Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 10:57:15 AM EDT
It's got 155k miles. Some bad piston slap when warming up but otherwise seems to be running fine.

Seemed to get worse after I had the oil changed recently.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll run for decades the jeep 4.0 is not known as a quiet engine.

What oil did you put in it? If it wasn't 15-40 rotella it needs to be.

Get rid of the Fram or Fram made filter too and most of your noise will go away
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
you could put heavier oil in it like 2nd poster said. i wouldnt worry about it though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep driving it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep driving it.
View Quote

After the OP replaces the "quick lube" filter with a quality one (wix mopar ect)

I6 engines especially the 4.0 and ford 300 are extremely sensitive to shitty oil filters. The OP comment of "after an oil change" is a red flag for this
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After the OP replaces the "quick lube" filter with a quality one (wix mopar ect)

I6 engines especially the 4.0 and ford 300 are extremely sensitive to shitty oil filters. The OP comment of "after an oil change" is a red flag for this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep driving it.

how does an oil filter cause/stop/affect piston slap?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My 98 Cherokee has 200k on it I usually change oil well past the service limit (say 6000 miles) and change the filter. It's a noisy engine, but seems to be built like a tank.
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep driving it.

People think every noise an engine makes is piston slap these days.

Riddle me this. How does a fresh oil change cause it to start?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep driving it.

different weight oil may hide the sound some.  old dino oil is thicker than new dino oil of the same weight.  

I still don't see how changing a filter would do anything though
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

different weight oil may hide the sound some.  old dino oil is thicker than new dino oil of the same weight.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep driving it.

Well for starters you don't end up repriming the entire oiling system each time the engine sits for a few minutes.  A functioning anti drain back valve in the filter is critical for these and other engines where the filter isn't mounted top skyward. Something you simply don't have in a Fram or made by Fram oil change joint filters

I've been here and done this. These engines like no other will teach a person the importance of a quality (read not orange) oil filter
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the arfcom of the jeep world?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jeepforums.

They'll tell you the same thing I did
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Jeepforums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeepforums.

Not at all questioning you guys. I was just wondering if jeepforums was better than the other 4x4 places. Like m4carbine.net is a pale imitation of arfcom :)

ETA: I happen to have 10gal of rotellaT for my truck that I'll put some into my jeep next oil change.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty happy at wranglerforum.com lots of traffic and lots of help, links and stickies. Not a lot of trolling.... jeepforum is ok but I am not a member there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pirate4x4

Ask all of your questions in Hardcore Tech. Really smart and friendly guys over there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pirate4x4

Ask all of your questions in Hardcore Tech. Really smart and friendly guys over there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pirate4x4

and make your username Charlie Wenzel
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Been running synthetic with ZDDP for most of its life in my 1993 XJ 4.0.

No leaks, no issues. Don't even have piston slap and its pushing 300K.

I think the only thing I've ever replaced on it was starters and the instrument cluster.

Been a hell of a rig.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
4 engines that just don't know when to die…

AMC 4.0
Cummins 5.9 (unless its a common rail with the factory injectors around 150k miles)
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

Just let it run. My XJ is pretty close to yours in milage. Keep driving it until it refuses to run. Then you rebuild and stroke it to a 4.2.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My '95 Cherokee with that same 4.0l engine had 230,000 miles and still going strong, other than a rear main seal leak. I sold it for a Wrangler. 2000, 120k now.

Has anyone ever seen one of these engines die?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AMC 4.0
Cummins 5.9 (unless its a common rail with the factory injectors around 150k miles)
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

Just let it run. My XJ is pretty close to yours in milage. Keep driving it until it refuses to run. Then you rebuild and stroke it to a 4.2.
View Quote

Amc 4.2 (258) even carbed are pretty good runners. Even as a carbed motor they can last a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

If you stroke a 4.0 with the 258 crank, its typically a 4.6L.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My '95 Cherokee with that same 4.0l engine had 230,000 miles and still going strong, other than a rear main seal leak. I sold it for a Wrangler. 2000, 120k now.

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Amc 4.2 (258) even carbed are pretty good runners. Even as a carbed motor they can last a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMC 4.0
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

INTERESTING

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/stroker40/index.asp
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

do tell.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMC 4.0
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

INTERESTING

If your lucky you'll get 20,000 miles out of one before it's puking oil out all over the place from blow by caused by excessive cylinder wear resulting from the really bad rod angles involved
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If your lucky you'll get 20,000 miles out of one before it's puking oil out all over the place from blow by caused by excessive cylinder wear resulting from the really bad rod angles involved
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMC 4.0
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

INTERESTING

Does .25" of extra stroke really matter that much? Wouldn't the original 258 have had the same problem?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep driving it.

Exactly. People with no knowledge on the subject, especially about vehicles, should just not post. Wrong information is worse than no information.

OP, as mentioned, they're noisy motors. But beasts nonetheless. Oil won't help piston slap, if it truly is piston slap. Thicker oil will help with rod knock and noise lifters. If you noticed something different after you changed your oil then that should tell you right there.
I suggest the Rotella and grabbing a quality filter like Wix.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

do tell.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

do tell.....

I'm not sure there's many internal combustion motors on the planet that can suck a few quarts of water through the intake and survive.

When you're sitting in a mudhole and watch an oil slick float by your door... Yeah the motor is FUBAR no matter how tough.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:I'm not sure there's many internal combustion motors on the planet that can suck a few quarts of water through the intake and survive.

When you're sitting in a mudhole and watch an oil slick float by your door... Yeah the motor is FUBAR no matter how tough.
View Quote

Well, did you try it afterward ?

yeah, i'd call that dead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's what I found:

There are two roads to building the 4.0L stroker. The budget method uses a 258 crank, 258 rods (5.875-inch long), and pistons with the stock 4.0L piston pin height (around 1.60 inches.). This is called the "short-rod" engine. The more expensive "long-rod" method uses the 258 crank, the longer 4.0L rods (6.125-inch) and a shorter piston pin height dimension (slightly variable but around 1.38 inches).

While the differences in a long- and short-rod motor can be huge in a high-revving', mega-power V-8 engine, the performance differences between the long- and short-rod Jeep engines is small. That's partly the inherent design limitations of an inline-six with a long stroke, and partly the way the engines will be used. The long-rod Jeep strokers offer a somewhat broader rpm range and, in theory, the short-rod setup is subject to more wear. Frankly, we doubt the wear differences will amount to much for most of you. The rod ratio (the ratio of rod length and stroke length) of the short-rod engine is identical to the stock 258, and they were known for a long life. Because we wanted to make this an "every man's" budget stroker, offering mainly a big boost in torque in the ranges where most 'wheelers work, we stuck with the short-rod option and off-the shelf parts.

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0711-1987-2006-jeep-40l-inline-six/#ixzz38tOAkrzX
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMC 4.0
Ford 4.9
Vortec 4.2

INTERESTING

Sounds like the Titan 4.6L kit, most homebrew strokers last as long as a regular 4.0 block. Titan and Golan's stroker kits have been known for shit build quality and general high failure rates. Most stroker folks know this.

Friend of mine has been running a 4.6L that he threw together in 1995 as his daily driver for awhile now. I think he runs roller rockers and a HV oil pump and a 258 4 barrel carb intake, but the rest is pretty much stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top