Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2014 9:17:56 PM EDT
I've been looking for a fixer-up to cafe out for this summer and I found one. Not the most ideal candidate but I'm going to work with what I've got. She isn't currently running but the engine does turn over and the guy actually had the title. A whole $500 for this beauty.

On the trailer prepped for the ride home

Home and cleaned up a little

Misc parts

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cafe goldwing? This I've got to see
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice barn find.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn. You have your work cut out.  Steve Saunders Site is a good GL resource.

ETA: GL1100 blower. DO IT!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You have my full attention. A cafe 'ed Goldwing!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Cafe racer?

should have bought a cb750

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]

yes
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cafe racer?

should have bought a cb750

View Quote

If I could have found one, I would have trust.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
oops...wrong forum

good luck with the refurb...i'll be interested in seeing what you have going on with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Something like this

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103354

been done before - not exactly cafe, more roadster type

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Those cafe GWs are bad ass. You do have your work cut out for you though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those cafe GWs are bad ass. You do have your work cut out for you though.
View Quote

I'm going to start taking as much as I can off today and hopefully and I can get some more done this weekend. I will document my progress for those that are interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103354

been done before - not exactly cafe, more roadster type

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2zrq8aq.jpg

http://youtu.be/o3NxR327E9s

View Quote

sweet!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL, I come in this side of the site, looking to see if anyone's got a Goldwing...boom.

Nice score, I pick mine up tomorrow!

'82 GL1100, $200!

I'm planning a survival bike build!

Yours looks pretty damned good, OP. I'm crawling all over the naked gold wings site, currently. These bikes, from this era, look extremely promising as project bases. Lots of things I'm liking about them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOL, I come in this side of the site, looking to see if anyone's got a Goldwing...boom.

'82 GL1100, $200!

Yours looks pretty damned good, OP. I'm crawling all over the naked gold wings site, currently. These bikes, from this era, look extremely promising as project bases. Lots of things I'm liking about them.
View Quote

Nice score, I'm about to wander outside and start taking things off. I thin the most daunting aspect is the carbs. I'm about as mechanical as a wet paper bag, but the threads on NGW make things seem simple enough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nice score, I'm about to wander outside and start taking things off. I thin the most daunting aspect is the carbs. I'm about as mechanical as a wet paper bag, but the threads on NGW make things seem simple enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

'82 GL1100, $200!

Everything I see about these bikes is pretty simple. I'm planning on doing an all balls upside down conversion, probably to a gixxer front end, and lightening up lots of stuff. Custom seat, custom racks with pelican cases, custom case savers and other protective items. LED lights, IR lights, composite tail lights. Knobbies, and might do some Touratech items on it too, plus some crap I have laying around that's sekret lol. Probably going to do a three color temperate camo job, ala 1980's US Army. Basically an updated WLA.

$200 !

ETA: Hell, come to think of it, I might have some parts I'll be taking off that you could use....I'll be posting up the project as it goes along.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Everything I see about these bikes is pretty simple. I'm planning on doing an all balls upside down conversion, probably to a gixxer front end, and lightening up lots of stuff. Custom seat, custom racks with pelican cases, custom case savers and other protective items. LED lights, IR lights, composite tail lights. Knobbies, and might do some Touratech items on it too, plus some crap I have laying around that's sekret lol. Probably going to do a three color temperate camo job, ala 1980's US Army. Basically an updated WLA.

$200 !
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k91/Czechsix/1982gl1100.jpeg

ETA: Hell, come to think of it, I might have some parts I'll be taking off that you could use....I'll be posting up the project as it goes along.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'82 GL1100, $200!

$200 !
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k91/Czechsix/1982gl1100.jpeg

Very nice. I was consider doing GSXR forks but I could find a whole lot about the conversion.

Already looking better:

Still not exactly sure which bolts are supposed to come off to get that monstrosity off the front
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll PM you some links I found to the gix conversion, and some other front ends out there. The fairing on mine is just hanging on there right now, pulls right off, so I'll take some pics and locate the fastener hardware for it, might make life a bit easier for you.

Hmm....Kryptek highlander hydrodip is looking pretty good right now ROFL.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys I'd love to see the progress pics of your builds
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guys I'd love to see the progress pics of your builds
View Quote

Agreed, cool projects keep us posted. Saw a cool custom cafe bmw on the internets that had me thinking.
Those old gold wings should be a solid platform for a project. I would think those engines are pretty bullet proof.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#23]
A little bit more done:

A pile of what was taken off

Sweet Baby Jesus

Looking way more lean
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#24]
NM-please delete - wrong topic

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like some good bits of kit you're putting on. You sticking with the tires, or swapping to????

I've got mine soaking in some mystery oil and penetrating oil. MM'd the cylinders after pulling plugs, still have to clean out an area in the shed so I can wheel her under cover. Brakes front and rear are pretty much shot and will need rebuilding, plus new hoses. I'll pull the gas tank, clean it out, pull the carbs and clean them, then do the timing belts. Then oil and filter change, will run Rotella-T like I normally do in everything. If she fires and sounds decent with no knocks or other hideous noises, then I'll go further.

Hmm..TKC-80's, skid plate, and an up pipe on both sides...then scrounge through Baja Designs back room (they're right down the road from me) and see if I can score one of their dual headlight rigs.  This is sooooooo gonna piss off the highway cruiser guys
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea the brakes are going to need a complete rebuild as well as a new MC. I'm dropping the idea of the fork swap because after finding some links, that is way beyond my skill level.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#28]
any updates? I've been toying with the idea of doing one of these older goldwings myself, they look like fun projects.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm slowly taking pieces and parts off of mine. It doe does over with the battery and just need to get her running.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I think both of us are keeping updated threads going on ngw, but to sum up for me: all extra crap taken off so far, plugs are pulled, MMO in jugs sitting, oil filter pulled and oil drained (looked pretty good), front calipers pulled, air filter pulled and checked (looks good), timing belts ready to be installed, and battery ready to be used. Also opened up the fuel tank, I'll go electrolytic cleaning on it, it's nasty in there. I'll use a pony tank to fire the engine.

I'll probably fire her up this weekend, or later this week. Actually...probably later this week, when the wife isn't around.

If mine lights off and doesn't make any horrible noises, then I'll take her further along the road.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
We almost brought a gold wing for a bobber for my son but wound up with a 90 sporty we hardtailed. The guys at monster crafts man are great at the jap bike thing. Mostly xs but I seen a goldwing they did and it was awesome. Now I really want one just to super charge it! Nothing like raw power. Please keep the pics coming. Its a relief from the normal everyday been done to death bikes you see. I have a harley ss 350 sprint my grandmom learned to ride on that we retored to a custom. Most don5 know what it is till you tell them. And with 1476 miles and alot of work its nice and reliable. My wife and I ride my hd bagger but since the custom build she doesn't like the ride.and we saw a few goldwings that we liked but she knows I cant have it look like a sofa and it would go on a diet. Which to her would defeat the purpose of buying it.so I didn't. Just got her a bike of her own.lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I was thinking about this project and wondered if any progress had been made.  Any photos of the bike (or its parts)?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#33]
cafe job on a GW? well this will certainly be interesting. I've seen some cool custom jobs done with with old wings. bobbers and roadster type things. but never a cafe
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't seen any updates from LA on NGW.com either.

I'm waiting on a carb rebuild kit before I go any farther with this. I'm putting in enough coin into mine that I've pretty much got to get it on the road lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm waiting on a carb rebuild kit before I go any farther with this. I'm putting in enough coin into mine that I've pretty much got to get it on the road lol.
View Quote

Sorry gents, I've been super busy lately and neglected the build. Currently mustering away funds to send the carbs off for a complete rebuild/polishing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Sorry gents, I've been super busy lately and neglected the build. Currently mustering away funds to send the carbs off for a complete rebuild/polishing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WAT?

Come on, get a randakk's kit and we can screw up our carbs together!

I only managed to snap off two of the idle mix screws in the carb bodies so far. Those little bastards cost $41.

My carb kit comes in early next week, or possibly by the weekend. I'll sit down one weekday and rebuild them. Bikes already got new timing belts installed, new plugs, valves set, and I have to set timing. Then carbs go on, fuel pump gets purged, and I'll see how she runs on a pony tank. I should have it done sometime within the next five years. Maybe.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Haha, exactly. Me and small mechanical parts do not coexist well. Bigger pieces, yes.

I'm halfway to a Pistol Petes rebuild/polish service.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, between the Randakk's kit, and paying for two of those mix screws, and all the assorted cans of carb spray, etc...I'm well north of $300 at this point.

Still a bit cheaper than Pete's, but I've done more than a few carbs in my life, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Just wait till I shoot them in Alumahyde II in Coyote....only set of FDE carbs in existence!

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#39]
That will definitely look very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I figure I've gotta use the rest of the can up after shooting the FAL. The finish on the carbs is absolutely shot, pitted, and aluminum oxide everywhere.  I'm not into polishing things, so I'll just paint the darned things. Maybe I should do one FDE, one OD, one brown, and one black.

Hell, maybe I should multicam dip them lol.

That'd really piss the purists off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Then put a sidecar on it and paint it od green!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Then put a sidecar on it and paint it od green!
View Quote
Only if I can put a Vickers mount on it!

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I figure I've gotta use the rest of the can up after shooting the FAL. The finish on the carbs is absolutely shot, pitted, and aluminum oxide everywhere.  I'm not into polishing things, so I'll just paint the darned things. Maybe I should do one FDE, one OD, one brown, and one black.

Hell, maybe I should multicam dip them lol.

That'd really piss the purists off.
View Quote

considering that I have purists bitch and moan about my black carbs multicam carbs would probably give them an aneurism. I say do it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Honda Dealer down the road from me has this thing in the showroom.

http://thekneeslider.com/honda-cbr-1800rr-by-cedric-smith/
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Love the misc parts bucket

Good luck with that thing
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/cbr1800rr.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't decide if thats an abomination or one of the coolest custom jobs I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I can't decide if thats an abomination or one of the coolest custom jobs I've ever seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd go with it's one of the coolest abominations....

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd say they took one of my least favorite motorcycles and made it cool.  That's a good thing.

The paint job and stickers are too much but overall, it's a cool bike.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top