View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mochaTX:
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:
Bitcoin is a good buy right now. On sale

Lol no.

It’s not.

With each Fed rate hike it just drops.

The US gov is the biggest owner of bitcoin. It won’t and can’t fail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

Yes, through criminal asset seizures. They didn't buy it and most certainly don't promote it. 2 billion is a fart in the wind margin of error fly speck on the US gov. multi trillion budget graph.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Lol, the US gov doesn’t invest in bitcoin because it is in competition with their own funding mechanisms.

Bitcoin is a dream, wrapped up in speculation, and feeds on greed/FOMO. It provides some tangible value, but in the other hand it is incredibly inefficient and the network to exchange to be used daily by the world public isn’t there.

I applaud those who made money off it, but when compared to companies that actually produce/provide value to people, bitcoin is extremely far down on the list.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone plan on buying anything the next few weeks? Or do we keep waiting?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#5]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:
Anyone plan on buying anything the next few weeks? Or do we keep waiting?
View Quote

I am on hold sitting currently on 24% cash. Still buying stocks with the dividends paid, but no new stock purchases for a while, and will wait a bit more, probably months, to start nibbling on some beat-down stocks.

I have bought some CD's at 4.05% for a year.

I am watching PE ratios and like to buy below 16 if possible. With earnings perhaps getting ready to drop for most businesses the PE ratios won't be where I want for a while.

I think those who choose wisely in the near future will position themselves for big gains sometime late next year.

As always, this is just my way of thinking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:07:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#7]
I am going to go crazy this morning and go way, way, way out on a limb.

Here is my prediction for a bottom of the markets;

Dow 25,000
S&P   3,000
NAS   9,500

Anyone else have an idea?

Unknown: the timing that the markets hit the bottom. Maybe early 2023.

You can beat me up later for stupidity!
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#9]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:
S&P   3,000
Unknown: the timing that the markets hit the bottom. Maybe early 2023.

You can beat me up later for stupidity!
View Quote

Peak pre-covid: 3,225 around Jan 1, 2020
Hard trough during covid: 2,584 around March 1, 2020
Back above 3,271 in July 2020
Zoom out 2-3 years before and it was floating 2,700 - 3,000 for quite a while.

What's your thinking, logic or other for 3,000?

Edit: I'm a big S&P guy and that's basically the only place we put money except a few individuals. We are piling up money and I am looking for low points to scoop up.
Worked very well in Feb.- March of 2020.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#10]
Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:

Edit: I'm a big S&P guy and that's basically the only place we put money except a few individuals. We are piling up money and I am looking for low points to scoop up.
View Quote

There are so many moving parts now. I see falling employment brought on by a downward drift in corp. profits. That should be sufficient to raise (corrected) PE's possibly resulting in less demand for holding stocks and lower prices.

Then there are many what if's. Stability of Credit Suisse, bond yields that could rise negatively impacting pension funds, tensions with Russia or China that could escalate, unstable housing market, and inverted yield curve. I'm sure I have missed some. It is my opinion that most or all of these will be resolved, but I think these pose a risk.

Added: I forgot to mention we have idiots running our government.

I am traditionally a positive thinker, but so many bad possibilities should not be taken lightly, and will likely depress the stock market for a while, IMHO.

There will be a point the financial markets will stabilize and will be a good time to buy again.

I would appreciate any comments.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#12]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I ended up buying a little MMM today when it hit it's 52 week low. Not enough to break the bank (if it keeps dropping).

Started moving back into oil a bit also. I was hoping it would get into the low 70's to buy, but I think that ship has sailed with the OPEC cut and SPR draws ending soon.
View Quote

I bought 800+ shares of MRO on 8/12/22 and it is up 17.76% since the purchase.  A very nice gain, but not enough to offset the losses on other stocks.

Still on hold right now, but watching with interest.

Also sitting on a bit of NRG with a small gain.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:29:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Been riding the thermal coal wave for a while.  I suspect many of the companies have their best days ahead of them as contracts expire and new contracts are signed for significantly higher rates per ton.  I'm not looking at buying most things right now, I'd like to add more ARLP, BTU, HNRG, and ARCH but I'm just maxed on those allocations right now and dont see many other areas outside energy I'm willing to buy into right now to offset.

I'm just letting the income streams build a nest egg while I watch for next moves.

One question I have for guys more experienced in bond ETFs is if as fed rate hikes impact the funds, consider buying in at lower value because eventually the bonds will be either sold or paid out and fresh bonds at higher rates will be added to the fund?  My thought is I might rather have a bit less return short term if I buy at a discount now/soon if I can lock in better long term returns as the rate hikes take hold in the long term, and maybe have the option to cash out when the bond market firms up reflecting the higher rates.  I'm not a bond guy, but I'm trying to learn how they edd and flow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have not bought it yet but have been watching and seriously considering getting some INTEL stock, especial if it gets down into the teens
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Loading up on TLRY
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive been adding to my VLD position every few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:
Ive been adding to my VLD position every few weeks.
View Quote
3D printing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
I have not bought it yet but have been watching and seriously considering getting some INTEL stock, especial if it gets down into the teens
View Quote

Seems like a no brainer to buy now while it's low especially since the gov just handed them 15b and Ohio another 2b to build a 20b chip plant in Ohio. The subsidies from the fed and state won't end there. If you are patient for few years I think you will be happy with the results.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
3D printing?
View Quote

Yes, but using metal instead of plastic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

Seems like a no brainer to buy now while it's low especially since the gov just handed them 15b and Ohio another 2b to build a 20b chip plant in Ohio. The subsidies from the fed and state won't end there. If you are patient for few years I think you will be happy with the results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:

Great dividend as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Lol no.

It’s not.

View All Quotes
Bitcoin is a good buy right now. On sale

Lol no.

It’s not.

That's exactly what makes it a good play for when the Fed pivots.

It's going to happen at some point in the next year or two and you can combine that with the next halving event coming up in 2024.

But your point is valid.  Bitcoin will not do well as long as Fed continues to aggressively bump rates.  I do however think it'll start to take back off the very moment the Fed shows any weakness and I think that will be signaled in advance just like the rate hikes were signaled well in advance.

Bitcoin peaked on November 8th, 2021.  Look what else happened in November 2021:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/24/federal-reserve-releases-minutes-from-its-november-meeting.html

The challenge is going to be getting out in front of the trade.  I caught lightning in a bottle on January 14th, 2015 when I bought a double digit quantity of BTC at $181 per each.  It was the date of the absolute bottom coming out of the 2013 bubble.  Sentiment was absolutely awful that day.  The bottom is always characterized by peak fear and negativity NOT by a moment of a positive shift in confidence like some people think.  

Whenever the bottom is, both for Bitcoin and Stocks, there will almost certainly be doom and gloom threads in GD where people contemplate how stupid one would have to be to buy at that moment.  Here's that thread for Bitcoin from January 14th, 2015:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Bitcoin-Crashing-Under-185/5-1707277/

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

That's exactly what makes it a good play for when the Fed pivots.

It's going to happen at some point in the next year or two and you can combine that with the next halving event coming up in 2024.

But your point is valid.  Bitcoin will not do well as long as Fed continues to aggressively bump rates.  I do however think it'll start to take back off the very moment the Fed shows any weakness and I think that will be signaled in advance just like the rate hikes were signaled well in advance.

Bitcoin peaked on November 8th, 2021.  Look what else happened in November 2021:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/24/federal-reserve-releases-minutes-from-its-november-meeting.html

The challenge is going to be getting out in front of the trade.  I caught lightning in a bottle on January 14th, 2015 when I bought a double digit quantity of BTC at $181 per each.  It was the date of the absolute bottom coming out of the 2013 bubble.  Sentiment was absolutely awful that day.  The bottom is always characterized by peak fear and negativity NOT by a moment of a positive shift in confidence like some people think.  

Whenever the bottom is, both for Bitcoin and Stocks, there will almost certainly be doom and gloom threads in GD where people contemplate how stupid one would have to be to buy at that moment.  Here's that thread for Bitcoin from January 14th, 2015:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Bitcoin-Crashing-Under-185/5-1707277/

View Quote

Everyone is going to try to time that pivot. The swings are going to be insane. 4 investments I want to DCA into when I believe we are getting close. Long term CDs or treasuries. Long term underrated (in my mind) corporate bonds from companies unlikely to default. Tech stocks. BTC.

The end of the year is predicted to be a low liquidity freefall as everything in the dumps gets sold off for tax harvesting and rebalance so it will be very tempting to start dipping my toes in then and continue through next spring.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By xd675:
Been riding the thermal coal wave for a while.  I suspect many of the companies have their best days ahead of them as contracts expire and new contracts are signed for significantly higher rates per ton.  I'm not looking at buying most things right now, I'd like to add more ARLP, BTU, HNRG, and ARCH but I'm just maxed on those allocations right now and dont see many other areas outside energy I'm willing to buy into right now to offset.

I'm just letting the income streams build a nest egg while I watch for next moves.

One question I have for guys more experienced in bond ETFs is if as fed rate hikes impact the funds, consider buying in at lower value because eventually the bonds will be either sold or paid out and fresh bonds at higher rates will be added to the fund?  My thought is I might rather have a bit less return short term if I buy at a discount now/soon if I can lock in better long term returns as the rate hikes take hold in the long term, and maybe have the option to cash out when the bond market firms up reflecting the higher rates.  I'm not a bond guy, but I'm trying to learn how they edd and flow.
View Quote

I think this may be a good play for the next couple of years. Like it or not coal is going to have a place in the energy spectrum for a few more years (decades but what do I know?) and the producers have been beat down stock wise.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#26]

There are so many moving parts now. I see falling employment brought on by a downward drift in corp. profits. That should be sufficient to raise (corrected) PE's possibly resulting in less demand for holding stocks and lower prices.

Then there are many what if's. Stability of Credit Suisse, bond yields that could rise negatively impacting pension funds, tensions with Russia or China that could escalate, unstable housing market, and inverted yield curve. I'm sure I have missed some. It is my opinion that most or all of these will be resolved, but I think these pose a risk.

I am traditionally a positive thinker, but so many bad possibilities should not be taken lightly, and will likely depress the stock market for a while, IMHO.

There will be a point the financial markets will stabilize and will be a good time to buy again.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:

I think it will be a rough ride but I'm thinking things continue to slope downwards throughout 2023. I'm guessing no real sustained uptick until middle / late 2024 at best.

Doesn't mean there won't be rallys, but there will be sudden sell offs as well. The market is a bit too schizoid at the moment to just dive back in on the next dip. There are a lot of zombies that will be killed off in the next few years and maybe even a few "name" companies that were subsisting on cheap FED money to continue to operate.

Really nothing has changed for the better, pieces keep being moved around, traders talk their book but no real solid ideas. The long term results from the last 3 years of C19, Elections, DA economic policies and wars have yet to really be seen. I still think the whole 'recession' or 'depression' thing is just getting through the introductions and flyovers. The players have been introduced but the game hasn't started yet.

I'm hopeful but not optimistic at the moment. I'm hoarding cash and reviewing my "list" to see where stocks I may want to buy, (especially dividend stocks) are price wise.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#27]
So I have no idea what I’m doing really, but I’ve taken some spare cash this year and thrown it into Robinhood. I have my normal 401K maxed out and real estate/other investments, and decided to watch this thread and just kind of buy random stocks

I’ve been looking at the 52week low prices, and buying based off of the stock being close to the 52 week low. And also if Robinhood has a high percentage of buy rate vs hold or sell.
Is this is good plan to continue throwing $2-$4K a month at, at this time?
I do have a lot of cash that I’m keeping on hand (keeping in a Goldman account at 2.75%), in hopes of picking up another rental property hoping housing prices fall through the floor.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I was looking at throwing $4K towards Nike tomorrow, since the 52week low is $82, the 52 week high was $180, and it’s at $88 right now.
Thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#28]
BlackTaco,

I have been in the stock market for over 35 years. While I am not a great stock market investor, I have found that given enough time you will most likely make money in the market. Sorry, I can't tell you how long or when!

I continue to buy stocks from the dividends on the stocks I already own.

I am not currently buying more stocks, other then reinvestment of dividends, but I am putting money in CD's. I will buy some more CD's, probably, next month when the fed is expected to raise rates again.

I am waiting until most likely early next year to start buying additional stocks. Of course this could change depending on the economy and the fed.

Overall, stocks have been good investments for me long-term.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#29]
SQQQ
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks @Speedwinder
Maybe I’ll slow down a bit on throwing money at stocks, and wait until Q1 or Q2 next year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
SQQQ
View Quote

You're a braver man than I am. Even the slightest dovish talk from the Fed will send tech stocks to the moon and destroy the shorts (x3 ) and we do have midterms coming up (the Fed. Res. economists are overwhelmingly woke Democrat voters).
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

I was looking at throwing $4K towards Nike tomorrow, since the 52week low is $82, the 52 week high was $180, and it’s at $88 right now.
Thoughts on that?
View Quote

Don’t know too much about Nike other than they went woke and are catering to customers who are more likely to steal shoes than pay money for them. While working hard to piss off average dudes who would pay for them.
And eventually using child labor in China will catch up to them. If not exposure to China alone.
Also investing near the 52 week low does not mean it will go back to the highs. It can always go much lower and never return.
Just a gut feeling but I think Nike is dying. Back down to early 2000’s levels.
But who knows, good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

Don’t know too much about Nike other than they went woke and are catering to customers who are more likely to steal shoes than pay money for them. While working hard to piss off average dudes who would pay for them.
And eventually using child labor in China will catch up to them. If not exposure to China alone.
Also investing near the 52 week low does not mean it will go back to the highs. It can always go much lower and never return.
Just a gut feeling but I think Nike is dying. Back down to early 2000’s levels.
But who knows, good luck.
View Quote

I hate Nike, and I completely agree with you on how bad they suck.
Funny you mentioned child labor. I just went to a shipping/import luncheon with a speaker from US Customs - and they are really starting to crack down on forced labor.
I’ll hold off on Nike.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:07:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#34]
I don't know if this interests anyone here, but here is a list of stocks that I took gains on this year. These were sold in part, or entirely.

These will be the stocks I am most interested in repurchasing when I think the market is at or near the bottom.

MGK   27.26%
SPY     8.74%
FTEC 13.10%
V       33.16%
AMZN 26.52 %
LOW  138.99%

I am still down overall this year by approx. 17% currently, so not a good year for me in the market. The bright side, if you can call it that, is that last year I had an overall gain in excess of my losses so far this year.

I won't list the stocks I took losses in this year, out of respect for my ego.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:36:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrote] [#35]
Weed stocks really taking off!

Tlry
Gcg
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Scrote:
Weed stocks really taking off!

Tlry
Gcg
View Quote

Yeah, I picked up a little TLRY based on suggestions here
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I ended up picking up some ATAI today based off another suggestion here lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't know if this interests anyone here, but here is a list of stocks that I took gains on this year. These were sold in part, or entirely.

These will be the stocks I am most interested in repurchasing when I think the market is at or near the bottom.

MGK   27.26%
SPY     8.74%
FTEC 13.10%
V       33.16%
AMZN 26.52 %
LOW  138.99%

I am still down overall this year by approx. 17% currently, so not a good year for me in the market. The bright side, if you can call it that, is that last year I had an overall gain in excess of my losses so far this year.

I won't list the stocks I took losses in this year, out of respect for my ego.
View Quote

Yes, interested - thank you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Any interest or comments on Medical Properties Trust (MPW)?  They own over 400 hospitals, pay an 11% dividend and a PE of 5.34.  Was thinking it might be an OK investment with an aging population.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:14:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#40]
Originally Posted By Mike_48:
Any interest or comments on Medical Properties Trust (MPW)?  They own over 400 hospitals, pay an 11% dividend and a PE of 5.34.  Was thinking it might be an OK investment with an aging population.  
View Quote

I've owned them for 5-6 years, solid play. Iirc is a reit and I think I own it in a Roth, bit it may be better to hold in a trad investing account for max benefit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:11:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#41]
When I sold off part of my holdings to take profits and build more cash this year, I bought both MPW and OHI.

My thinking was that MPW pays a 11.35 dividend, and OHI pays a 8.64% dividend. As one of the boomers, I see what appears to be a growing need for medical care and this should be a growing industry for a number of years.

IMHO, MPW seems to be the stronger company.

Added: MPW shows 10 consecutive years of dividend increases (contender) per the Dividend Investing Resource pages https://www.dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp  I find this a valuable tool sometimes and prefer the champions section but contender is good. Note, both of these stocks are YTD losses for me so far.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mike_48:
View Quote

I've been reading about MPW - their portfolio looks solid.

GMRE doesn't look bad either.  Dividend of around 10%

I'm picking up some of both of these.  

Healthcare took a big hit with Covid - but I think it is safe bet going down the road.  Healthcare is something that most people see as a necessity - like food, or gasoline, and will continue to be consumers of such.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#43]
I bought a very small amount of MSFT this morning. I will probably continue to nibble on MSFT if it keeps dropping in price, very small purchases at a time in my broker account with no fees.

I have owned Microsoft for many years, both the stock and as part of the top holdings in several ETF's that I own.

Looking forward to next week to see what CD rates do. If they move up nicely I will put some more money into CD's with insured banks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone thinking about buying META at these levels?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#45]
When ad spending comes back, I keep hearing that GOOG will capture 85% of it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
View Quote

Hell no.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Does anyone not think it's going to end up like MySpace, which ended up like AOL, and so on? Social media empires have a short life.
Young people aren't using it. Metaverse is retarded. Woke. Issues spying on people. Their ads for small businesses get zero reach anymore and no one uses it.

So, that's a no from me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I bought it yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

Does anyone not think it's going to end up like MySpace, which ended up like AOL, and so on? Social media empires have a short life.
Young people aren't using it. Metaverse is retarded. Woke. Issues spying on people. Their ads for small businesses get zero reach anymore and no one uses it.

So, that's a no from me.
View Quote

I agree. Just a few people called me and they are like it’s a steal at these prices.  After seeing Amazon crater as hard as it is after hours I’m thinking the people in the know, know more then me.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top