Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2012 9:36:22 AM EDT
Do any of you race guys get fuel delivered to your house?  Preferably looking for E85/E98.  Are there big companies out there that do this or do you have to contact local distributors?  Also what type of setup are you using?  Probably looking at having a 55gal drum (or 2) sitting in the garage with an easy setup to get the fuel out and into the car/containers.

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
why the hell would you want E85? i havent seen anything that is certified for E98. you may be hard pressed to find E85 in Pa.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 3:07:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would I want it?  It makes more power.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
More power, huh. Every article I have ever read on E-85 vs gas says the opposite.
E-85 is said to have a higher octane level but your fuel mileage and power level is less. Have I been reading the articles wrong? I hope so, E-85 is cheaper than gas.

Not looking for a forum fight just asking questions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
More power, huh. Every article I have ever read on E-85 vs gas says the opposite.
E-85 is said to have a higher octane level but your fuel mileage and power level is less. Have I been reading the articles wrong? I hope so, E-85 is cheaper than gas.

Your car has to be tuned for it,
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More fuel must be introduced into the engine when using ethanol, due to its oxygen content.

This equates to roughly equal power output, but less fuel mileage.

However, in the case of performance oriented vehicles, the higher anti-knock index of ethanol allows more aggressive ignition timing, greater static compression ratio, and/or greater boost pressures(if equipped with forced induction) , thus making more torque and power than would be possible on pump gasoline.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More fuel must be introduced into the engine when using ethanol, due to its oxygen content.

However, in the case of performance oriented vehicles, the higher anti-knock index of ethanol allows more aggressive ignition timing, greater static compression ratio, and/or greater boost pressures(if equipped with forced induction) , thus making more torque and power than would be possible on pump gasoline.

well said.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

no, it doesnt. gal to gal comparison E85 has less power than 100% petrol and less MPG's. and to back it up, E85 vs Petrol. less power and worse MPG.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

octane rating does NOT effect HP or TQ. this is a myth and has been proven time and time again. the only time you will see any advantage of one octane over another is if your car is retarding the timing do to knock. which means you need to be using a higher octane to reduce/get rid of the knock. the motor makes less than stated HP because of the retarding of the timing. the higher octane will get rid of the knock putting the engine back at the correct timing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, it doesnt. gal to gal comparison E85 has less power than 100% petrol and less MPG's. and to back it up, E85 vs Petrol. less power and worse MPG.

/facepalm

If you guys don't know how forced induction vehicles that are turned for E85 benefit in terms of power, I suggest you bow out.  You obviously don't know what you are talking about.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

octane rating does NOT effect HP or TQ. this is a myth and has been proven time and time again. the only time you will see any advantage of one octane over another is if your car is retarding the timing do to knock. which means you need to be using a higher octane to reduce/get rid of the knock. the motor makes less than stated HP because of the retarding of the timing. the higher octane will get rid of the knock putting the engine back at the correct timing.
Im not gonna say youre wrong but the koneigsegg ccxr makes more power on e85 than it does 93oct pump gas

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sample E85 vs Pump gas dyno.  if you want to try and rationalize the amount of E85 used to achieve said #s vs Pump Gas, you can go right ahead.  In the end, the dyno doesn't lie about power output.   Plus this thread was about getting it delivered not what this has turned into.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Or go methanol...run about 15.1 and a cam setup specifically for it and it will rip.  Assuming this isn't a street driver.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
EDIT:
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sample E85 vs Pump gas dyno.  if you want to try and rationalize the amount of E85 used to achieve said #s vs Pump Gas, you can go right ahead.  In the end, the dyno doesn't lie about power output.   Plus this thread was about getting it delivered not what this has turned into.  

http://norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/azian_socal_081509/Ben_S_E85retune_011610.jpg

do you have a 100% petrol vs tuned 100% petrol dyno to go along with that? that chart is E85 vs tuned E85, no petrol there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/azian_socal_081509/Ben_S_E85retune_011610.jpg

do you have a 100% petrol vs tuned 100% petrol dyno to go along with that? that chart is E85 vs tuned E85, no petrol there.

See below.   Is that sufficient?  Perhaps some people can get over their E85 phobia and realize it is better for power.  

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/576055-mellon-racing-andrew-s-evo-9-mr-fp-white-93-octane-e85-results.html

E85

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/571545-fp-hta-green-stock-block-93-octane-e85-tuned-tscompusa-vr-speed.html

E85

E85 vs 93 http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/589270-spec-ops-tuned-tylers-ix-mr-stock-motor-cams-turbo-93-e85-tune-comparo.html

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/579546-mellon-racing-martys-evo-8-stock-turbo-93oct-e85-results.html

E85

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-dyno-tuning-results/516293-stwhy-s-93oct-e85-comparison.html

93 vs E85

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's great for high compression and forced induction engines to the high anti-knock rating of E85. What you're talking about is energy density, E85 is only 66% of that of regular gasoline, so you burn more fuel doing the same work. The stoichiometric AFR of E85 is also much richer than regular gasoline.

Bottom line: for regular driving, E85 makes no sense. For racing, E85 is actually taxpayer-subsidized 105+ octane racing fuel.

You will want to be careful with constantly running E85 as it tends to wash down the cylinder walls and allow for more engine wear.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I think any individual user is going to have a hard time finding a distributor to deliver at a home location. From what I have been reading on the E85 forums even most gas stations are having problems finding a distributor for the product at a reasonable price. From what I read the distributors want to lock them in multi-year delivery contracts and the few stations find it hard to pay for the blender pump infrastructure changes to there parking lot / fuel islands.  Please don't miss understand me, I am a advocate of E85 use. I would use it all the time when I lived in Ohio (I do have a FFV). It was about a dollar a gallon cheaper in some locations. Primarily due to the location of the corn and refinery (distillery). With that being said in pure street use its less economical if they were the same price. I do not remember the exact numbers of the figures but for every gallon of ethanol free gas it would take something like 1.4 gallons of E85 to go the same distance. Hence the argument of energy content (BTU per gallon). Now moving into New Jersey with little farm infrastructure and only one station selling E85 (Gulf station at Newark Liberty Airport) there is no price advantage. They sell E85 and 87 octane at the same price. So I would be loosing out big time. So the only way I could see your idea is to find a station that sells E85, get a boat load of 5 gallon tanks and fill them up, or get a E85 tank on a trailer or in the back of a pickup truck. Other than that I don't think you will have much luck finding a company to come fill up a tank at your home. But call around to find out. Also remember that E85 does not always equal 85% ethanol. The law is up to 85% with most stations selling E70 or lower in the winter and then up to E85 in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, you are wrong.

E85 gets lower mileage, and better power.

Look on Ford's website some of thier vehicles have the E85 HP ratings, it will be 5% higher.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

E85 makes less power per gallon, than gasoline.

But, E85 uses is a 1:7 ratio, gas is a 1:14 ratio (approx) fuel/air.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#20]
If you do a little bsing you the youtube you will see a bunch of street legal e85 supras running insane 1/4mile times. E85 with a turbo big enough to swallow the moon are pretty insane.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

E85 makes less power per gallon, than gasoline.

But, E85 uses is a 1:7 ratio, gas is a 1:14 ratio (approx) fuel/air.

That is why you use E85 with high compression or forced induction engines, it has higher resistance to detonation. Even with a naturally aspirated engine, you could run much more ignition or use higher compression heads. That is how you can grab more power with E85 over regular gasoline. The reduced energy density of E85 is not as big of a factor unless you want to only look at fuel efficiency.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think any individual user is going to have a hard time finding a distributor to deliver at a home location. From what I have been reading on the E85 forums even most gas stations are having problems finding a distributor for the product at a reasonable price. From what I read the distributors want to lock them in multi-year delivery contracts and the few stations find it hard to pay for the blender pump infrastructure changes to there parking lot / fuel islands.  Please don't miss understand me, I am a advocate of E85 use. I would use it all the time when I lived in Ohio (I do have a FFV). It was about a dollar a gallon cheaper in some locations. Primarily due to the location of the corn and refinery (distillery). With that being said in pure street use its less economical if they were the same price. I do not remember the exact numbers of the figures but for every gallon of ethanol free gas it would take something like 1.4 gallons of E85 to go the same distance. Hence the argument of energy content (BTU per gallon). Now moving into New Jersey with little farm infrastructure and only one station selling E85 (Gulf station at Newark Liberty Airport) there is no price advantage. They sell E85 and 87 octane at the same price. So I would be loosing out big time. So the only way I could see your idea is to find a station that sells E85, get a boat load of 5 gallon tanks and fill them up, or get a E85 tank on a trailer or in the back of a pickup truck. Other than that I don't think you will have much luck finding a company to come fill up a tank at your home. But call around to find out. Also remember that E85 does not always equal 85% ethanol. The law is up to 85% with most stations selling E70 or lower in the winter and then up to E85 in the summer.

Yeah that is what I'm finding.  I figured that companies like VP will deliver race gas to your house I was hoping there were similar companies that would deliver E85.  I have a station about 30 miles away but since I don't have a truck I can only haul about 20gals at a time back to my house.  Just not efficient.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah that is what I'm finding.  I figured that companies like VP will deliver race gas to your house I was hoping there were similar companies that would deliver E85.  I have a station about 30 miles away but since I don't have a truck I can only haul about 20gals at a time back to my house.  Just not efficient.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

If VP does, that will be the first Ive heard of it. Sunoco definitely will not. Transporting it is also a can of worms if youre talking about barrels, because of the HAZMAT regulations.

Also keep in mind, E85 is much more hygroscopic than even E10 or pure gas, and if youre storing it at home, that WILL cause problems for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top