User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
      The more you post the more I think you are younger then most on this board.  I am a firefighter/paramedic and spend most of my time in an ambulance so please, by all means continue to post stuff that makes me think you are about 19 years old.  Good lord I think we can see that you don't like fast cars being driven slow but let it rest already.  You drive the way you want and I will drive the way I want.  After 16 years of fire/EMS I have seen enough high speed accidents to not want to be any part of one.  Nor do I want any tickets as that has a direct impact on my employment.  I am glad you are, I am guessing, young and can enjoy cars to the utmost but some of us older guys have other interests now.
View Quote

Funny, the way you post I figured you must have had a hell of a lot more than a year seniority on me.  I've seen plenty of wrecks in my tenure as well.  The VAST majority involved intoxication and/or inexperience.  I can probably count the number of times on one hand that it was resulting from pure speed and then someone else enters the equation.  For example, last year we had a guy on a bike that collided with an 18 wheeler.  Severed his aorta and was dead before he hit the ground.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Low T
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Low T
View Quote

Nice!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sometimes, when you know that you can beat everybody else, you don't feel the need to show it.
View Quote

This.

Plus avoiding LE trouble, fines, property damage and physical injury is HOW they got to where they could afford that car.

OP, you sound really immature.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

Plus avoiding LE trouble, fines, property damage and physical injury is HOW they got to where they could afford that car.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes, when you know that you can beat everybody else, you don't feel the need to show it.

This.

Only a faggot would say something like that.  A real man would rip through the gears and show all of the lesser men he is capable of taming the beast with ease.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps OP one reason I have a different view of things is I had a friend many years ago injure me when he flipped his car.  That was before I got into the fire service and having to spend about 6 months working through a back injury it kind of soured me on fast cars.  I still like them but I prefer to not be in them when they are being driven hard.  Enjoy your fast cars and fast driving I will be driving the speed limit or a few over and will do my best to not slow you down.

Also, as I mentioned any ticket we get has to be reported to our department right way.  By that I mean speeding or something of that nature and not a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Only a faggot would say something like that.  A real man would rip through the gears and show all of the lesser men he is capable of taming the beast with ease.
View Quote

You had me laughing at the low T but no need to join the "personal attack club" as so many in this thread already have.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Imagine the nerve of the OP!...thinking a fast car should be driven fast(er)!! Next thing you know we're going to want our water to be wet and sugar to be sweet!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mid life crisis
View Quote

For a lot of them. I know a couple of guys that had the boss or whatever when they were younger and wanted a new version.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Perhaps OP one reason I have a different view of things is I had a friend many years ago injure me when he flipped his car.  That was before I got into the fire service and having to spend about 6 months working through a back injury it kind of soured me on fast cars.  I still like them but I prefer to not be in them when they are being driven hard.  Enjoy your fast cars and fast driving I will be driving the speed limit or a few over and will do my best to not slow you down.

Also, as I mentioned any ticket we get has to be reported to our department right way.  By that I mean speeding or something of that nature and not a parking ticket.
View Quote

While I can certainly understand your view given your experience, I'm curious about something.  This accident, what was the nature of it?  Was it the speed alone that caused the accident?  Did he lose control?  Hit anything?  

See if he was speeding and something mechanical happened, that's one thing.  But if he was going faster than he was reasonably able to handle that's a horse of a different color.  Same goes if anyone else was around (on the road) and entered his path.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Something else I'm noticing about this thread...

Most of those that feel similarly to me are able to enter the thread, share their thoughts and leave without getting too wound up. Meanwhile most of those that are on the other side of the fence can't seem to help slinging personal insults.  Hopefully those heads are cooler on the road.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, the wreck was due to excessive speed around a corner that caused him to flip the car with it landing on my side.  I was nearly killed but ducked in time as the roof line was smashed down to the top of my seat, past the head rest.  He was a pickup guy who decided to try what at the time was a fairly fast car.  That was enough for me to lose interest in being in a fast car being driven fast.  Maybe my outlook would be different if I didn't have a cracked vertebrae from an accident that I was lucky and healed okay.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've wondered about this one for years!!  But why do wealthy (usually somewhat older) men, insist on buying fast cars and then drive them in the right lane at no higher than 5 miles under the speed limit??  And I'm not talking classic/antique fast cars.  Those I can understand not tearing up the roads with for several reasons.  No, instead they buy brand new sports/muscle cars and then either block the left lane, not passing anyone, or they sit in the right lane and just stare in a zombie-like trance straight ahead.

I used to think I was just making a big deal about it and that it really wasn't all or even the majority...nope...it's pretty much every fast car I see!  For example, just the other day I saw a GTR in the right lane going well under the limit.  I thought to myself..."guarantee that's a guy in his 50's who has more money than driving ability"...yup I was right!! Later that day a girl came into my office that actually knew that guy.  And I was spot on.  He was a local business owner that knew nothing about cars and never drove that one more than a mile or two over the speed limit.  

Last year I was at a car show.  A guy in his late 40's had a pretty nice Boss that he was showing off.  Two questions into the conversation told me he didn't know shit about his car.  It was obvious he was fond of it, but knew absolutely nothing about it and looked at me like I was speaking Dutch when I asked about experience at the track or opening it up on the highway.  

I've seen plenty of younger men driving the mustangs (not GT or any of the pricier models), mazdas, etc. with some nice zip to them.  They don't cut people off and tailgate...just feed their machine's some speed once in a while.  The tailgating and cutting off is reserved for the teens and 20-somethings in the VW's and Civics.  But I digress...

I actually feel bad for the cars.  I can imagine the car saying "please can we go a little faster??...PLEASE?!?...it's ok, I can handle it!..this blows!"  

So what are the theories here?  Compensating for something, a need to fit some sort of stereotype for their socio-economic bracket, no clue what else to do with their money, etc??...or is it something totally different?

I'm anxious to see if anyone else notices this in their area.  And certainly if you're someone that's in the wealthy man/snail driving club...let us all in as to what's going on upstairs.  

-Emt1581

View Quote

2/10  Needs more anger and road rage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, the wreck was due to excessive speed around a corner that caused him to flip the car with it landing on my side.  I was nearly killed but ducked in time as the roof line was smashed down to the top of my seat, past the head rest.  He was a pickup guy who decided to try what at the time was a fairly fast car.  That was enough for me to lose interest in being in a fast car being driven fast.  Maybe my outlook would be different if I didn't have a cracked vertebrae from an accident that I was lucky and healed okay.

View Quote

Wow, so not only are we a year apart in experience, I had a similar one and I DID walk away from it two years ago.  Only my accident was due to a blind curve, flooded roadway, and my own laziiness/failure to change the rear tires on my car ahead of the storm.  I wasn't speeding but I was going above the 40mph it traditionally takes to hydroplane a vehicle.  Going around the curve I hit a pocket of water that had gathered, it got under my rear tires which initially caused me to fishtail, then spin in circles, and finally I did cartwheels down the highway landing on my roof. No clue how I didn't impact anyone or anything other than the road!  The electrical was still working so I lowered the window, braced my hand against the roof and undid the seatbelt.  Crawled out and walked away without a scratch.  I definitely have slowed down significantly during storms after that!  

So maybe walking away does yield a different perspective.  However, in my case, it wasn't a buddy's ignorance that caused an injury for me.  It was my own (if you can even call it that) and it was due more to the road conditions than speeding or hot dogging.  If you can believe it I was actually on the way to the "urgent care" place near me anyway after my boss spotted pink eye in me that day.  Killed two birds with one stone once I finally got there.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't understand.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe they tear it up on the entrance and exit ramps, that is about the only time I get it into triple digits.   I am glad I had a Corvette for a brief 6 month period in 1997, that was about the last time you could drive near the top speed of a car like that and not end up being taken down by a SWAT team if you were busted.

Now its jail time, tons of fines and being ensnared in the never ending pit of the judicial system and lawyer fees.  Free country, ROFL...

Also, these supposedly slow drivers might already have 2-3 tickets in their recent past.  However, everywhere I have lived in TX, MI and AZ over the last 25 years, I can't say most people drove slow, regardless of their car's potential.

I was in IL recently, between Chicago and Bloomington, they make AZ drivers seem slow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Needs more road rage = lol  

Hasn't this thread been beaten to death?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't think it might have a little to do with the fact that people who can afford these cars got that way by being responsible and not doing stupid shit just because?

If people in the trailer park could afford these kinds of autos you'd get to see them driven like d-bags more often

And whose to say that when the time is right they don't lean on these cars a little. You're not seriously equating seeing them driven briefly on public roads with the ASSUMPTION you have even the slightest clue as to how their driven elsewhere.

This thread is just like the small minded individuals who bitch about pickup ownership just because they see them with without the bed fully loaded sometimes.
View Quote

What is responsibility? If you don't treat the street like a race track than you are a loser in a mid life crisis!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I usually encounter middle age dude in a vette putting along. I have a turbo Lexus is300 nothing crazy around 500hp i dont go using it all the tiem but if i need/want it is there.  I once did have a old guy in a convertible vette wanna race which was shocking all by itself. He road my tail so i pulled over to let him pass he pulls along side matching my speed for a bit i look over he revs and gives me a thumb up . He take off I was nice and let him get about a car or so up before i womped on it leaving him waaaaay behind. One of the funnier races i've had.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread smells like burnt hair and testosterone
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#21]
How about one of your cool pics XCR?  This thread has potential.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top