Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2015 5:13:06 PM EDT
Is there something that requires the institution that and IRA is at that you inherited to wait for all beneficiarys to decide on their options and fill out paperwork before any of them get there share?

Waiting on some distributions that my brother seems to be ignoring the paperwork on for now.

(joint named beneficiarys) each get half...... they been sitting on my distribution paperwork for months...
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe all you need is a copy of the will to give to the disbursing person in charge of the account. Just went through it and decided what to do with it a year and a half after Dad passed. 2 others already decided and one still has their share awaiting their decision.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It is not an estate asset, it is an account with named beneficiary's.

Its the bank sitting on things.

J
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
if they have a death cert, make an apt and get your share.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

1500 miles away Next time I am in FL I will if I don't get it before then
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will make dropping by the office after work tricky
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The IRA becomes yours upon death.  You can handle this by mail.  Just provide the (bank) with your instructions and ID.. There are penalties for NOT taking a distribution if the original owner would have been over 70 (i think).  Call the bank.

BTW; do not roll this into your existing IRA.  Tax issues and all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The IRA becomes yours upon death.  You can handle this by mail.  Just provide the (bank) with your instructions and ID.. There are penalties for NOT taking a distribution if the original owner would have been over 70 (i think).  Call the bank.

View Quote

Did all that already. They said they were waiting on my brothers response. Got the feeling they didnt want it half done or something.

It would be subject to minimum distributions and this part of it is small enough I am just going to cash it out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did all that already. They said they were waiting on my brothers response. Got the feeling they didnt want it half done or something.

It would be subject to minimum distributions and this part of it is small enough I am just going to cash it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how much? just remember it's added to your earn earned income.

(THIS IS NOT ADVICE)
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If you turned in everything and requested that the funds be transferred then file a complaint with the institutions regulatory organization (FDIC, SEC, etc.).
Failure to release the funds as requested upon death when claimed amounts to theft.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you turned in everything and requested that the funds be transferred then file a complaint with the institutions regulatory organization (FDIC, SEC, etc.).
Failure to release the funds as requested upon death when claimed amounts to theft.
View Quote

FINRA is the org you are looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top