Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:08:29 AM EDT
Apparently all the journalists were all ordered to maintain radio silence until today. This is the first review I've seen for the Hellcat so far:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/07/review-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-6mt/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The fuel system keeps pace with an in-tank pump that accommodates variable pressures, half-inch fuel

lines and eight injectors each capable of delivering a flow rate of 600cc/min – enough to drain the fuel

tank in approximately 13 minutes at full power.

'Murica!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fuel system keeps pace with an in-tank pump that accommodates variable pressures, half-inch fuel
lines and eight injectors each capable of delivering a flow rate of 600cc/min – enough to drain the fuel
tank in approximately 13 minutes at full power.

'Murica!

View Quote

What if I told you my 7-8 year old german DI engine has piezo injectors, two fuel pumps and has well over 1000cc flow rate all from factory?

One of my customers is a dodge dealership, can't wait til they get one in so I can touch it and see it in person.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the attraction?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The 2,380cc/rev blower features integral charge coolers

LOL that's basically the same CC as the whole engine in my car.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the attraction?
View Quote

Really?

A $60k car pushing 707hp right off the dealer lot with a full warranty.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I need more explanation than that.

Why pay $60k for one characteristic?  Does it have the suspension, gearing and tires to take advantage of the engine output?  In what way is engine output tied to automotive performance, other than wheel spinning and gasoline consumption.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why pay $60k for one characteristic?  Does it have the suspension, gearing and tires to take advantage of the engine output?  In what way is engine output tied to automotive performance, other than wheel spinning and gasoline consumption.
View Quote

The hurt of butt is strong with you.

Sometimes, "yee f--kin HAAAA!!!!!!!!" is enough in the automotive world.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Hahaha!!

I believe, although I cannot say for sure, that this transmission, like the Hellcat’s HEMI, is made in Mexico.
View Quote

Yeah, make fun of my Ohio made Honda now....
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is the attraction?
View Quote
I bet you drive a Volvo

A beige one!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the attraction?

Really?

A $60k car pushing 707hp right off the dealer lot with a full warranty.

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1832904.1403024667!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat.jpg

That thing probably is great on straightaways, but probably corners like a brick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes, "yee f--kin HAAAA!!!!!!!!" is enough in the automotive world.
View Quote

Okay, but $60k just for a yee-ha!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sometimes, "yee f--kin HAAAA!!!!!!!!" is enough in the automotive world for the mouth breathers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes, "yee f--kin HAAAA!!!!!!!!" is enough in the automotive world for the mouth breathers.

Fixed that for you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why pay $60k for one characteristic? Does it have the suspension, gearing and tires to take advantage of the engine output? In what way is engine output tied to automotive performance, other than wheel spinning and gasoline consumption.
View Quote

Fixed that for you.

You guys are right, we just need more of this:

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I bet you drive a Volvo  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the attraction?
I bet you drive a Volvo  

A beige one!
Hey!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember the end of the muscle car era back in the late 60's and early 70's.  Manufacturers finally had stock products with large displacement, high output engines - 454's, 380's, etc.  Just a couple of years after these products reached the market, the economy tanked, unemployment was double-digit, the oil embargoes hit, inflation was through the roof.  

Shortly after these products came to market, the makers were scrambling to deal with new CPSC and EPA requirements; high-priced, hard to get gasoline; outrageous interest rates on auto loans (20+%); inflation-driven purchase price increases and more.  These forces pushed them to give us products like the Mustang II.  

In my mind, those BIG muscle cars became symbols of an era that, unknown to me at the time, had already ended.  Mind you, I hope I am completely wrong about this but it seems to me we could be in the same situation with the release of this car/engine.  It just seems like the timing is wrong.

I did read the OP's article.  I got nothing out of it except marketing hype.  If you are not intimately familiar to the SRT8, the article is borderline meaningless.  Half the text is reprinting the maker's press release.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
By part value, the Hellcat engine is 91 percent new compared to the 6.4-liter Apache V8 on which it’s based. New stuff: rocker covers, high-heat heads, high-heat exhaust valves, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, block, oil pan, oil pump. And, of course, the supercharger. Most of the carryover was measurements (bore, bore centers, valve locations), fasteners, and hang-on parts like the alternator.
View All Quotes
By part value, the Hellcat engine is 91 percent new compared to the 6.4-liter Apache V8 on which it’s based. New stuff: rocker covers, high-heat heads, high-heat exhaust valves, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, block, oil pan, oil pump. And, of course, the supercharger. Most of the carryover was measurements (bore, bore centers, valve locations), fasteners, and hang-on parts like the alternator.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-first-drive

Look out for those all new "high heat" parts and oil pan! These reviews are bullshit spec sheets some HR dumbshit typed up. Why don't you contact an engineer for more in-dept details. Run along, adults are talking. Oh wait, but it has 707 HP!  

Quoted:
Quoted:
[div style='text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(213, 212, 213);']Quoted:
Quoted:

Why pay $60k for one characteristic? Does it have the suspension, gearing and tires to take advantage of the engine output? In what way is engine output tied to automotive performance, other than wheel spinning and gasoline consumption.

Fixed that for you.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/262/530/6/S2625306/slug/l/generic2-1.jpg

Another muscle car with a big V8 that only goes fast in a straight line. That's the definition of vanilla ice cream sweetheart.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
These sorts of driver reviews are the exact reason why the Hellcat will only appeal to 1320 fans:

There’s a certain viciousness you get with a ZR1 or GT500 that is blunted by the Chally’s weight here. Big motor, pushing a big car, and as a result things feel under control. It never occurred to me not to give it full throttle in a straight line on an eighty-degree Portland day. Change this to a Kentucky backroad with accumulated oil and grit, and drop the temperature to fifty, and we’ll talk about it again.
View All Quotes
There’s a certain viciousness you get with a ZR1 or GT500 that is blunted by the Chally’s weight here. Big motor, pushing a big car, and as a result things feel under control. It never occurred to me not to give it full throttle in a straight line on an eighty-degree Portland day. Change this to a Kentucky backroad with accumulated oil and grit, and drop the temperature to fifty, and we’ll talk about it again.

Unlike the Shelby, it’s far from underbraked, for a ponycar. Don’t expect Corvette-level braking performance here. There ain’t a disc brake big enough for that unless it’s on a triple-seven Boeing. This is a big car with good solid damping and big brakes, but it’s not a Corvette.  Neither is it a Z/28, not that you expected it. The Z/28 has better brakes and a lot more tire compound and it’s a bit smaller. I wouldn’t expect the Hellcat to see the nose of a Z/28 on a track, unless you’re on Road America and it’s the first lap.

Drivers who want the on-track aplomb of a Mustang or Camaro need not apply.

So the hate has nothing to do with folks who want more "vanilla," the hate comes from the fact that the car's driving ideology is a quarter mile and burnouts and big HP; not grace and power and speed and control wrapped into one awesome package.   Aside fromquarter and half-milers, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would pick this over a new C7.

But that's why there's Corvettes and Challengers, I guess. Appeals to vastly different driving styles.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-first-drive

Look out for those all new "high heat" parts and oil pan! These reviews are bullshit spec sheets some HR dumbshit typed up. Why don't you contact an engineer for more in-dept details. Run along, adults are talking. Oh wait, but it has 707 HP!  

Another muscle car with a big V8 that only goes fast in a straight line. That's the definition of vanilla ice cream sweetheart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed that for you.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/262/530/6/S2625306/slug/l/generic2-1.jpg

How many people have autocross tracks in their backyard they can run on? How many have totally empty back roads that twist and turn and you see no one else for hours?  How many people will never haul anyone else but themselves and one passenger around?

I will absolutely agree there are better all around packages but lets have a bit of honesty, very few buyers of any of these cars are ever going to run them on the track or at 10 10ths of their capability more then a few times. None of these cars NEED all that horsepower OR handling to drive on the street. But it's a GREAT thing that it exists and you can buy it if you want to.

And vanilla ice cream is a Toyota corolla or Honda Accord. Basic transportation, point A to point B mundane 4 wheel grocery getter rides.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only in a straight line? I think Z06, Z28, ZR1, ZL1, and V-class want to have a word with you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
That car is bad ass!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How many people have autocross tracks in their backyard they can run on? How many have totally empty back roads that twist and turn and you see no one else for hours?  How many people will never haul anyone else but themselves and one passenger around?

I will absolutely agree there are better all around packages but lets have a bit of honesty, very few buyers of any of these cars are ever going to run them on the track or at 10 10ths of their capability more then a few times. None of these cars NEED all that horsepower OR handling to drive on the street. But it's a GREAT thing that it exists and you can buy it if you want to.

And vanilla ice cream is a Toyota corolla or Honda Accord. Basic transportation, point A to point B mundane 4 wheel grocery getter rides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed that for you.

2 road courses, historic drag track, two air strips that shut down for 1/2 mile and full mile rolling start drag races, and miles of hill country back roads leading into Ca wine  country.

I got it pretty good.

95 Mustang Cobra is being built for road course track days and occassional autocross.    05 GT is the toy for playing with when my 95 is down dueto broken or being worked on.  The 95 gets flogged regularly.   Just flat out stupid fun with just enough horsepower to not bite your head off if you are stupid.    If I hit my NA rwhp goals it will be an entirely new car.

In a year or two I hope to either add a 2015 GT or a Factory Five 65 Coupe to the mix.  I am leaning towards the 65 Daytona clone, 400+rwhp and 2400 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
we should thank God factory cars like this are still for sale in this  day and age. . merica,hell yes!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
we should thank God factory cars like this are still for sale in this  day and age. . merica,hell yes!
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Good ol Muscle car rejuvenation my friends......got to love it..

I think it is great we have these modern day grunts being bought back. back a few years ago you had chevy bring out the SSR truck to go a semi old school look. Then you had a few other GM wonders, remember the Grand nationals, syclone's and typhoons. All 6cyl turbo cars putting down faster times than a corvette . Then the dodge/Chrysler camp responded with the viper and the prowlers , now the challengers (Sorry charger folks they are cool, but 4 door). Heck rember the dodge spirit RT 225 hp 4cyl turbo car.  Ford played but stayed with the Mustang, did the Shelby cobras etc. Then the had the Ford GT, remake of the gold GT40... Hell dodge's threat to the corvette , "the little red express" truck in 1978. It off the showroom floor had faster 1/4 mile slips then the vette.

Sorry but the current world of the Honda SI , or VW GTI, Audi S cars, Nissan GTR's all cool....BUT they just don't have the attitude or grunt the American V8 muscle cars command .

Snert...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only in a straight line? I think Z06, Z28, ZR1, ZL1, and V-class want to have a word with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is about an 707hp challenger. Not track focused ZL1 or magnetic ride suspension. BTW the corvette is classified as a sports car, not muscle car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Camaros and Mustangs are classified as pony cars and not muscle cars.  I think the Challenger is the only "muscle car" around today.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This thread is about an 707hp challenger. Not track focused ZL1 or magnetic ride suspension. BTW the corvette is classified as a sports car, not muscle car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can call it whatever you want.  They're American cars with big V8s that corner well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#30]
How hard would it be to throw a set of Brembos on it and some springs?

But like its been stated before, its a muscle car for $60k, not a Porsche. Comparing the two is to compare a SR-71 to an F-16...although, the SR-71 probably gets better mileage than the Hellcat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But like its been stated before, its a muscle car for $60k, not a Porsche. Comparing the two is to compare a SR-71 to an F-16...although, the SR-71 probably gets better mileage than the Hellcat.

View Quote

The Hellcat already comes with 15.4" six piston Brembos.  You aint gonna improve on that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I've seen it in person a few times already (It's in Portland, OR).

Last week they brought it and a Super Bee Challenger concept to a local cars and coffee meet up I go to.  It's a great looking car and the interior looks really nice.  I love it and I hate 99% of American cars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Hellcat already comes with 15.4" six piston Brembos.  You aint gonna improve on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanne bet? A good MB or BM costs 2-3 times as much for a reason
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#34]
It's why the terrorists hate us.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I think its awesome lots of car for the money and there is already work on bigger pullies for more power . My only upgrade would be a slight drop all around and deepdish offset wheels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What is the attraction?
View Quote

if you have to ask...

BTW, power is where it's at...  Handling is way overrated on the street.  As long as it decent and not roll over boat, that is fine for the street.  I drive my F-150 faster around town than mustang since in corners and dips, I have a lot more clearance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

if you have to ask...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the attraction?

if you have to ask...

I am amazed it took someone this long to get around to posting this.  I knew it was coming.  

I look at automobiles in terms of life cycle cost.  I should run the numbers on this one.  What do you think will be the useful life and cost of replacement for a 700+ HP engine that gets used as a play toy?

I snagged this post from the other thread on the Hellcat.  Be honest, he nailed it.

Quoted:
That is a car you can buy, drive a few miles, and throw a tarp over it in your garage. Every once in awhile, when you are in the garage having a beer........take that tarp off.......admire it and caress it gently. Sit in it and smell the upholstery. Put the tarp back on it.  Show it to an occasional visitor to your house.

In 20 years the car will be worth a fortune.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top