Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2012 8:02:57 AM EDT
I have a 2003 BMW that, until yesterday, still was going strong with the factory battery in it.  It died yesterday, after about 10 years of use.  That's gotta be a record for Arizona, considering the heat.  All the other cars I've had (Honda Accord, Toyota, etc), had batteries that lasted 3 years on average.  I'm sure that BMW's design with having the battery go in the trunk certainly helps contribute to the longevity since it's not exposed to the extra heat of the engine.

So, props to BMW for making a battery that lasts.  Wow.

For what it's worth, the battery I replaced it with was from Autozone.  Has an 8 year warranty and cost $150.  I thought about going to BMW and getting another OEM replacement from them, but cost was an unknown and it's unlikely that I'll keep the car more than 5-6 more years.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
10 years is awesome!  Wonder who makes them.  

My Motorcraft batteries will go seven.  I think that's pretty good since we go from highs of 100 in summer months to lows below zero in winter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My 10 year old battery I just replaced.  Still looks almost new.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The longest I've ever had a battery last was the OEM Motorcraft battery in my 07 Mustang. It lasted about 5 years and I always kept a Battery Tender on there when the car wasn't driven. Normally without a tender, the Motorcraft batteries go kaput after 3 years.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Batteries mounted in the trunk tend to not face as harsh conditions as those mounted under the hood.  Still pretty damn cool, though!
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a yellow top Optima last 14 years.  It was mounted inside too.  Replacement was $175.

I hear BMW batteries are $650.  True?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it have the + terminal with the crash disconnector?

On the newer BMW's it has a small device that snaps the power to the + terminal upon severe accident. The dealer usually has to reset the computer to recognize the new battery.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
BMW OEM replacement was $250 + "labor" and tax.  I guess they calibrate it or something.

The + cable going to the + terminal is very beefy.

Here's a pic:

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
There was an article about BMW's databus system that prevents you from charging the battery on a BMW motorcycle the normal way. You had to attach the CAN Bus connectors on a special charger to charge the batteries.

GM started putting the battery in the trunk as well. The Cobalt has a trunk mounted battery, and I think the G8 has it as well. I'm not sure about other GM vehicles, but it certainly helps with weight distribution!!

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
You have to register the battery on all the newer cars starting about 04 and up witha few exceptions. Basically you go in with a scan tool and tell it it's new so it can charge correctly for that battery and you also have to tell it if you changed the side. For a 3 you would have been looking at about $300 guessing off the top of my head on a price. I know Excide did make there batteries for a long time and pretty sure they still do by any confirm since I moved to an independent and we use interstate for a lower price
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
FYI, BMW doesnt make batteries. got 10 years out of a motorcraft branded battery and 8 out of my nissan branded battery. could have gotten more out of the nissan battery if i didnt keep forgetting to turn off my amateur radio and killing the battery.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I just replaced the original battery in my 02 Ranger last Winter.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought BMW started making the cars that need battery registration in 2007.  But not 100% sure.  I do know that I replaced an '01 BMW X5 battery for about $140 several years ago.  I installed it myself so that price was just for the part,
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently replaced the OE battery on my 2004 Nissan 350Z with an Optima redtop. its the third time I;ve replaced the battery since I bought the car in 2007. Hopefully, the Optima will last me longer than the two OE ones I had before.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#14]
(Knock on wood).......I still have the original OEM battery in my 2004 Dodge Ram pickup....going on 9 years old.

(Knock on wood).....I still have the original OEM battery in my 2003 Mini Cooper S....going on 10 years old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My 08 X3 has a factory Exide battery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a 2003 BMW that, until yesterday, still was going strong with the factory battery in it.  

i have a '99 e46, and i pulled the OEM battery out in 2010.  

honestly, i replaced the battery because i was laying awake at night every winter wondering when my wife was going to call to tell me the car would not start, and how far i was going to have to drive to fetch her, and how much i'd be kicking myself for not doing something about it.  in summary –– the battery was fine, it was my nerves that resulted in the purchase of a replacement battery.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 2003 BMW that, until yesterday, still was going strong with the factory battery in it.  It died yesterday, after about 10 years of use.  That's gotta be a record for Arizona, considering the heat.  All the other cars I've had (Honda Accord, Toyota, etc), had batteries that lasted 3 years on average.  I'm sure that BMW's design with having the battery go in the trunk certainly helps contribute to the longevity since it's not exposed to the extra heat of the engine.

So, props to BMW for making a battery that lasts.  Wow.

For what it's worth, the battery I replaced it with was from Autozone.  Has an 8 year warranty and cost $150.  I thought about going to BMW and getting another OEM replacement from them, but cost was an unknown and it's unlikely that I'll keep the car more than 5-6 more years.

I replaced the one in my '03 330ci two weeks ago. Like yours it was the original. It was hell getting to it in the trunk. The tray above it just did NOT want to come out. New one is a Bosch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top