Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2016 9:43:19 PM EDT
Just curious if any of you have a particular stock you are watching.

I decided this week to start playing in the stock market.  Opened a USAA broker account and put a hundred bucks in it.  A buddy of mine told me to keep an eye on Freeport McMoran(FCX) and that he felt it was a $40 stock that was going to go back up over the next year or two.

So, I'm curious, do any of you keep an eye on FCX, or any other stocks you'd care to share the why on?  I know I'm not going to make anything the way I'm playing now, but figure its a $100 lesson and money well spent.  Also bought 2000 shares of Sabine Oil, because I think they are going to pull through and it was less than a penny a share.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Invest your money in books instead.   What exactly do you think you are buying?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.

Understand first, that stocks trade on emotion before financials.

Second - I'm not sure investing $100 is going to be worth it for you - 10% of your stake will go to trade fees just to get in, per position.

Start with "Investing for Dummies" and get familiar with the nuts and bolts.

Edit: Also, try to stay away from penny stocks. They are tempting and can sometimes make you some money but you need to watch the volume to make sure you will be able to get rid of something.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You misunderstand, should have been more clear.  The lesson is learning how to trade on my own, not learning how to play the market by trial and error :)

I'm having fun with cheap stocks because I fully expect to lose all of the money, but wild swings of 10-25% in a day are exciting, even if they only change my balance by a couple of bucks.  When i feel like I understand it, I will just put a small portion of my fun money in the account and play with it.  My retirement investments are with my father in law, who is an Jones FA. I'll leave the serious stuff to the professionals.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You can use a fake trading platform. Its exactly like real except the money is just numbers. Thats how i learned. Not sure what platforms are out there now, that was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Sunedison is what you want.  It goes all the hell over the place, and may actually amount to something.  And may not

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Once oil becomes profitable again? WNR, VLO, DK and HFC.

I swingtrade these fuckers all week long.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sunedison is what you want.  It goes all the hell over the place, and may actually amount to something.  And may not

View Quote

Quick search shows  "toxic financing" by them. Tread lightly. Does look like some decent gains could be attainable short term with relative risk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quick search shows  "toxic financing" by them. Tread lightly. Does look like some decent gains could be attainable short term with relative risk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they're a mess.  Another company where someone should've taken away the CEO's checkbook.   We'll see.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
i don't trade stocks anymore. I'm surprised that there aren't more of you in Forex.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just curious if any of you have a particular stock you are watching.

I decided this week to start playing in the stock market.  Opened a USAA broker account and put a hundred bucks in it.  A buddy of mine told me to keep an eye on Freeport McMoran(FCX) and that he felt it was a $40 stock that was going to go back up over the next year or two.

So, I'm curious, do any of you keep an eye on FCX, or any other stocks you'd care to share the why on?  I know I'm not going to make anything the way I'm playing now, but figure its a $100 lesson and money well spent.  Also bought 2000 shares of Sabine Oil, because I think they are going to pull through and it was less than a penny a share.
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/About-Asset-Allocation-Second-Edition/dp/0071700781/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i don't trade stocks anymore. I'm surprised that there aren't more of you in Forex.
View Quote

I have certainly thought about it. Why do you prefer it over stocks? Any learning curve tips you might be able to share with us?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have certainly thought about it. Why do you prefer it over stocks? Any learning curve tips you might be able to share with us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-tag.

I thought FOREX was a shitload more difficult than normal stock swing trading.

Standing by for data collection.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Re-tag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-tag.

I'm about to go to work, after i get back from work i will give you a better idea of what forex is. I will leave you with this.

i started out trading stock (apple, google, ford, etc...) then options on index EFTs. But you still have the same pattern day trading rules so i moved into futures trading and now I'm in Forex and CFDs strictly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
WARNING! THIS IS A PENNY STOCK! If you don't like penny stocks I don't really care, I'm not interesting in hearing how I'm trying to scam anyone or I partake in pump and dumps.  Ticker is WSGP currently trading @ 0.0001. There's news out about them attempting to acquire a percentage of an environmental  spray cleaner company(don't really care). I've seen this ticker move a lot with rumors and news in the past. Trading the rumor more than anything here folks, that's it. Hoping to see 0.0002. Sell everything for profit or get initial investment back and see if she goes any higher. Again, I don't play these often anymore but I have seen this move and 0.0001 is as low as she can go so it's not like I'm trying to get you to buy so I can sell into you. Buy at 0.0001 and sell at 0.0002.

Rumors make moves in the wild west of penny stock land.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Index fund that tracks the S&P500.

VOO or SPY
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Index fund that tracks the S&P500.

VOO or SPY
View Quote

Really? I'm still not convinced we are headed north just yet. Temporary bounce yes but I think we dip lower ultimately. I honestly hope you're right. The "market crash on Monday" thread in GD is so full of fucker trie it's not even funny, who knows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WARNING! THIS IS A PENNY STOCK! If you don't like penny stocks I don't really care, I'm not interesting in hearing how I'm trying to scam anyone or I partake in pump and dumps.  Ticker is WSGP currently trading @ 0.0001. There's news out about them attempting to acquire a percentage of an environmental  spray cleaner company(don't really care). I've seen this ticker move a lot with rumors and news in the past. Trading the rumor more than anything here folks, that's it. Hoping to see 0.0002. Sell everything for profit or get initial investment back and see if she goes any higher. Again, I don't play these often anymore but I have seen this move and 0.0001 is as low as she can go so it's not like I'm trying to get you to buy so I can sell into you. Buy at 0.0001 and sell at 0.0002.

Rumors make moves in the wild west of penny stock land.
View Quote

WSGP will more than likely kiss 0.0003 a few times in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking at
APC
VNR
RDS.A
KMI
PPHM

and also
WY (REIT)
GLOP
DLNG
GMLP
TGP
TK
WR
HES
ALJ
CYDVF (penny)
ulta
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I watch WMT, WFC, FB, AMZN, VZ, T, CMG, WFC, BAC, BP, XOM, CVX, and AAPL. Only 4 of those are stocks that I have positions in (WMT, VZ, T, BAC). WMT was bought on the dip around $58 something, T awhile back at mid $32's, VZ at high $45's, and BAC twice - once at $14.83 and the other at $13.50.

If I had more money I would have bought FB before they released their previous earnings. Or perhaps BP under the $30/sh mark. AAPL is tempting but I think their best days are behind them until something new comes down the pipe. I'd like to go long on an oil stock, BP perhaps, but things are too messy right now. It's been interesting but semi predictable watching AMZN and CMG tumble. A lot of people are short AMZN right now.

Until oil rebounds, a good portion of the market will continue to get beat up (especially financials, some more than others e.g. BAC), and there will be some fantastic buying opportunities as a result.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Is anyone looking at some of the oil companies that have hit the penny stocks lately? Such as SDOC, MPOY, PVAH, and GDPM?

I know getting into oil seems crazy right now, but some of these guys are so undervalued (from a stock perspective), I'm considering throwing in some money just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is anyone looking at some of the oil companies that have hit the penny stocks lately? Such as SDOC, MPOY, PVAH, and GDPM?

I know getting into oil seems crazy right now, but some of these guys are so undervalued (from a stock perspective), I'm considering throwing in some money just to see what happens.
View Quote

I've lost my ass on GDPM. I bought way too early. I figured oil prices would be higher now. All the experts said Saudi Arabia couldn't produce oil like they have been for this long.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WARNING! THIS IS A PENNY STOCK! If you don't like penny stocks I don't really care, I'm not interesting in hearing how I'm trying to scam anyone or I partake in pump and dumps.  Ticker is WSGP currently trading @ 0.0001.... Buy at 0.0001 and sell at 0.0002.
View Quote

it's a good theory but it doesn't work when there are so few shareholders and such a large float.

btw that "company" is run out of someone's bedroom, and the whole house is only worth $122K.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

it's a good theory but it doesn't work when there are so few shareholders and such a large float.

btw that "company" is run out of someone's bedroom, and the whole house is only worth $122K.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WARNING! THIS IS A PENNY STOCK! If you don't like penny stocks I don't really care, I'm not interesting in hearing how I'm trying to scam anyone or I partake in pump and dumps.  Ticker is WSGP currently trading @ 0.0001.... Buy at 0.0001 and sell at 0.0002.

ar-jedi

Generally speaking you're absolutely correct. However, I wasn't generally speaking about some random stock. I followed it's moves in the past and knew it was capable of  the 100% gain which is why I shared. I posted that Jan 27th, If you would look at a volume chart it would actually be impossible to have bought so many @ 0001 that you would have any left had you wanted to completely cash out @ 0002. After the date I posted this there was at least 10x more volume trading 0002 than 0001 with a very thin ASK at times. I called this correctly and sold half my shares @ 0002 and am waiting for 0003 and higher to sell my other half.  I believe it was you and another gentlemen who gave me a hard time last time I mentioned a penny stock, even though it made gains. Again, I'm not interested in arguing. This was a real world example of making 100% profits, hope others made $ here as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]

I just added Twitter to my stock watch as well as LinkedIn. I so wish I would've gotten on the short train with the former. I'm guessing their market cap is going to keep going lower until the $5-6 billion range. Could be wrong but we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Generally speaking you're absolutely correct. However, I wasn't generally speaking about some random stock. I followed it's moves in the past and knew it was capable of  the 100% gain which is why I shared. I posted that Jan 27th, If you would look at a volume chart it would actually be impossible to have bought so many @ 0001 that you would have any left had you wanted to completely cash out @ 0002. After the date I posted this there was at least 10x more volume trading 0002 than 0001 with a very thin ASK at times. I called this correctly and sold half my shares @ 0002 and am waiting for 0003 and higher to sell my other half.  I believe it was you and another gentlemen who gave me a hard time last time I mentioned a penny stock, even though it made gains. Again, I'm not interested in arguing. This was a real world example of making 100% profits, hope others made $ here as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

WSGP round #2.  Same deal as before.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I second education. I am currently going through the course work with a teaching company called Investools and learning the Thinkorswim trading platform.

Do not jump in blind. You'd think you could just roll the dice but somehow you will lose way more than you make. (I have learned all these lessons the hard way)
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Why does he feel it's a $40 stock? They are losing money so fast they will be lucky not to go bankrupt. I've been watching it for about a year.

Net operating cash flow 612M

Capex 1.3B

Free Cash Flow -686M

Cash on hand 224M

Long term debt 20B

Without massive borrowing or a sharp turn around in copper prices they are in trouble
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why does he feel it's a $40 stock? They are losing money so fast they will be lucky not to go bankrupt. I've been watching it for about a year.

Capex 1.3B
Free Cash Flow -686M

Cash on hand 224M
Long term debt 20B

Without massive borrowing or a sharp turn around in copper prices they are in trouble
View Quote

Which company are we discussing here?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Capex 1.3B

Free Cash Flow -686M

Cash on hand 224M

Long term debt 20B

Freeport McMoran

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I started out like you, OP. Started investing on my own with no formal training.

Win some, lose some. I'd stick to established companies. Moderate gains but not as risky as penny stocks or other random ones. I bought into a solar company without researching it once. $4k. It went up to 5k but I kept holding on. Now it's worth ~$35. I was dumb. I didn't look at the financials. It was an expensive lesson to learn.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Freeport McMoran  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capex 1.3B
Free Cash Flow -686M

Cash on hand 224M
Long term debt 20B

Freeport McMoran  

I bought FM in January for under $5, doubled my investment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Capex 1.3B

Free Cash Flow -686M

Cash on hand 224M

Long term debt 20B

Freeport McMoran  

It might go up even more but that doesn't mean they aren't on the edge of bankruptcy. Best case is they might be bought by another mining company

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It might go up even more but that doesn't mean they aren't on the edge of bankruptcy. Best case is they might be bought by another mining company
View Quote

The best case is that copper, gold, and oil all keep trending up and the dollar stays weak.  
Oil & gas is their biggest problem.  

I'm not saying it's not risky, but it's still up in the air- by the time China stops stockpiling cheap copper (which seems to be the only reason the price has gone up), oil could recover and those O&G assets could actually pay for themselves.  Eventually.  

It'll be a short term nailbiter for sure though.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The best case is that copper, gold, and oil all keep trending up and the dollar stays weak.  

I'm not saying it's not risky, but it's still up in the air- by the time China stops stockpiling cheap copper (which seems to be the only reason the price has gone up), oil could recover and those O&G assets could actually pay for themselves.  Eventually.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you're right. My two losing investments are RIO and BBL. Their financials are much better but even so they've been crushed. I still think they will pay back a big return though. They have the money to ride this out. Some of the other miners won't make it. They have too much debt and are burning cash too fast.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Still like WSGP, hate the dead volume but a run is imminent, If you got 1's you're good just need patience.  TRTC has got my attention again. Held this for a long time a few years ago and got tired of waiting. There's going to be a lot of hype building up to 4/20 for TRTC. I'm banking on big brother to bring this down to strong support levels(0.21) so they can load up before 4/20. That's right around where I plan on entering. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, they're a mess.  Another company where someone should've taken away the CEO's checkbook.   We'll see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have been pretty exciting to watch over the last 5 days.

Bankruptcy is imminent and the stock has some wild 10% swings. Pull out your magic 8 ball and play the SUNE lotto  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bankruptcy is imminent and the stock has some wild 10% swings. Pull out your magic 8 ball and play the SUNE lotto  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their StockTwits feed has 27,000 watchers and goes non-stop all night, all weekend, and it's full of people hoping to strike it rich by buying at 0.20.  Being long SUNE has been compared by some of those Twits to being in a fistfight, and the stock itself has been compared to a crazy hot ex that you know will burn the shit out of you but you can't walk away

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#40]
You guys into the penny stocks are way more ballsy than me. I get really queasy rolling the dice on anything under $10. My personal preferences are for established companies with known financials and history. I can understand the appeal I guess but its way too much like pulling the handle of a slot machine for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
TRTC for the win! Didn't get them nearly as cheap as hoped but in hindsight it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You guys into the penny stocks are way more ballsy than me. I get really queasy rolling the dice on anything under $10. My personal preferences are for established companies with known financials and history. I can understand the appeal I guess but its way too much like pulling the handle of a slot machine for me.
View Quote

Buying penny stocks is almost always a good way to be a bag holder for someone else.  Someone recommended ATHI back on here a few months ago and now the company is worth a grand total of $600 dollars...total...the entire company...like everything.

It was fictitious then and it's fictitious now.  The only difference is the fiction is worth even less now than when it was first presented.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buying penny stocks is almost always a good way to be a bag holder for someone else.  Someone recommended ATHI back on here a few months ago and now the company is worth a grand total of $600 dollars...total...the entire company...like everything.

It was fictitious then and it's fictitious now.  The only difference is the fiction is worth even less now than when it was first presented.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears we are on the same page
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATHI was great! I profited over 4X what you claim the company is currently worth. Maybe the problem is you're looking at penny stocks incorrectly and what you can specifically achieve with them. Different tools for different jobs, use the correct tool for each application and a much less chance of losing. That said, I've picked some MASSIVE losers haha, not here to argue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
TRTC for the win! Didn't get them nearly as cheap as hoped but in hindsight it didn't matter.
View Quote

Pot stocks are going crazy right now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomorrow is 4/20. Lots of media attention lately as well.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought GRNH at .029 and .037 last month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! solid 3x bagger! 2016 is a weird year for MJ stocks, previously I had always flipped them and never thought twice. This year may be different with all the political attention. A simple agreement made by the powers at be can make a lot of people retire a solid 5-10 years earlier. For the first time in a long time I didn't sell TRTC when I was up decently large gains. May or may not be a mistake? Fortune favors the brave though
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ATHI was great! I profited over 4X what you claim the company is currently worth. Maybe the problem is you're looking at penny stocks incorrectly and what you can specifically achieve with them. Different tools for different jobs, use the correct tool for each application and a much less chance of losing. That said, I've picked some MASSIVE losers haha, not here to argue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATHI was everything I said it was.  It was pure fiction and nothing more than a pump and dump scam.  Bragging about the money you made on said scam does not change that it was a scam.  At the end of the day everything I said was true.  The fictitious company got pumped up briefly before it dumped hard and all of the suckers who weren't in on the bad joke ended up being the bag holders for the people who were.  I just hope that nobody here was dumb enough to be the ones to cash you out by getting in on that garbage.

The entire company was barely worth 5 figures even back when you recommended it.  It had no revenues, no employees, no product, nothing.  Anyone who knows even a little bit about how that kind of scam works knows that it was the perfect candidate stock and they also know that a forum like this with even a handful of naive investors with a few thousand bucks is enough to make the scam work.  The fact that all your posts recommending the stock were completely devoid of actual actionable information other than promises of big returns made it all the more likely that your intentions were shady.  Even worse that you had a position in the stock that represented a significant percentage of the entire "company" prior to making that recommendation.

I'll leave it at that and won't speak on it again.  If the mods can't see it for what it is, then that's their call to make.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Their StockTwits feed has 27,000 watchers and goes non-stop all night, all weekend, and it's full of people hoping to strike it rich by buying at 0.20.  Being long SUNE has been compared by some of those Twits to being in a fistfight, and the stock itself has been compared to a crazy hot ex that you know will burn the shit out of you but you can't walk away

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....and, its gone. Trading halted
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top