Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 9:41:27 AM EDT
Bought a used 2005 dodge ram 1500 5.7 . It had about 35k miles on it when I got it, it now has 75k on it. I have done regular maintenance on it, but never thought about a trans fluid change. I hear different opinions on it ranging from " don't do it, you'll blow the trans " to " do a complete trans fluid flush and change " . Any opinions on this, and should I do it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to hear the opinions as well.  I have an '01 Dakota that I bought in '07 with ~42,000 miles.  Transmission went out 6 months later ~50,000 miles.  

It's about to hit 100k in the next month or two, so I've been wondering whether to replace the fluid, flush the system, or leave it alone.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They still using the 5-45RFE trans in that year?  I have that one in my WJ (2002).  Has 2 filters, sump and spin-on.  I've been doing trans fluid changes at least every 50K on it.  First trans let go at 200K, but that was just a snap ring that holds the OD (4/5) gear clutches together.  But, I replaced it with a reman trans that now has about 68K on it.

I highly recommend that you put a drain plug in the pan when you drop it.  Makes subsequent fluid changes much less messy.

So, yes.  Change the fluid.  You don't get it all out anyway, so new will mix with old.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
drop pan, replace filter, refill.  every 30k miles, just like the diffs.  Don't do a "flush"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
And use ATF+4 fluid ONLY!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I said, I wanted to hear from different people. Some old school mechanics have told me to let it be, and don't touch it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Regular fluid changes and a good cooler are what makes an automatic transmission last.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Generally, if it's an older vehicle which has never had regular maintenance, you let it go. If it has had regular maintenance, go ahead and continue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Very easy to do.  Do a quick search for a B&M transmission plug.  You can a basically DIY a drain plug so that the next time you do it, you can drain the pan first, before taking it off.  That saves a lot of mess.  It literally is as easy as changing your own oil.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regular fluid changes and a good cooler are what makes an automatic transmission last.
View Quote

My truck does have a transmission cooler on it now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They still using the 5-45RFE trans in that year?  I have that one in my WJ (2002).  Has 2 filters, sump and spin-on.  I've been doing trans fluid changes at least every 50K on it.  First trans let go at 200K, but that was just a snap ring that holds the OD (4/5) gear clutches together.  But, I replaced it with a reman trans that now has about 68K on it.

I highly recommend that you put a drain plug in the pan when you drop it.  Makes subsequent fluid changes much less messy.

So, yes.  Change the fluid.  You don't get it all out anyway, so new will mix with old.  
View Quote

yes he would have the 5-45.

OP, I've had three Rams over the last 10 years.  Every 30k-40k I drop pan replace BOTH filters.  Each truck was owned for over 100k miles and Ive never had a trans failure of any kind.  These trucks were used towing/off road/ burnouts/some drag strip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top