my fork oil is low, my shocks aren't working right, or my handlebar bushings are shot.    

If you get a 2004+ bike the plastic oil tanks like to crack and leak. The left side battery cover also likes to pop off so secure it with a zip tie or be ready to spend $100. Brakes are a major step backwards, but luckily vrod or touring calipers and rotors will bolt on. 2004-2007 were the bastardized years with carbs, after that the bikes are all EFI. Get a 1200 if looking at these years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ridden my 03 and an 04.  The 04 feels like a Briggs and Stratton powered POS, my 03 feels like a real bike.  Solid mount all the way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
a pre owned Triumph America is a bike you might want to look at before you buy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top