Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 7:29:15 PM EDT
I turned 24k into 39k - and told myself that when the dow got to above 18k I would pull out. I went to exchange the shares for mutual fund shares and any request received after 4pm will be processed at the end of the next days close.

Any reason to process it now, rather than wait to see what happens tomorrow? My timeline for withdrawal will be in the next month or so. Should I cash out, or transfer it to a mutual fund?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you have figured in the income tax consequences.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah figure 30% on capital gains, but on the other hand mortage interest write off may offset a good portion of that

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

yeah figure 30% on capital gains, but on the other hand mortage interest write off may offset a good portion of that

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what is the difference between long term and short term capital gains? The growth was over probably 6 or so years. So it hopefully it would be 15% rather than 30. In any case it was something I knew would be unavoidable and wont prevent me from pulling out

looks like it is 1 year on short term and >1 yr for long term. I should be good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Very smart and congratulations on your soon to be new home. A far better investment.
Yesterday I was going to cash in my Apple stock and buy another rental. I should have as now I am stuck with a losing stock
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Stocks held for at least a year are taxed at 15%. If you held it less than a year then you pay capital gains tax 30%.

This is what pisses me off about liberals spouting the rich pay less taxes than working people. Well, no shit they have the money to live off the interest that money makes. That's how people can retire eventually. Want to tax the rich you're gonna be stealing from grandma to do it in a lot of cases.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stocks held for at least a year are taxed at 15%. If you held it less than a year then you pay capital gains tax 30%.

This is what pisses me off about liberals spouting the rich pay less taxes than working people. Well, no shit they have the money to live off the interest that money makes. That's how people can retire eventually. Want to tax the rich you're gonna be stealing from grandma to do it in a lot of cases.
View Quote

Damn right. I don't know why this doesn't get brought up more. I've been screaming this for years. I think the average sheep things that rich people pay this lower "capital gains" and poor people pay "income taxes". Everyone who invests be they thousandaires or millionairse pay capital gains taxes. If warren buffet worked a 9-5 his income would be taxed like his secretary (only at a higher bracket).
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was going to cash in my Apple stock and buy another rental. I should have as now I am stuck with a losing stock
View Quote

It will bounce back. I think the market over reacted to the report. Everyone was just shocked to see apple miss.

This is possibly a buy opportunity in disguise.

The real (long term) question is will apple continue to dominate the smartphone markets. I fear they have peaked but in the big picture Its hard to say for sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It will bounce back. I think the market over reacted to the report. Everyone was just shocked to see apple miss.

The real (long term) question is will apple continue to dominate the smartphone markets. I fear they have peaked but in the big picture Its hard to say for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will argue the opposite.  I think market still underestimates the potential downside.  I don't think people sufficiently appreciate how dangerous a situation it is when a companies value is based almost entirely on the profits earned by a single product.  Especially a single product that is at risk of eroding margins as a result of maturation of the category.  Even worse that you are talking about a company with the largest market cap in history.

It's not reasonable to presume that phones will continue to carry the premium that they do today for the indefinite future anymore than it would have been reasonable to presume PCs to do the same starting from the 90s.  

The only way they maintain their current value let alone grow it is if they can come up with "the next big thing" yet again.  It's not an easy task to come up with a hit product that justifies a half trillion dollar market cap.  Everyone is trying and it's only been done ONCE in recorded history.  I'm not saying it can't happen but you've got to think about the long odds when risking your money on the chance that it could.  

I said all of this back in Nov/Dec 2014 (iirc) on these same forums when I sold my stock so it's not like I came up with this in hindsight.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I turned 24k into 39k - and told myself that when the dow got to above 18k I would pull out. I went to exchange the shares for mutual fund shares and any request received after 4pm will be processed at the end of the next days close.

Any reason to process it now, rather than wait to see what happens tomorrow? My timeline for withdrawal will be in the next month or so. Should I cash out, or transfer it to a mutual fund?
View Quote

You hit your mark. Personally I'd pull it out and invest in the house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
You should not have money in the market that you anticipate using within the next ~5 years.  That means the money you NEED in a month should have been out a long time ago.  What happens if the market takes a massive dump?  Would you have the money to fund the closing without it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should not have money in the market that you anticipate using within the next ~5 years.  That means the money you NEED in a month should have been out a long time ago.  What happens if the market takes a massive dump?  Would you have the money to fund the closing without it?
View Quote

This - and it also means, don't put it in a mutual fund when you pull it out. Put it in a short-term CD or something like that.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#12]
If your first time home buyer, you can avoid the 10% early withdrawal up to 10k on your taxes, there is a special form you use. Your allowed to take part of your retirement for buying a house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top