Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 3:58:38 PM EDT
Been at my job for 17 years, and im 35 y/o now,  I have approx 45k in my deferred comp account (didnt start putting $ into it for the first 5-6 years, now im about 8% im putting in).  Thanks the the financial crash in '08, my work went from matching my  contribution, to(starting in 2012) matching only 1% of how much i put in at the end of the fiscal year.  Retirement at my work is about 25-26 years, so i have just shy of 10 years left.   Should I pull the $ out and put it in a IRA account?  if so any recommendations?  Ill be about 44-45 when i retire from my now job, and i know ill be getting another job and working for another 15-20 years so this isnt the end all for my retirement/IRA funding.

*side note, I am doing the Dave Ramsey thing, finishing step 2 and with the sell of my motorcycle, ill be done with step 2 (pay off all debt minus house) and almost done with step 3 (3-6 months saved up for expenses).  Step 4 (15% retirement) is where im mentally at right now, but my conflict with myself is stopping putting $ into my retirement until im done with step 3.  I know, worse case, it will take me 10 months to be done with step 2 and step 3, so "losing" the 8% im putting in isnt THAT drastic, and putting the 15% later will be better, but it freaks me out alittle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 457b as well.  I have no plans to roll it over.  I can't touch an IRA until 59 1/2.  The 457 is available to me at retirement regardless of my age.  If I retire at 47, there is 12 years that that money can be drawn on as needed with only having to pay taxes at my tax rate.

I actually plan to use it to cover annual insurance and taxes.  I will be able to live on my retirement with no problem.  Add that to other savings and I should be good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
457 is available at separation from the job, so it is a much better alternative to other tax advantaged acciunts that i know of. Its going to be perfit if you plan to retire early.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top