Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2015 11:54:19 PM EDT
Like the title says, what they hit you up for one and what did it include?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a friend (boy scout master when i was a kid) ask me to meet him, he is a financial planner/insurance/investment salesmen. He is the financial planner/investment type guy but the company has other guys for the other areas like whole life insurance.

I filled out the initial survey and he was going to assemble a plan for me. Wanted 250 for it. I told him id listen about any products he had to offer but i didnt need a plan.

Not sure what he could assemble that'd be worth 250 unless you are financially ignorant. I have a 40 year plan already made.

Basically all he'd be doing is writing down what i told him to write down.

I met with this guy to be polite but when it comes down to it, he went bankrupt as a farmer and started this in his 50s. Ive done some minor dealings with him on things i liked but there isnt much a bankrupt farmer has to offer in the way of advice.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say that may have actually had a plan done. Personally i think the money would be better spent on some books and time spent at bogleheads. Educate yourself and make your own plan.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Financial planners and stockbrokers are salesmen first.  They make their living selling you stuff that’ll pay them commissions.

Now, print this out and tape it to your refrigerator:

MY FINANCIAL WELLBEING WILL NEVER BE AS IMPORTANT AS MY BROKER’S BOAT PAYMENTS!!

Newsletters like this one, where the advisor couldn’t care less about whether you follow his advice, are your best bet.  He makes money by providing good guidance.  If he screws up, people stop subscribing.  

http://mutualfundinvestorguide.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a friend (boy scout master when i was a kid) ask me to meet him, he is a financial planner/insurance/investment salesmen. He is the financial planner/investment type guy but the company has other guys for the other areas like whole life insurance.

I filled out the initial survey and he was going to assemble a plan for me. Wanted 250 for it. I told him id listen about any products he had to offer but i didnt need a plan.

Not sure what he could assemble that'd be worth 250 unless you are financially ignorant. I have a 40 year plan already made.

Basically all he'd be doing is writing down what i told him to write down.

I met with this guy to be polite but when it comes down to it, he went bankrupt as a farmer and started this in his 50s. Ive done some minor dealings with him on things i liked but there isnt much a bankrupt farmer has to offer in the way of advice.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say that may have actually had a plan done. Personally i think the money would be better spent on some books and time spent at bogleheads. Educate yourself and make your own plan.
View Quote

I never understood the whole charging for a plan, unless the advisor was a pay by the hour type thing. I have ran across those guys, and they tend to offer very little.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Financial planners and stockbrokers are salesmen first.  They make their living selling you stuff that’ll pay them commissions.

Now, print this out and tape it to your refrigerator:

MY FINANCIAL WELLBEING WILL NEVER BE AS IMPORTANT AS MY BROKER’S BOAT PAYMENTS!!

Newsletters like this one, where the advisor couldn’t care less about whether you follow his advice, are your best bet.  He makes money by providing good guidance.  If he screws up, people stop subscribing.  

http://mutualfundinvestorguide.com/
View Quote

LoL, you must have had dealt with a really sharp advisor in the past
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a planner.  He manages all my retirement funds.  He is paid a percentage of assets under management, and it is less than what I would pay elsewhere.  The only way he can make more money is to make me more money.  I can buy products through the firm like term life and long term disability insurance at a discounted rate compared to going to someone outside the firm.  He thinks the same way I do and invests his money in the same stuff.  I can arrange a conference call whenever I need.  When I need help with something, e.g., investment real estate agent, attorney, etc, he has an excellent recommendation.  I could spend time doing the investing myself, but I'm very pleased with my results and having him as as resource is very valuable.  I know if I were to die, he would take care of my wife and family as if it were his own.  For me it's worth every penny.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a planner.  He manages all my retirement funds.  He is paid a percentage of assets under management, and it is less than what I would pay elsewhere.  The only way he can make more money is to make me more money.  I can buy products through the firm like term life and long term disability insurance at a discounted rate compared to going to someone outside the firm.  He thinks the same way I do and invests his money in the same stuff.  I can arrange a conference call whenever I need.  When I need help with something, e.g., investment real estate agent, attorney, etc, he has an excellent recommendation.  I could spend time doing the investing myself, but I'm very pleased with my results and having him as as resource is very valuable.  I know if I were to die, he would take care of my wife and family as if it were his own.  For me it's worth every penny.
View Quote

I'm glad to hear you have a good one

But has he ever charges your for a plan?'
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he is being sarcastic. Read the 2nd to last sentence again. He is trolling or his advisor is actually his wifes first husband and still cares for her.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
He's never charged up outright for a plan.  I pay $395/year for membership in the professional organization.  One of the perks of that is access to the financial planning arm of the organization.  I have them manage my assets and they charge 0.85%, 0.7%, 0.6%, or 0.5% depending on balance.  I'm in the 0.6% until I hit $2,000,000 then it drops to 0.5%.  We do a conference call every 8-12 months just to make sure I'm on track and to deal with any questions I have.  I can do them sooner if I need.  I'm pretty responsible, so I don't need much "correction."  As I said previously, I got my life insurance through them at a good enough discount that it pays my membership fee.  When I have questions I can call and ask, e.g., where do I go with a 529 since I don't get a state income tax break?  Who should I use for an estate planning attorney?  Who do I use to create a business entity?  After maxing out all my retirement accounts, what do I do next?

They are not selling me their own mutual funds or other investment products.  Pretty much everything they put me in is an ETF, unless there is an asset class we feel I need exposure to that is best represented by a mutual fund.  Almost all of my stuff is Schwab ETFs since my employer uses the Schwab Personal Choice Retirement Account for our 401k.  Any fund is no load and no 12b-1 fees.  The insurance products I have purchased through them (LTD and term life) are from major insurers whose names you would recognize.

Looking at what the major brokerages charge for managing your assets, my guy is less.  He's also open to my concerns and willing to change the portfolio model to address any concerns that are well-founded.  He's not going to let me do stupid things, and I recognize that personal finance is his area of expertise and not mine.  I don't appreciate people telling me how to do my job, so I don't tell him.  But I do ask probing questions for which he always has very good, well founded answers.

true cost of fees
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I have considered meeting with a fee only planner a few times. However, I have done well managing my money for the last 25 years so we have not sought any advice from the planner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My wife and I have considered meeting with a fee only planner a few times. However, I have done well managing my money for the last 25 years so we have not sought any advice from the planner.
View Quote

How did you gauge your performance?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Posted by midcap:
View Quote

No, I used to be a stockbroker.  
I quit the business when I noticed that there are honest brokers and brokers who make a good living.
I saw too many brokers who were only interested in getting rich and cared nothing for their clients' interests.

When my manager insisted that I buy a dog of a bond for my clients, just because he was trying to win an inter-office contest, refused and walked out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I quit the business when I noticed that there are honest brokers and brokers who make a good living.
I saw too many brokers who were only interested in getting rich and cared nothing for their clients' interests.

When my manager insisted that I buy a dog of a bond for my clients, just because he was trying to win an inter-office contest, refused and walked out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Posted by midcap:

Just because you worked for a wirehouse doesn't mean they are all the same. You do know you can be an advisor without production levels and quotas right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, midcap, there are independent advisors.  I’m not talking about them.
Every brokerage firm with more than one office has competitions and if they only have one office, brokers inside that office compete.  All sales-driven businesses run contests and have production incentives, anything from bottles of booze to cruises to cars.  That’s the norm.
My point is, if your broker or advisor learns that he can win something he wants if he can jack up his numbers, doing you a good turn won’t be on his mind when he picks up the phone.
I never take investment advice from someone who’s working on commission. I don’t trust them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, midcap, there are independent advisors.  I’m not talking about them.
Every brokerage firm with more than one office has competitions and if they only have one office, brokers inside that office compete.  All sales-driven businesses run contests and have production incentives, anything from bottles of booze to cruises to cars.  That’s the norm.
My point is, if your broker or advisor learns that he can win something he wants if he can jack up his numbers, doing you a good turn won’t be on his mind when he picks up the phone.
I never take investment advice from someone who’s working on commission. I don’t trust them.
View Quote

I knew what you meant, but I wanted to drive the point home that the general public has ZERO clue in the difference between a Wirehouse Rep (Jones included) and a INDY/RIA etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top