Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 9:51:05 AM EDT
So how the hell does satisfying a mortgage lower my credit score? My score has hovered just under 800 forever... I don't use much credit or carry a balance on my card which is why I think it never broke 800.. But anyway, my credit card posted my score and it had dropped 70 points....wtf... My ex finally refinanced the house to put in a pool, so the old mortgage which technically still had my name on it was finally closed out. That apparently made my credit score drop, even though I still have a my current mortgage which is in good standing.... WTF. Credit scores are bullcrap.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine never goes over 800 either.  I have no mortgage and own my home.  I have no loans because I paid cash for the truck I have.
I pay for everything with credit cards and pay them off every month to collect the rewards.
From what I understand the reason my score doesn't go up is because I change cards for better rewards.
Short credit history is what they call it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I just applied for a new/backup credit card.

Got dinged for 7 points just for the hard check (expected, but inexplicable).

While looking at my score I noticed that the only 2 things costing my any "points" were my utilization (I never carry a balance, no car loan(s), no mortgage, etc.) and the fact that I had "only" 5 active credit accounts;  it all seems backward to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The messed up system requires that you actually use credit, i.e. carry a balance.  A mortgage is a balance just like a CC balance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The messed up system requires that you actually use credit, i.e. carry a balance.  A mortgage is a balance just like a CC balance.
View Quote

I wouldnt say messed up. A good way to determine responsibility with managing future debt is a history of managing debt.

It baffles me when people act shocked that showing little, less, or no history of managing debt makes their credit score down.

Its called a "credit score" not a "dave ramsey system i paid cash for everything" score.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top