Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 11:36:22 PM EDT
I'll have my house paid off soon and other than utilities, insurance and taxes won't have much bills.
Is a credit card, paid off monthly, sufficient to maintain an excelent credit score?
What are some ways to maintain my good credit rating?
I currently have No loans or car payments other than the house.
I may want to buy a newer vehicle in a few years so I may or may not need credit.
Thanks, mp.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Most financial advisors suggest 3 tradelines and you might want to consider opening a home equity line. They should not have any closing costs, you only make a payment if you borrow money, and I use mine to track what I spend in home improvements.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I had top notch credit our entire lives (owned a fairly large business) and we worried a bit about your question when we retired. Been retired for almost seven years now and with only utilities, insurance and normal credit card expenses we still have top notch credit. I have NO idea how they score us as we haven`t owed anyone anything for well over ten years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
No debt for 2 plus years. 817.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems so...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Just have a few cc's with high limits and low balances.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Mortgage paid off for 10 years, no car debt ever, zero cc debt. No debt what so ever.

820 credit score.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any debt, I pay off my CC each month, my FICO 8 score stays around 800-809 every month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
A good credit-card history plus a 3-year 0% industrial equipment loan I took out when I was 16 was sufficient credit history for me to buy a house with zero down at age 23.

I have no clue how that equipment loan affected my history/score, it most definitely had to have a positive influence but how much I don't know. The amount of the loan was $17k

With that loan by itself I doubt it would have been sufficient so I'll say credit cards have to be decent but I think they want to see some form of installment loan on the history as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a couple secured credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month. Technically you carry a positive balance on them and really aren't in debt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
It is based on the ability and willingness to take on debt and your effectiveness at repayment.   Just because you don't have a loan doesn't mean much.   Your score could actually go up because the metrics mean you can  or have a habit of taking on more debt.   I have 1 cc that I told them to close that never has, other than that no debt to anyone for years and my credit is 720 or so.   I should call them again to close it but who cares it doesn't affect my life one way or another and I bought two used cars last week.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It is based on the ability and willingness to take on debt and your effectiveness at repayment.   Just because you don't have a loan doesn't mean much.   Your score could actually go up because the metrics mean you can  or have a habit of taking on more debt.   I have 1 cc that I told them to close that never has, other than that no debt to anyone for years and my credit is 720 or so.   I should call them again to close it but who cares it doesn't affect my life one way or another and I bought two used cars last week.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My credit score is over 800 and has been for years with ZERO debit.       I do have ever have and use several credit cards where I charge anywhere from a few thousand to 10K a month on.    But these charges are always paid at the end of the month.      I do not pay credit car interest.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
yes, but you get a "great" one if you pay lots of interest 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I would think so. I had a pretty good credit score prior to having a mortgage and I had no debt. I used my CC on a monthly basis but paid it off in full and did not carry a balance
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't had a house or car payment in over 20 years.

I do have some high limit cards which I use heavily at times but they get paid off monthly.

My last score was 798.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I've found my credit sucked since I had zero debt and paid with cash for everything. So I got some credit cards and used them for food and gas and everyday stuff and paid them off every month so I didn't get hit with interest. Next thing I knew my credit was awesome!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems so...
View Quote
Same here.  Upper 700s with just a credit card when I financed a new vehicle recently.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]
You will need some form of debt to build a decent credit score.

IMO check out Dave Ramsey and learn to live a debt free life. I wish I would have discovered his years early.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top