Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2015 2:45:41 PM EDT
From what I understand by reading online, any conversion will be taxed at the normal level (aka, it is included in your income for the year?)

So, if I am converting $2000, I will need to prepare for $2000 extra income this year?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Correct. If the conversion is substatial you need to be prepared to pay quarterly estimated taxes the following year too
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct. If the conversion is substatial you need to be prepared to pay quarterly estimated taxes the following year too
View Quote

It's just 2k.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I transferred the money over.

It was around 2k, but I contributed $200 this year to that amount, meaning when it comes tax time, I only add $1800 to my total income, correct?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was around 2k, but I contributed $200 this year to that amount, meaning when it comes tax time, I only add $1800 to my total income, correct?
View Quote

your roth conversion was 1800 or 2000?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2000.

$200 of that I contributed this year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$2000.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2000.

I see.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this will be accounted for separately on your income tax return, but in effect it will only be an $1800 effect. So you will show $2k in income from your rollover and separately show $200 in IRA contribution that is pre-tax. I think that is how it will work.

We've been rolling around the idea of doing that to my wife's IRA. She had an old 401k from a previous employer that I just rolled into an IRA. I'd love to have it as a Roth, but leaving it alone for now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top