Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2012 3:49:17 PM EDT
There was a thread in GD about an IRS agent who pulled someone over for running red diesel and someone mentioned that veggie diesels are getting popped now too. Of course GD was GD and nothing productive or trustworthy was in there. My friend converted his truck to run on used cooking grease, and I was thinking about doing it too. However it would be worthless if I get pinched for it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago I posted about a guy driving a mercedes with some kind of bumper sticker saying he was running clean veggy oil or something. It was in North Carolina, he got pulled over. He was running store bought veggy oil from costco, he got charged with state and federal tax evasion. It's like a $10,000 fine, possible imprisonment and they get to open up all of your tax records to see if you cheat on anything else.

If you run anything other than what they sell you at the gas station, be warned, it is only a matter of time before you get popped!
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Drivers needing Op-Sec for running Grease-iel???

What IS our country coming too?

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I recall a story I saw either here or a news site about an older guy from I think MI that got pinced by the state reveneuers for running bio and was fined ridiculously and threatened with jail time. IIRC he was in his 80s.

-JC
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You can legally run it if you pay the necessary taxes. I wonder who they know exactly HOW much you run though....

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can legally run it if you pay the necessary taxes. I wonder who they know exactly HOW much you run though....  

this is the answer.. You must pay the state federal taxes..  And likely be registered with the state as a producer of fuel

B

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
This stuff is getting ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This stuff Government is getting ridiculous

ftfy
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the answer.. You must pay the state federal taxes..  And likely be registered with the state as a producer of fuel

B

Yes, but in most states they aren't even equipped to tax back yard producers, so you CAN'T pay the tax.

ETA: At my local discount store they put big signs in the additive isle stating that some additives are not "approved motor vehicle fuels" per the federal government, then lists wich ones that they sell are and are not. So not only is your WVO not taxed, it is also not approved by EPA, regardless of wether or not it is cleaner burning, it is not approved.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
New to me, that is crazy.  How does one go about paying the taxes?

The local station here sells bio-diesel.  I assume the taxes are paid on that right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The local station here sells bio-diesel.  I assume the taxes are paid on that right?

BIO-diesel from a gas station, yes. The shit you pump out of restaruant fryers, NO.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIO-diesel from a gas station, yes. The shit you pump out of restaruant fryers, NO.

Just curious.  My 6.0 power stroke barely runs on #2 diesel, I don't have the balls to try anything home made!
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This stuff Government is getting ridiculous

ftfy

I bet there are plenty of people that think it should be illegal. Even a few on this website if we were betting
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#13]
IF you produce bio-diesel in VA you would have to register with the DMV (who handles the tax collection for motoro fuels) - Then you would file a monthly report with how many gallons of fuel you produced and pay the appropriate taxes..

Im not sure how you pay the Federal tax - but Im sure the IRS has a form you allows you to pay them..

A few comments here talked of how the government is getting ridiculous (sp) in making ppl pay tax on fuel they produce  - Everyone that buys highway fuel (gas or diesel) at the pump pays the fed/state taxes.. These are the taxes that go toward road maintenance/repair/building/etc

So how is making someone that is using untaxed fuel on the highways pay the appropriate taxes NOT the same as walking out of walmart with a pressure washer? Isnt it stealing in both ways?   Arfcom is all over ppl for getting 'free' stuff.. BUT it  seems OK to steal from the government..

I could see if the taxes werent going to a specific cause (ie the tax stamp needed for a class 3 gun) not wanting to pay them..

b
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This stuff is getting ridiculous

No shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A few comments here talked of how the government is getting ridiculous (sp) in making ppl pay tax on fuel they produce  - Everyone that buys highway fuel (gas or diesel) at the pump pays the fed/state taxes.. These are the taxes that go toward road maintenance/repair/building/etc

So how is making someone that is using untaxed fuel on the highways pay the appropriate taxes NOT the same as walking out of walmart with a pressure washer? Isnt it stealing in both ways?   Arfcom is all over ppl for getting 'free' stuff.. BUT it  seems OK to steal from the government..

I could see if the taxes werent going to a specific cause (ie the tax stamp needed for a class 3 gun) not wanting to pay them..

b

Not paying a tax and stealing a physical item are not the same thing. The reason I feel differently about it is that our law no longer has any kind of common sense basis. We make laws for no other reason than to make laws and get revenue. I should be able to gather trash(WVO) and turn it into fuel. All the big politicians say they care about a green future but only as long as they can tax it. Even oil out of the store has all kind of tax already paid on it.

As for the class 3 comparison I dont see where you are going with that one. As far as I can tell pretty much all taxes are getting wasted therefore I dont agree with the cause for any of them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

Not paying a tax and stealing a physical item are not the same thing. The reason I feel differently about it is that our law no longer has any kind of common sense basis. We make laws for no other reason than to make laws and get revenue. I should be able to gather trash(WVO) and turn it into fuel. All the big politicians say they care about a green future but only as long as they can tax it. Even oil out of the store has all kind of tax already paid on it.

As for the class 3 comparison I dont see where you are going with that one. As far as I can tell pretty much all taxes are getting wasted therefore I dont agree with the cause for any of them.

It is definitely not the same thing. The person burning an alternate fuel isn't even getting free use of the roads, since they still have to pay their registration and other DMV fees, their auto insurance (which is taxed), road tolls, tickets, and taxes on auto parts and services.

If a person stores gasoline that they bought at $2 a gallon, and then uses it when gas is selling for over $4 a gallon, would you say that they are stealing as well, since they paid less taxes on their less expensive gas?

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

It is definitely not the same thing. The person burning an alternate fuel isn't even getting free use of the roads, since they still have to pay their registration and other DMV fees, their auto insurance (which is taxed), road tolls, tickets, and taxes on auto parts and services.

If a person stores gasoline that they bought at $2 a gallon, and then uses it when gas is selling for over $4 a gallon, would you say that they are stealing as well, since they paid less taxes on their less expensive gas?

In Forida, the tax on $2 gas is the same as $4 gas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

Where i was going the class 3 'tax stamp' is that all you get for your $200 tax is a stamp (and the right to own that weapon) - with highway taxes they have a purpose, for repair and upkeep of the roads. What purpose does the $200 tax stamp do?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder what they would do if I converted a vehicle to run on wood gas using the federal governments instructions?  I've been seriously considering doing this just to see if I could, but the more gas prices go up the more I think it might be practical.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wish I could say the same about my state
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#21]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

I reckon the pressure washer analogy wasnt the right one..  But arfcom is VERY hard on anyone that gets something (pressure washer, wrong change given by the cashier, accidentally mismarked items) for nothing or less then fair/reasonable value..  Wouldnt someone not paying their fair share of the highway taxes be the same? They are driving on the same roads you and i are paying to keep up with every gas/diesel purchase, but arent paying their fair amount.

I agree some 'taxes' make no sense and are arbituary, but the highway/fuel use tax is collected for a specific item, maintain the highways..    The other vehicle related taxes (license plates, etc mentioned by another poster) are more likely the ones that dont fund a specific purpose..

b
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could say the same about my state

I didnt realize NY added on the regional/ local % taxes...    VA has a few areas that add on a % tax (NOVA and VA Beach IIRC)

Brian
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where i was going the class 3 'tax stamp' is that all you get for your $200 tax is a stamp (and the right to own that weapon) - with highway taxes they have a purpose, for repair and upkeep of the roads. What purpose does the $200 tax stamp do?

Well you get the gun. Even though they call it a tax it is more like a permit. Either is wrong in my opinion. The sad thing is if we had better management the roads would all be brand new with money left over
Quoted:

I reckon the pressure washer analogy wasnt the right one..  But arfcom is VERY hard on anyone that gets something (pressure washer, wrong change given by the cashier, accidentally mismarked items) for nothing or less then fair/reasonable value..  Wouldnt someone not paying their fair share of the highway taxes be the same? They are driving on the same roads you and i are paying to keep up with every gas/diesel purchase, but arent paying their fair amount.

I agree some 'taxes' make no sense and are arbituary, but the highway/fuel use tax is collected for a specific item, maintain the highways..    The other vehicle related taxes (license plates, etc mentioned by another poster) are more likely the ones that dont fund a specific purpose..

b

What Arfcom doesnt like is thieves which is what you are if you walk out of a store without paying for a item.

See above about the taxes. What is silly is that we pay more for the taxes in a gallon of fuel than we do for fuel(at least at some locations). That is not ok. We keep adding more agencies and making new rules and imposing new tariffs. It is a big out of control machine and we are to blame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Electric cars anyone?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you get the gun. Even though they call it a tax it is more like a permit. Either is wrong in my opinion. The sad thing is if we had better management the roads would all be brand new with money left over
Quoted:

b

What Arfcom doesnt like is thieves which is what you are if you walk out of a store without paying for a item.

See above about the taxes. What is silly is that we pay more for the taxes in a gallon of fuel than we do for fuel(at least at some locations). That is not ok. We keep adding more agencies and making new rules and imposing new tariffs. It is a big out of control machine and we are to blame.

No, what ARFCOM doesn't like is people talking about breaking the law on their web site. It is against the COC. Talk about removing your pollution control devices (catalytic converter and what not) or tax evasion and the thread gos by by.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Electric cars anyone?  

Yeah, they are quickly figuring out how to tax that also. GPS. My state wants EVERYBODY to get government issue GPSs and pay mileage tax mostly because of the increase in electric cars that aren't paying their share.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Talk about removing your pollution control devices (catalytic converter and what not) or tax evasion and the thread gos by by.

Goes by what?

All of the illegal threads I've seen the past few years are locked or deleted.z

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, what ARFCOM doesn't like is people talking about breaking the law on their web site. It is against the COC. Talk about removing your pollution control devices (catalytic converter and what not) or tax evasion and the thread gos by by.

I wasnt talking about Arfcom the website I was talking about the users ie us.

Once again stealing a item from a store is different than taxation or emissions. Every individual has to decide what is just and whether or not they are willing to pay the price
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric cars anyone?  

Yeah, they are quickly figuring out how to tax that also. GPS. My state wants EVERYBODY to get government issue GPSs and pay mileage tax mostly because of the increase in electric cars that aren't paying their share.

That's Crazy, what state is that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric cars anyone?  

That's Crazy, what state is that?

Oregon. Oregon is a suck ass liberal blue state that is just begging to be like california.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

IF you produce bio-diesel in VA you would have to register with the DMV (who handles the tax collection for motoro fuels) - Then you would file a monthly report with how many gallons of fuel you produced and pay the appropriate taxes..

Im not sure how you pay the Federal tax - but Im sure the IRS has a form you allows you to pay them..

b
Do people who drive electric cars pay road taxes?

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

b

Only through registration. Electricity is kind of a phantom fuel, where as diesel can simply be dipped and seen that it is un-taxxed fuel. Yes, some states are trying to figure out ways to tax electric cars.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

b

Only through registration. Electricity is kind of a phantom fuel, where as diesel can simply be dipped and seen that it is un-taxxed fuel. Yes, some states are trying to figure out ways to tax electric cars.

Roads are built and maintained with fuel taxes.  If everyone didn't pay fuel taxes, how would the roads be maintained and built?  

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Electric cars anyone?  

Better not own any solar pannels or windmills, that might be criminal intent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
God forbid you do something good for the environment. Hell, they should pay YOU for using Bio-diesel, less dependence on foreign oil and less harmful  to the environment in the name of the EPA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

b

Roads are built and maintained with fuel taxes.  If everyone didn't pay fuel taxes, how would the roads be maintained and built?  

A number of states are starting to impose an electric vehicle tax
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

b

Lets go after the home brewers next.  Then we can go after the gardeners and farmers who grow their own food.
The government is tired of them stealing its money.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

Lets go after the home brewers next.  Then we can go after the gardeners and farmers who grow their own food.
The government is tired of them stealing its money.

TXL

They attacked the home brewers(distillers) years ago. Want to make your own hooch? Bam you're a felon.

Its ok though, nobody really needs liquor
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Plaster a non-diesel vehicle with "Veggie Oil Diesel" stickers

Parade it as much as possible around the IRS.

When they hassle you, tell them to go pound sound.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

b

The government is never gets tired of them stealing its our money. fixed it for you

TXL

These (in bold) are already happening.
All the taxes go to the federal reserve.
Who is the federal reserve? Read up on it.
All new dollars spent are borrowed with interest from.... the federal reserve, not acquired from taxes (that is a little accounting lie from our loving leaders)
So the appetite for your money goes on ever expanding.

Until we get some politicians who are willing to abolish the reserve system and have the US government print its own money, expect the "authorities" to go after crazier things than vaggie oil

"authorities" shut down lemonade stand in GA.

"authorities" shut down lemonade stand in IA.

"authorities" shut down lemonade stand in WI.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

b

Unfortunately that is not true for diesel as well in FL, and since we're talking wvo or bio diesel, the tax would change.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top