Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:12:18 AM EDT
I bought Apple stock (5 shares) back at $130/share. Today it is running at $158/share (up almost $8.00/share). Thoughts on selling now, wait til it drops again and pick it back up or hold in hopes that it will climb higher later in the year?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
5 shares?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5 shares?
View Quote
Yep, all I could afford.
Yes I know, not going to get rich by any means.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am no expert.
Disclosure before I type, I have apple stock in my investments.

Question
Why do you want to sell it......
Do you want to sell because you think the stock is going to go down?
DO you want to sell it because you are to take the money out of the market?
Do you think you can buy something else, and make more of a profit faster?
How active do your trade?

They reported there Q3 numbers, they were good is why it went up.
I am personally betting / think if Q3 was good so will be Q4.
So yes, I think the stock will go up.
I also think there will be some ups & downs along the way, but overall the company will grow, the stock price will climb, and they will keep paying there dividend.
Weather to  sell or not has a lot to do with how do you invest and how you use / view the market.
But if you want a nice safe place to leave $650 - $790, leave it with apple and keep reinvesting those dividends.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You aren't talking about a meaningful enough amount of money, to make any difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely not. You should have bought the stock because you thought Apple is a good company at a good price and its price will go up.

You want to sell for $140 profit? Yes, it will lock that it. Do you need the $140 Do you have a better use for it? When you sell you'll pay at least $7 in fees, 5% of your profit  If you are just going to buy some other stock, you're saying, "I'm so smart I can predic future stock movements better than the market EVEN if I pay a 5% penalty to do it, yet I have to ask for advice from the well known and proven finance experts on AR15.COM.

Next, come next April 15, that $133 profit will turn into maybe about a $105 profit after you pay the government for the privilege of making a good investment (unless you are investing in the stock market while on government assistance).

Time is your friend in investments. Don't make it your enemy. Apple is not going broke.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Put it away and forget about .....thank me in 25 years
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
At this point, if Apple collapses, you have a lot more to worry about than your five shares. Apple products are so embedded into society, it's freaky.

But then again, everyone had a Motorola StarTac in the mid to late 90s, and look where they are now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put it away and forget about .....thank me in 25 years
View Quote
With an index fund or managed fund sure, but that's not a great strategy with individual stocks.

It would be quite remarkable if Apple was even half the company it is today in 25 years once you realize how precarious their current position is:

The largest and most profitable company in the history of this planet with the majority of their revenue residing in a SINGLE tech hardware product.

Everybody is so fucked up on the Apple Kool Aid that nobody is talking about the ramifications of this crazy set of circumstances.  I'm not saying they aren't a great company and they won't be profitable on some level for a long time but dang, you've gotta take a serious look at what that $800 Billion market cap is based on.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Good job for investing...but with 5 shares...not many strategies you can employ.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to jump in and out for fun look at cbl. 11% yield, lots of hate and fluctuates around 60 cents a day. I have jumped in and out and made around $600 plus $112 in dividends so far.  I will keep it up until 1000 shares then move on to something else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
5 shares?
View Quote
Get off his ass. You don't know his situation. Op, to answer your question, you should absolutely keep the stock. Reinvest the dividends, and forget about it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get off his ass. You don't know his situation. Op, to answer your question, you should absolutely keep the stock. Reinvest the dividends, and forget about it.
View Quote
Thanks Mambac. Truth, when I bought the shares, my family was in a single source income with 2 kids. I have just decided to sit on the shares and somewhat forget about them. Hoping to be able to buy some more shares soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want to jump in and out for fun look at cbl. 11% yield, lots of hate and fluctuates around 60 cents a day. I have jumped in and out and made around $600 plus $112 in dividends so far.  I will keep it up until 1000 shares then move on to something else.
View Quote
Don't do this OP.  Not to jump on rvbrewer625, but you should never take recommendations like this where someone throws out a ticker symbol without explaining the merits of the underlying company.  Based on this post, we know nothing about what the company actually does to turn a profit and that's really the most important thing to know when evaluating a stock.  

It goes back to the whole of idea of "not investing in things you don't understand".  Buying, selling, or holding Apple stock should be based on your own understanding of how they make money, and whether the evidence you gather leads you to believe that their future prospects exceed the current price of the stock.

In the absence of that knowledge, you will have better luck in some type of fund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top