Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 12:43:01 AM EDT
($) Markets are a ever changing dynamic. This morning on 06/10/15 "The U.S. Treasury on Monday sold a new government security with a three-month maturity and a yield of zero for the first time on record, reflecting the highest demand since June.
In essence, buyers gave a free short-term loan to the U.S. government in exchange for a highly liquid debt instrument for their portfolio." What might this suggest?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]

I wonder if a fund manager had to buy it to keep their portfolio of government bonds intact to accomodate new investment into their fund. Even CDs have yields of 0.3% right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like high demand from dollars leaving volatile markets
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd also cite 'everyones' thinking that interest rates have nowhere to go but up "chatter" has been faulty forecasting, eeh? iirc Europe's been dealing with negative interest rates recently too, just a thought. That plus no ss COLAS in 16" suggest considering deflationary considerations, but that too is forecasting, time will tell. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd also cite 'everyones' thinking that interest rates have nowhere to go but up "chatter" has been faulty forecasting, eeh? iirc Europe's been dealing with negative interest rates recently too, just a thought. That plus no ss COLAS in 16" suggest considering deflationary considerations, but that too is forecasting, time will tell. Good luck!
View Quote

I don't see why the fed needs to go to negative rates. How would they help the economy by doing so?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it geared for the Europeans who now have NIRP bonds?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
QE  is nothing but negative interest rates. Maybe they are going up to zero % interest.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]

There's not a chance in hell that I'd buy
a Bond issued by the U.S. Treasury.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't see why the fed needs to go to negative rates. How would they help the economy by doing so?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The next Fed offering http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3020-tips-20151015.html?mod=mdc_pastcalendar will be on the secondary market 10/22/15 with a benchmarked offering of 1.119%, thats a negative real rate with standard inflations 3.3% estimated value. How would that help? I'd not speculate on it, I do not know. good luck!
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The next Fed offering http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3020-tips-20151015.html?mod=mdc_pastcalendar will be on the secondary market 10/22/15 with a benchmarked offering of 1.119%, thats a negative real rate with standard inflations 3.3% estimated value. How would that help? I'd not speculate on it, I do not know. good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

negative real rates, I got ya. I thought someone was paying $100.50 for a t bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top