Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2016 11:03:11 PM EDT
Looking to get into silver, rounds in particular, 90-99%. Have been checking the EE from time to time and find myself wondering if I'd be best off buying direct from a company such as APMEX, or is it relatively safe to purchase local or from individuals? There's a coin show in town this weekend and I feel as though a good place to start, aside from the little research I've done online, is to go chat with the vendors and get a feel of where to start. My biggest concerns are, what should I look for in terms of value/silver content(IE, not looking to spend much over spot), and how do I go about not getting scammed as I'm only semi studied up on how to spot fakes.

Any input is appreciated, again I'm new so any suggestions on books, forums or videos on the matter will be beneficial. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
https://comparesilverprices.com/

I would just buy online from a reputable dealer.  Generic bars and rounds will be the least over spot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of good info HERE
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a chit load when it was over $35/oz so I'm not feeling the silver love.  Probably a good investment at these levels.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy local from a dealer, coin shows are also a good place.  

Having a relationship with a local dealer will help when you want to sell in the future.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a chit load when it was over $35/oz so I'm not feeling the silver love.  Probably a good investment at these levels.
View Quote

I bought a lot too at that price, but I've also purchased a good bit at lower prices. Dollar cost averaging is a good thing with silver/gold. Just buy a little at a time periodically. I've purchased from Apmex, provident metals, silvertowne, and JM bullion with great results.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just getting into it as well.  So far only have 16 ounces and I'm sitting at roughly 17 an ounce as my average.  That price includes spot, and Credit card fees as well.  I don't think that's a bad average to have.  I understand silver was once $4 an ounce,  I just don't have faith in the long term dollar value.  I am not a doomer,  I'm just being prepared in case the something happens.  Still have a healthy 401 as well.  Diversifying my portfolio is how I use it.

My opinion on nusmatics is they are costly.  But what your paying for is a unique piece of art on a coin that would be hard to copy and make fraudelant.  Straight bullion is easy to make fakes and sell to new buyers.  And always use reputable pm distributors.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just getting into it as well.  So far only have 16 ounces and I'm sitting at roughly 17 an ounce as my average.  That price includes spot, and Credit card fees as well.  I don't think that's a bad average to have.  I understand silver was once $4 an ounce,  I just don't have faith in the long term dollar value.  I am not a doomer,  I'm just being prepared in case the something happens.  Still have a healthy 401 as well.  Diversifying my portfolio is how I use it.

My opinion on nusmatics is they are costly.  But what your paying for is a unique piece of art on a coin that would be hard to copy and make fraudelant.  Straight bullion is easy to make fakes and sell to new buyers.  And always use reputable pm distributors.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

IMHO if you're not buying at least a treasury roll of 20 coins at a time (in those tubes with the green tops) you're wasting your time.  Are you buying it one coin at a time?  In Maryland you have to spend over $1,000 in bullion to avoid sales tax so I usually get a couple rolls at a time when I was buying.  I think I will go get a few more rolls for the sake of dolla cost averaging.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IMHO if you're not buying at least a treasury roll of 20 coins at a time (in those tubes with the green tops) you're wasting your time.  Are you buying it one coin at a time?  In Maryland you have to spend over $1,000 in bullion to avoid sales tax so I usually get a couple rolls at a time when I was buying.  I think I will go get a few more rolls for the sake of dolla cost averaging.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand buying in bulk lowers the cost. My state has no tax for PMS.  I usually purchase $100+ so I do not have to pay shipoing.  I've only began getting into silver in February.   Bout to make my 4th order.  Usually buy 5/6 bullion rounds/bars.  

17 a round isn't too bad if I sell at $30, or $40, $60 if the price ever peaks that high.

Beside the dollar cost averaging, why is adding silver to my portfolio at 17 a round a bad investment?

I'm not into nusmatic coins yet.  I'm about to purchase gold too but I really wish the price would come down from 1200+
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I just FO'd on a 20 roll of ASEs from GovMint.com.  Free shipping, no sales tax, no CC fee, and a reasonable amount over spot.  If it turns out OK I'll buy more from them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up purchasing a few here and there from brick and mortar shops set up at a local show recently, then through down for 20 SAEs from APMEX not long ago. Think I'll do 20 a month, that's what I'm comfortable with, stick with APMEX, and probably stick with the Silver American Eagle. So long as they don't charge $20/oz after fees and such, I think I'll keep at it. Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just FO'd on a 20 roll of ASEs from GovMint.com.  Free shipping, no sales tax, no CC fee, and a reasonable amount over spot.  If it turns out OK I'll buy more from them.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.!  Might have to order some next pay day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They look quite a bit cheaper than APMEX so please keep us posted.  

Why is the price per coin more for the tube versus buying a single coin?  Seems like the price per coin for the tube should be less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the price per coin more for the tube versus buying a single coin?  Seems like the price per coin for the tube should be less.

Agreed, I paid $10 more for the tube.  Still a good price and I prefer the tube even though that's a stupid premium to get a tube.  Still very cheap overall so I'm happy
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I may be looking at this wrong but it seems like the price really needs to go up after you buy to even break even
Say spot is 15, you have to pay spot plus a few dollars more to purchase, then when you want to sell you will get a few dollars under spot.
Ammo seems a better investment
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I may be looking at this wrong but it seems like the price really needs to go up after you buy to even break even
Say spot is 15, you have to pay spot plus a few dollars more to purchase, then when you want to sell you will get a few dollars under spot.
View Quote

I think the whole point is that silver isn't an investment. It's a way to store wealth and hedge against inflation.

As an investment, it's beyond terrible.

As a hedge or wealth storage vehicle, meh. I don't have silver at this point, but I get it. I can't say it's a terrible approach. I'm just at a stage in my life where i'm trying to gain, not preserve wealth.

I have 6000 pounds of lead though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the videos on youtube pretty much summed it up for my purposes. It's an insurance, sure, it's not the cheapest insurance, and regardless of at what point you purchase it, you'll likely lose money on it if you sell at the wrong time. You purchase it, in small increments(15% of your investing portfolio is the max I've heard) and hang onto it(forget it like a long term stock), hoping you never need to use it, just as you wouldn't hope to total your vehicle and cash in whatever you pay for auto insurance all those years. I squirrel away ammo as well, and yes, it too is tangible, and properly stored can last for decades. That being said, if you ever try reselling ammo, then you're still competing with the market, you will be shipping via FedEx/UPS, and I can fit allot more silver in my safe than ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always bought from AMEX because I worry about counterfeits on sites like ebay. I don't consider it an investment though. I buy it because I like PMs and they will always hold some value. A cheap (free) way to get silver is to get boxes of half dollars from the bank and just return the non-silver ones. I haven't tried this yet but some people have good results especially at banks near retirement communities. One guy I talked to had found whole rolls of silver half dollars like that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]
For low over-spot prime, look at round produced by the private mints (apmex, sunshine, bullion direct, various others). I always look for ".999% pure" and "1 Troy oz" but those are on the rounds in 99% of circumstances anyway.

I've never bought on the EE, but I have sold silver on the EE a few times and it was a good experience in all cases.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am happy!

" />
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have spare time, buy boxes of rolled coin from banks. Search them for silver coins. There is a lot of silver still in circulation. Below are some examples of some of the stuff I've found recently. I've collected roughly 30 Troy oz of silver in the form of coins, all of which was bought at face value.

Examples:

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
You can buy bars and rounds, and they will only be worth their silver value.
You can buy specialty govt bullion they might be worth collector after a few years. If not then you have silver value to fall back on, but you will pay higher premiums.
I compare a few websites and ebay sales when buying silver. Sometimes silver from Apmex website is cheaper (or more expensive) than silver from Apmex Ebay account.
When buying silver from ebay, only buy from the major companies, don't buy anything from china.

I started buying a few coins for my kids, but its starting to turn into another expensive hobby.

I used to get coins from the self car wash places, and used them for the laundry machines, only found one 1964 silver coin, lots of 1965s and later.
I wouldn't waste time searching through bags of bank coins, you can buy a bag of used silver coins on most coin websites.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Been asking the banks and it seems a lot of folks around here have the same idea But alas, I'll occasionally buy the eagles from APMEX when they put rolls on sale. It's a start, there are definitely some cool mints but fir the time being I'm sticking strictly to American silver eagles.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't sell it back to the dealer and take a cut. Sell it to an individual for a couple bucks over spot and let them cover the shipping or split it. Cut out the middle man and the buyer and seller both come out ahead. Don't even have to leave this site to do so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't sell it back to the dealer and take a cut. Sell it to an individual for a couple bucks over spot and let them cover the shipping or split it. Cut out the middle man and the buyer and seller both come out ahead. Don't even have to leave this site to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done just that 3 or 4 times :)
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you have spare time, buy boxes of rolled coin from banks. Search them for silver coins. There is a lot of silver still in circulation. Below are some examples of some of the stuff I've found recently. I've collected roughly 30 Troy oz of silver in the form of coins, all of which was bought at face value.

Examples:

http://i.imgur.com/1hXH43p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QUvYsv8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vhDpYIm.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Examples:

I've been trying to get started on this, have a few silvers in the safe from this. I do have a question (and this may be for another thread) other than the obvious ones, quarters and dimes, what are some good coins to look for?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have been toying with this idea as well, just to make a few extra monies to do the same. I have looked at the pricing some, but not sure what good prices are and the best place to buy (although knowing it's very subjective) and it looks to be not exactly a long term flip, but has some waiting. Is that correct?

On my phone I can watch stocks, is there a way to watch metals too?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been trying to get started on this, have a few silvers in the safe from this. I do have a question (and this may be for another thread) other than the obvious ones, quarters and dimes, what are some good coins to look for?
Have been toying with this idea as well, just to make a few extra monies to do the same. I have looked at the pricing some, but not sure what good prices are and the best place to buy (although knowing it's very subjective) and it looks to be not exactly a long term flip, but has some waiting. Is that correct?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Examples:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
SLW is up 8.86% today,

NUGT is up 32.55%
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I bought a lot too at that price, but I've also purchased a good bit at lower prices. Dollar cost averaging is a good thing with silver/gold. Just buy a little at a time periodically. I've purchased from Apmex, provident metals, silvertowne, and JM bullion with great results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I was young, naïve and bought into the whole dollar collapse and silver to $100 thing. Luckily I was young, just out of college and could only afford a couple oz here and there. Also, I bought some silver dollars, most of which have double in value which has helped offset what I lost in bullion.

I would consider buying coins/bullion a hobby, keep the budget small and have fun learning about the coins and the concept of PMs. If it goes up in value, great, if not no loss as you were mainly doing it for the fun of it anyways. Or treat it like an alternative investment, such as buying action figures, firearms, cars, etc… you don’t want the bulk of your wealth/retirement wrapped up in any of those investments but if a few percent of your net wealth is in one of them that’s fine
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I check kitco, they have spot charts up to the hour for Gold, Silver, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Examples:

Half dollars is what most people look for. Downside is that a lot of people buy half dollar boxes, so it may take awhile to find them. I don't waste my time with quarters really, there just aren't that many silver quarters out there anymore. I've been looking for almost a year now and have only found about 7. That's just silvers though. There are error coins out there as well that can be worth a lot more than face.

If you are looking at just value, wheat pennies are easy to find. Not worth much, but more than face value. Other thing is old bills; silver certificates, red seal bills, anything older that 1989. If suggest making friends with a teller at your bank, tell them to keep an eye out for stuff for you. Usually they will save it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I looked into the whole buying rolls of coins from the bank looking for silver.

Turns out all the banks around here hire a service to do that already
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to go to the carwash and exchange cash for coins for my apt laundry machine, only found 1 silver quarter, over the course of 5 years.
Searching for silver quarters is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#34]
At four minutes past midnight (4 July, 2016), silver hit $20. Silver is the canary in the coalmine. - Andy Hoffman.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's an interesting read I found today.  

How do you know when the world’s economic, financial and monetary systems are in trouble?

Answer: When re-insurance companies, whose sole purpose is to insure other insurance companies, start to panic into gold and begin hoarding cash it’s probably a reliable signal that things aren’t going as well as our central bankers’ best laid plans imply.

That’s exactly what’s happening right now.
View Quote

There's more and a video at the link:  
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/they-know-its-coming-insurance-company-risk-experts-have-started-hoarding-physical-gold-and-cash-ahead-of-crisis_07092016?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SHTFplan+%28SHTF+Plan+-+When+It+Hits+The+Fan%2C+Don't+Say+We+Didn't+Warn+You%29
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here's an interesting read I found today.  

How do you know when the world’s economic, financial and monetary systems are in trouble?

Answer: When re-insurance companies, whose sole purpose is to insure other insurance companies, start to panic into gold and begin hoarding cash it’s probably a reliable signal that things aren’t going as well as our central bankers’ best laid plans imply.

That’s exactly what’s happening right now.

There's more and a video at the link:  
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/they-know-its-coming-insurance-company-risk-experts-have-started-hoarding-physical-gold-and-cash-ahead-of-crisis_07092016?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SHTFplan+%28SHTF+Plan+-+When+It+Hits+The+Fan%2C+Don't+Say+We+Didn't+Warn+You%29

Been hearing that same crap for over a decade now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Been hearing that same crap for over a decade now.
View Quote

I recall hearing it in the seventies. Good luck to you and your household.  

Here is John Rubino, who was OMB budget director under Reagan;   He comments on metals:  
http://financialsurvivalnetwork.com/2016/07/signs-of-stress-everywhere/
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Is anyone getting short silver here? You can sell the SLV aug 19 calls for 70 cents. It's had a pretty big run up recently.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is anyone getting short silver here? You can sell the SLV aug 19 calls for 70 cents. It's had a pretty big run up recently.
View Quote

Not currently short SLV, but I have successfully shorted it a couple of years ago.  Seems to me that the arguments for holding physical PMs would also indicate that one should short the paper ETFs.  (Only if you think the price is going to decline, of course, which is anathema to most gold and silver bugs).

Naked calls scare me to death, I would prefer to sell short, that is risky enough.  I suppose spreads are the sensible way to play this, but I have never been known for being sensible.

My current PM position is neutral/bullish gold.  SLV does look like it might suffer from altitude sickness soon.  Have to keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not currently short SLV, but I have successfully shorted it a couple of years ago.  Seems to me that the arguments for holding physical PMs would also indicate that one should short the paper ETFs.  (Only if you think the price is going to decline, of course, which is anathema to most gold and silver bugs).

Naked calls scare me to death, I would prefer to sell short, that is risky enough.  I suppose spreads are the sensible way to play this, but I have never been known for being sensible.

My current PM position is neutral/bullish gold.  SLV does look like it might suffer from altitude sickness soon.  Have to keep an eye on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny that naked calls scare you more than being short, because naked calls are simply a way to get short at a higher price. Selling a call is more conservative than just shorting something.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I used to go to the carwash and exchange cash for coins for my apt laundry machine, only found 1 silver quarter, over the course of 5 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a thing like 10+ years ago. Once the prices took off people figured it out quickly and the banks started removing it themselves.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't do it, chances are you will lose your ass as PMs are very volatile and can have huge price swings making it difficult to tell when to buy or sell.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't do it, chances are you will lose your ass as PMs are very volatile and can have huge price swings making it difficult to tell when to buy or sell.
View Quote

iTs fine to dabble in if you have the money and looking for an alternative investment, problem is most people you talk to who invest in PMs are all in, to the point where they cash out their 401ks to buy it. Way to risky
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Half dollars is what most people look for. Downside is that a lot of people buy half dollar boxes, so it may take awhile to find them. I don't waste my time with quarters really, there just aren't that many silver quarters out there anymore. I've been looking for almost a year now and have only found about 7. That's just silvers though. There are error coins out there as well that can be worth a lot more than face.

If you are looking at just value, wheat pennies are easy to find. Not worth much, but more than face value. Other thing is old bills; silver certificates, red seal bills, anything older that 1989. If suggest making friends with a teller at your bank, tell them to keep an eye out for stuff for you. Usually they will save it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examples:

I did this a few years back when going to college and working part time. Most banks around here will order boxes of half dollars for you if you have an account (some require a business account). ALWAYS BRING THE CLAD COINS BACK TO A DIFFERENT BANK OR AT LEAST BRANCH. best thing about half dollars is 1965-1970 are 40% silver not sure the average joe knows that. I kept a log of what i found one year and it was a hair over 75oz. sold all my 40% halves at about $25 spot to help fund school. It was fun but got very addicting once you hit a collection dump or two.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#46]
APMEX is having a sale on eBay for 10 oz silver bars at $0.15 over spot.  Here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top