Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
A little background first.

I have a 401k through a PRN employer (think limited hours/income ~ $5000 last year). My full time career is in the FRS (Florida Retirement System) and is classified as special/high risk. I am enrolled in the defined benefit side of that. In addition, when I started employment 5 years ago I opted into two different 457 deferred compensation accounts sponsored by my employer. I started contributing $25 a check to each and have increased them each to a point I am at $75 per account each check. The accounts are through Mass Mutual (~$4700) and Nationwide (~$5600). Nationwide appears to be averaging around 6-7% since I opened it. Having trouble navigating the Mass Mutual page to see how it's doing.

so onto my question... I feel as though I have too many baskets to put eggs into. I was considering cancelling one of the deferred comp. accounts and transferring the balance to the other and increasing the contribution to match what I am putting in the two accounts. 1. Is this a good idea? and 2. Which company should I stick with and which should I drop? someone I spoke with eluded to viewing Nationwide as a jack of all trade type companies vs Mass Mutual that is more geared towards investments.

I would really appreciate the input from some of the minds here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Put you money into any fund that has matching up to the max for the matching funds....

Then go do a Roth IRA to the max...

Then go back and put your funds into any deferred plans as you are doing now.

Of course and always....YMMV

Red
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have specific investments that you can only get if you have both providers, I see no harm in combining your 457 accounts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have a pension + 457 retirement setup.

There is no reason to have multiple 457 accounts.  If allowed you should consolidate them.  Their performance has more to do with which funds you are invested in than the company hosting the plan.  To decide which 457 plan you should use we need to know what the fund choices are along with the relevant expense for each fund.

You should note that 457 plans are notorious for having relatively high expense ratios (ER).  With that being known and also knowing that there is no "company match" in a 457 plan, I would suggest your first retirement savings outside of your pension be in an IRA.  

Most people benefit more from a Roth IRA, but your personal situation would dictate if you chose Roth or Traditional.  You can choose where to host your IRA, I would suggest either Vangaurd or Fidelity.  They both have some exceptionally cheap investment choices.  After you hit your limit on IRA contributions ($5,500 for 2017) Put any additional money you want to put away in to your 457 plan.  Also note that you have until your Federal Tax filing date this year to make contributions to an IRA for 2016 (also $5,500 limit, this is subject to change each year), so if you have the cash you can still make this contribution.

I would also suggest joining up and reading on the Boglehead forum https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php and their wiki page.  It's the ARFCOM of investing.   There is plenty of very smart people there willing to share their wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with whichever advisor/co. you like the most. Investment selection has very little to do with your returns and success over the long term but asset allocation and time in the market play a huge roll. Either of those companies should have an advisor you can talk to to help with a plan so you aren't doing it all yourself. You may want to ask how they are handling the Department of Labor changes that go into effect on 4/10 of this year to see if that will change anything they're doing/offering to you.

ETA:I said this in another thread, but you don't get much from diversification of companies, except higher fees. Diversifying your investments is a different story. Keep your eggs out of the same basket, but your chickens on the same farm.

'Investing is like manure, it stinks if you leave it all in the same place...'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top