Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2017 2:39:55 PM EDT
I have been comparing ETFs and index funds, but have been confused by the pros and cons of each. I am specifically talking about funds that track the same index. For example, the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF VOO versus their mutual funds VFINX or VFIAX. What is the benefit of investing in a mutual fund that tracks the same index as the ETF? I have read multiple articles like this one from Investopedia, and it seems ETFs are the much better option. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the expense ratio of each?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

bingo .. ETF if you get free trades on them
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, and plan to do after I research this further, is that ETFs will be better for the investor within non-tax-advantaged accounts, while the activity within mutual funds can wreak tax havoc... so mutual funds are better in tax-advantaged accounts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expense Ratios:
VOO - .05%
VFINX - .16%
VFIAX - .05%
Even considering that it seems when comparing the ETF vs the Admiral shares the differences are negligible between the two, with the ETF being much easier to trade (and I believe with a Vanguard account all Vanguard products lack a trade fee). Perhaps it would be be best if I narrowed down my purpose for each. Investing in either would be very long term, I am just confused as to which I should start with.  I don't have the funds available for VFIAX, so I guess it's really between VOO or VFINX. I am leaning towards VOO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From what I understand, and plan to do after I research this further, is that ETFs will be better for the investor within non-tax-advantaged accounts, while the activity within mutual funds can wreak tax havoc... so mutual funds are better in tax-advantaged accounts.
View Quote

So if I were to invest in VFINX it should be in an IRA?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the funds that he is talking about the ETF and Mutual fund are operated in the same manner, so you'd have similar issues (or not) with capital gain distributions with each class of fund.  However, Vanguard is fairly unique in this regard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]
ETFs deal in "shares" like a stock... no partial shares.

Mutual funds deal in "amounts", and those can be partial shares.  

I can specify an order for $2000 of a mutual fund, but not an ETF.  

Automatic Reinvest dividend income in Mutual funds are easier, since you can do partial shares.

You generally cannot specify a sale with partial shares of an ETF, unless you are selling out of a position.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
From your response and from the others, as well as what I've read, it seems the ETFs are the best option right now for me. I will have to keep reading up on the tax implications of each option for the long term. Overall, ETFs seem to be much more accessible. Here are some other relevant articles I've found if anyone is interested: www.etf.com and Bogleheads.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In the funds that he is talking about the ETF and Mutual fund are operated in the same manner, so you'd have similar issues (or not) with capital gain distributions with each class of fund.  However, Vanguard is fairly unique in this regard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that the trading within the ETF was "shielded" from triggering the tax events...
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I thought that the trading within the ETF was "shielded" from triggering the tax events...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To my knowledge and experience, ETFs are still required distribute income to the fund holders.

That being said, Vanguard has historically made an effort to avoid generating capital gains within their funds and EFTs.  For example, I hold some VTI which didn't distribute ANY capital gains in the last quarter.  Other ETFs avoid capital gains by trading securities in-kind rather than through cash, but still have gains at times.

Vanguard operates their ETFs in the exact same manner as their equivalent mutual fund.  Same objectives, holdings, and management.  So if their mutual fund is throwing off a lot of capital gains, their ETF for that fund will as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top