Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 8:19:57 AM EDT
(Cross-post from GD.  Figured might get more responses here.)

What sayeth the Hive? Would be replacing a Saturn Vue that we're outgrowing rapidly (car is paid off). Would like to buy one a year or two old, but may end up buying new. IF we end up buying it won't be till the Fall, most likely.

Through work I can get the Ford X-Plan pricing, but a family friend is very high in management at the dealer and gave us a decent price on '14 BASE or XLT a bit below the X-Plan.

We looked at the 2014 Pathfinder S and SV yesterday, but I haven't driven one yet. I got to have an Explorer Limited as a rental a week or two ago- really liked it, but it had all the bells and whistles, many of which we don't really need.

Looking at the specs, they're both very close inside and out on room, size, etc. Warranties are the same, IIRC (3yr/36k, 5yr/60k). 5 yr cost to own favors the Pathfinder by a few thousand.

So....who likes what?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking a 4wd versions?  Is off-road capability important?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, didn't think to mention that.  

I would like to have a 4wd, but it's not a deal breaker.  We're in Kansas; the winters aren't horrible, but we can definitely get a fair bit of snow.  This will primarily be for my wife, so I'd like to have something that handles a bit better in the snow when we do get it.  

We will not be doing any off-road stuff per say, but her family has a bit of land out in the boonies that we go to often.  95% of the time 2wd works just fine.  If it's muddy/snowy there are places we will not drive through, but 4x4 would probably change that.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nissan
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(Cross-post from GD.  Figured might get more responses here.)

What sayeth the Hive? Would be replacing a Saturn Vue that we're outgrowing rapidly (car is paid off). Would like to buy one a year or two old, but may end up buying new. IF we end up buying it won't be till the Fall, most likely.[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']Through work I can get the Ford X-Plan pricing, but a family friend is very high in management at the dealer and gave us a decent price on '14 BASE or XLT a bit below the X-Plan.
[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']We looked at the 2014 Pathfinder S and SV yesterday, but I haven't driven one yet. I got to have an Explorer Limited as a rental a week or two ago- really liked it, but it had all the bells and whistles, many of which we don't really need.
[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']Looking at the specs, they're both very close inside and out on room, size, etc. Warranties are the same, IIRC (3yr/36k, 5yr/60k). 5 yr cost to own favors the Pathfinder by a few thousand.

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']So....who likes what?

View Quote

I would skip both and go for a Toyota highlander.

The Ford is meh on the interior, and the exterior is so so.

The Pathfinder has the shit cvt transmission.

The explorer didn't do well on the IIHS small overlap test (pathfinder is untested, but I doubt it would have done well either)

The highlander design is recently refreshed does decent on the iihs small overlap test and is built well as toyota's generally are.  if you are waiting till the fall you will likely be able to get a decent deal on at 2014 highlander as the 2015's come in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Every nissan my family has ever had has fallen apart or had issues, and the interiors all seem poorly made and fall apart.  They've largely been a bust, and we've collectively had 5 of them.

I have an explorer and its a VERY comfortable car.  I got the sport model with the Ecoboost so that definitely is a different route than what you're looking at, but its 4WD system did very very well for me this winter, and it was one of the worst winter's we've had in Chicago in a very long time.  I had some stupid issues with the car right off the bat, but Ford stepped up and made everything more than right.

The Nissan may be more capable in a true off road sense, but If you're like 99.99% of SUV owners, thats not a concern....nor is it truly a concern for most people that even do a little more spirited off the road driving.

If you're going to lift it and put on some mudders.....the Nissan will be a better choice.  For anything else, the Ford will be just as good, and way more comfortable on the road.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Explorer
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Every nissan my family has ever had has fallen apart or had issues, and the interiors all seem poorly made and fall apart.  They've largely been a bust, and we've collectively had 5 of them.

I have an explorer and its a VERY comfortable car.  I got the sport model with the Ecoboost so that definitely is a different route than what you're looking at, but its 4WD system did very very well for me this winter, and it was one of the worst winter's we've had in Chicago in a very long time.  I had some stupid issues with the car right off the bat, but Ford stepped up and made everything more than right.

The Nissan may be more capable in a true off road sense, but If you're like 99.99% of SUV owners, thats not a concern....nor is it truly a concern for most people that even do a little more spirited off the road driving.

If you're going to lift it and put on some mudders.....the Nissan will be a better choice.  For anything else, the Ford will be just as good, and way more comfortable on the road.
View Quote
Great post, thank you!  You're correct- it will be a 99% road car.  We'll probably take it to the family acreage often, but it's hardly offroad.  The winters will give it more use, but ours (KS) aren't typically as bad as yours I'd think.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Pathfinder
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The Explorer is a car made to look like a truck.  You won't need to stop and put on chains as you drive to the ski resorts with the all wheel drive.  I suspect you liked it because it is car-like.  

The Nissan is a four wheel drive truck.  It is not a car and never was a car.  It is a truck, a four wheel drive truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a company 2013 Ford Taurus SEL with AWD.  It's a nice car, but the AWD system sucks.  I'm pretty sure it's the same system used in the Explorer.  Three times this winter when I really needed the AWD to function properly, a light flashed "AWD OFF" and the car became front wheel drive only.  I became stuck in snow due to this issue multiple times; the last time my rear tires were on dry pavement and flat ground, the front tires were in less than 6" of unplowed snow.  I had to shovel myself out because no power was sent to the rear tires.  Apparently, Ford engineered the system to shut down very quickly to protect itself from overheating; any amount of wheel spin and the AWD system shuts-down.  

IMHO, Ford's AWD system is a joke.  We've never had problems with my wife's Subaru, or for that matter my Ford truck.  Add in the significant depreciation common with Explorers, I'd personally buy something else (not necessarily a Pathfinder though).
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Explorer is a car made to look like a truck.  You won't need to stop and put on chains as you drive to the ski resorts with the all wheel drive.  I suspect you liked it because it is car-like.  

The Nissan is a four wheel drive truck.  It is not a car and never was a car.  It is a truck, a four wheel drive truck.
View Quote

Nope. Front wheel drive (optional AWD), unibody, etc
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.  That all changed with the new design.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No to what?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No to what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No to what?

Like the Explorer, the new Pathfinder is also a car.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No to what?

Right. The only traditional "truck like" SUV Nissan makes now is the Xterra.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a company 2013 Ford Taurus SEL with AWD.  It's a nice car, but the AWD system sucks.  I'm pretty sure it's the same system used in the Explorer.  Three times this winter when I really needed the AWD to function properly, a light flashed "AWD OFF" and the car became front wheel drive only.  I became stuck in snow due to this issue multiple times; the last time my rear tires were on dry pavement and flat ground, the front tires were in less than 6" of unplowed snow.  I had to shovel myself out because no power was sent to the rear tires.  Apparently, Ford engineered the system to shut down very quickly to protect itself from overheating; any amount of wheel spin and the AWD system shuts-down.  

IMHO, Ford's AWD system is a joke.  We've never had problems with my wife's Subaru, or for that matter my Ford truck.  Add in the significant depreciation common with Explorers, I'd personally buy something else (not necessarily a Pathfinder though).
View Quote

My explorer has none of these issues and while its technically more of an AWD system than anything, its a different programming than the Taurus and considered 4wd.  It has different modes for different terrain unlike an all-time awd system, which actually make quite a difference when you're using them properly.

My explorer made one of the roughest winters we've ever had a cake walk.

Unless you're modding the vehicle for serious off road use, the new car-based SUV's do everything truck based ones do for 99.999% of all drivers.  They ride better, handle better, stop better.  Thats more important to me than the one time I may decide to drive my explorer up a mountain.  This is my first SUV, and I've had cars for the past 13 years, and I've never once found anything I couldn't do, even with a car.  A lifted car that puts power to every wheel.....good enough for me!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
No offense but 99% of the cars on the road made it through what you referred to as a rough winter.  My rear-wheel drive BMW made it through the Illinois winter with no problem.  It is due to knowing how to drive in the snow and having decent tires.  

The new Explorers are mediocre at best.  They do nothing especially well and nothing especially bad.  They are not SUV's in my opinion.  They are Crossovers and they get the job done in a very average way.

That being said I would not own one.  As I mentioned in another thread 2 co-workers with new Explorers have already had transmission issues and one of them had intercooler problems that seem to be quite common in many of the EcoBoosts.  Depreciation is awful, as well.  

Quoted:

My explorer has none of these issues and while its technically more of an AWD system than anything, its a different programming than the Taurus and considered 4wd.  It has different modes for different terrain unlike an all-time awd system, which actually make quite a difference when you're using them properly.

Unless you're modding the vehicle for serious off road use, the new car-based SUV's do everything truck based ones do for 99.999% of all drivers.  They ride better, handle better, stop better.  Thats more important to me than the one time I may decide to drive my explorer up a mountain.  This is my first SUV, and I've had cars for the past 13 years, and I've never once found anything I couldn't do, even with a car.  A lifted car that puts power to every wheel.....good enough for me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Unless you're modding the vehicle for serious off road use using the vehicle off road, the new car-based SUV's do everything truck based ones do for 99.999% of all drivers.  They ride better, handle better, stop better.  Thats more important to me than the one time I may decide to drive my explorer up a mountain.  This is my first SUV, and I've had cars for the past 13 years, and I've never once found anything I couldn't do, even with a car.  A lifted car that puts power to every wheel.....good enough for me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're modding the vehicle for serious off road use using the vehicle off road, the new car-based SUV's do everything truck based ones do for 99.999% of all drivers.  They ride better, handle better, stop better.  Thats more important to me than the one time I may decide to drive my explorer up a mountain.  This is my first SUV, and I've had cars for the past 13 years, and I've never once found anything I couldn't do, even with a car.  A lifted car that puts power to every wheel.....good enough for me!

I'm not trying to argue, but the new Explorer does terribly off road. Their AWD system will do fine in plowed/packed snow, but it sucks when you need to get through more difficult terrain.  I'd imagine it's a fine vehicle for cities and the suburbs.  

I get a little frustrated because consumers buy vehicles originally designed for off road use and then demand less off road capability in exchange for more car like comfort and performance.  That leaves people like me who value (or even need) off road capability SOL.  I realize I'm in the minority though and that's not what this thread is about.    

Skip to 1:40 and you'll get a pretty good sense of the Explorer's limitations.  It got stuck very quickly on trails that a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover, and an older Toyota pickup had no problems with at all:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No to what?

Armada

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No offense but 99% of the cars on the road made it through what you referred to as a rough winter.  My rear-wheel drive BMW made it through the Illinois winter with no problem.  It is due to knowing how to drive in the snow and having decent tires.  

The new Explorers are mediocre at best.  They do nothing especially well and nothing especially bad.  They are not SUV's in my opinion.  They are Crossovers and they get the job done in a very average way.

That being said I would not own one.  As I mentioned in another thread 2 co-workers with new Explorers have already had transmission issues and one of them had intercooler problems that seem to be quite common in many of the EcoBoosts.  Depreciation is awful, as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, out of the 7 we have that get the shit kicked out of them daily, weve had zero problems....and I bet were rougher on them than your coworkers.  I also find that mine does plenty of things well, but then again Im biased.  But then again, unlike you, Ive actually driven them too.  And yes, Im aware most cars did fine.  Im used to driving crown vics in winter too and I survived.  Sure was much easier in my explorer though.  Glad youre a good driver, cant tell you how many rwd and overall smaller vehicles I sat next to this winter waiting for tows.

Comimg from an owner, Im happy with it.  I also didnt buy it to take on a trail, so keep that in mind.  That isnt a concern of mine, thus I cant speak to it...but sure, crossover may be a better category.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to argue, but the new Explorer does terribly off road. Their AWD system will do fine in plowed/packed snow, but it sucks when you need to get through more difficult terrain.  I'd imagine it's a fine vehicle for cities and the suburbs.  

I get a little frustrated because consumers buy vehicles originally designed for off road use and then demand less off road capability in exchange for more car like comfort and performance.  That leaves people like me who value (or even need) off road capability SOL.  I realize I'm in the minority though and that's not what this thread is about.    

Skip to 1:40 and you'll get a pretty good sense of the Explorer's limitations.  It got stuck very quickly on trails that a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover, and an older Toyota pickup had no problems with at all:

http://youtu.be/135d_imepQU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No arguement here, I didnt buy it for trails...I bought it for reasons you said.  Roomy comfortable commuter that can handle any roadway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Good discussion and very interesting to read.  Thanks for the info from both sides.  Sounds like the Explorer would do just fine for what we need to do with it, but we're certainly not settled on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Armada  
An SUV that large doesn't interest me, so in my mind I always just forget it even exists You're right, though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with you, I need an SUV with towing capcity for my boat and ATV's  now that SUV has been perverted to mean top heavy car the towing capacities are way down and the only thing you are left with is full size SUV's
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Armada

An SUV that large doesn't interest me, so in my mind I always just forget it even exists You're right, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Armada

HA! It is an odd size though- not as big feeling as a Tahoe, but not as small as the Xterra. Horrible resale, which has me looking at used ones. . .
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
So, we just went out browsing more models.  Stopped at the Honda and Toyota dealers.  Looked at the Pilot, 4Runner and Highlander.

1.  Pilot....meh, sorta want.

2.  Highlander....

3.  4Runner....   I think I have a serious problem on my hands.  I WANT ONE and I didn't even drive one.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Hammered out a great deal on a lease for a 14 explorer sport. Going to pick it up on Saturday or Monday. Hopefully everything works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top