Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 4:43:55 PM EDT
Here is a video I made showing how to do your own wiring harness for the injectors. A lot of older 80s cars are getting to the point that their harnesses are dried out and in need of dire repair. All of my spares are pretty rough and I needed a sequential harness anyway so...

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool little video.

The worst part that I have found is finding the part numbers for the actual connectors. If you manage to find the connector part numbers, it then is difficult to find the manufacturer for the parts. If you find the manufacturer then you have to see if they have them, which in most cases for me is no. So then if you are lucky enough to get them to do a production run it is usually 200 of each one, but price is a couple dollars each. The pins for the connectors are so hard to find, usually about $0.05-0.10 per and a minimum order quantity in the mid thousands.  (This is all speaking for a Ford application).

There are some aftermarket companies that stock connectors and pins, but they want usually between $20-$100 for each connector, and $0.30-$0.50 cents per pin.

I know in my searches for Ford electrical stuff, over the last year  or so. I contacted like six or seven manufacturers that at one point made stuff for Ford, Finding electrical pins/connectors has got to be the most frustrating part of a vehicle project.  I see GM Weather Pack and Dodge terminals/connectors all day long for good prices.  Ford on the other hand has control over their pins and connectors and one must get a release to be able to purchase them.

I've always wanted to see how the factory manufacturers a full vehicle wiring harness with 104 wires or better. I know Delphi has an automated wire harness machine. Sure would be cool to get a hold of the original spec/engineering drawings for various harnesses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You have more patience than I do, OP. Good video though.

My lazy ass was able to buy a new completed harness for my application. Holley offers a variety of them if any other impatient people need one.

http://www.holley.com/types/Injector%20Harnesses.asp

eta: They have some Ford stuff, Chromekilla.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have more patience than I do, OP. Good video though.

My lazy ass was able to buy a new completed harness for my application. Holley offers a variety of them if any other impatient people need one.

http://www.holley.com/types/Injector%20Harnesses.asp

eta: They have some Ford stuff, Chromekilla.
View Quote

Thanks bud.

Yeah nothing for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cool little video.

The worst part that I have found is finding the part numbers for the actual connectors. If you manage to find the connector part numbers, it then is difficult to find the manufacturer for the parts. If you find the manufacturer then you have to see if they have them, which in most cases for me is no. So then if you are lucky enough to get them to do a production run it is usually 200 of each one, but price is a couple dollars each. The pins for the connectors are so hard to find, usually about $0.05-0.10 per and a minimum order quantity in the mid thousands.  (This is all speaking for a Ford application).

There are some aftermarket companies that stock connectors and pins, but they want usually between $20-$100 for each connector, and $0.30-$0.50 cents per pin.

I know in my searches for Ford electrical stuff, over the last year  or so. I contacted like six or seven manufacturers that at one point made stuff for Ford, Finding electrical pins/connectors has got to be the most frustrating part of a vehicle project.  I see GM Weather Pack and Dodge terminals/connectors all day long for good prices.  Ford on the other hand has control over their pins and connectors and one must get a release to be able to purchase them.

I've always wanted to see how the factory manufacturers a full vehicle wiring harness with 104 wires or better. I know Delphi has an automated wire harness machine. Sure would be cool to get a hold of the original spec/engineering drawings for various harnesses.
View Quote

I hear you there! I think I may mention it in the video, but I had the hardest time choosing a power distribution block for this project solely because I was unable to find PNs for the terminals. I ended up going with a block out of a 94 lebaron because it uses the same terminals as the 1st gen neons and the later 89+ Chrysler cars. Due to that I have a few extra pig tail pieces I can solder on to.

I have a lead on a good block that is modular and aftermarket, but I need to do some more research before showing it off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I just dumped a mortgage payment on wire and connectors this past week as engine harnesses for Porsches are going NLA or they want $2200.00 for one.  I feel your pain OP, while time consuming I'm sure it is rewarding.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I just dumped a mortgage payment on wire and connectors this past week as engine harnesses for Porsches are going NLA or they want $2200.00 for one.  I feel your pain OP, while time consuming I'm sure it is rewarding.  
View Quote

I hear you there. They want $800 for a Neon engine harness when you can find one. That's more than the cars are worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top