Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 1:44:26 AM EDT
Want to get in the market What is working for you guys? Ive got about 2k I want to put in the market.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you already have?

A solitary recommendation w/o consideration of what you already have is meaningless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
S&P 500 index fund.  Buy symbol SPY.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy more SPY.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A solitary recommendation w/o consideration of what you already have is meaningless.
View Quote

I have nada at the momen. Just watching right now, and reading, and waiting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Buy more SPY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy more SPY.

Why? To both of you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you definitely want (more) SPY.

$2k isn't enough to build a diversified portfolio with; SPY is the answer you seek.

And therein lies your mistake:  how much has the market (i.e. SPY) gone up while you were watching, reading and waiting?

The most important investment decision is to invest now...time is on your side if you put it on your side...unless you are waiting, then not so much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the big gains happen on a small percentage of days. Pick a stable, well rated fund, and start investing. I don't live and die by the Morningstar ratings, but they are better than nothing. The key is to become as educated as possible as an investor as you go. I started not knowing much, and a decade+  later have a respectable portfolio that has had some solid returns. You have to identify things like your long term goals and risk appetite, and how much you want to leverage tax-deferred vehicles. Sometimes, it is better to just pay taxes.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Under Armor (UA)
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Another option would be to find companies with a record of paying an increasing dividend for many years. Buy and set the dividends to buy more shares. Some info.

http://www.dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp

http://www.directinvesting.com/

http://www.dividend-calculator.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
What is your age, what is your risk tolerance, both these should be factors in what you invest in. I have a retirement through my job and am pretty young mid 20's I am putting extra funds into biotech stock they are risky but they also have some of the best returns around. Leveraged ETF"s are another big payout huge risk specifically the 3x. Take a look at Dust and NUGT these trade off of gold when gold goes up 1% NUGT raises 3% and DUST will lose 3% they are inverse funds but you can lose your ass quick. ETF's are designed to be short play you should not hold onto them very long since gains and losses  reset daily. Look at the 6 or 12 month views of DUST and NUGT it is a roller coster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Pick a vanguard index fund and do it.....s&p 500...or the growth index fund are two that come to mind.....the key is just getting started
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]

The Bogleheads here will love this post.

For $2k you do not need diversification.  That is a very small amount of money.  I'd keep it in cash and wait for the next big stock market correction rather than buy stocks right now.  Otherwise I'd use that money to buy things you will need in the future like ammunition, toiletries, etc.  

Yes, all the people who invested in SPY in 2010 look like geniuses right now.  On the other hand the people who bought it in 2000 and 2007 had to wait several years to get a positive return.  

There are differing views right now on the state of the market.  I personally see it as being somewhere between "fully valued" and "bubble."  I haven't found anyone saying it's a great deal at the moment.  

If you don't have a Roth IRA you get one and use it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For $2k you do not need diversification.  That is a very small amount of money.  I'd keep it in cash and wait for the next big stock market correction rather than buy stocks right now.  Otherwise I'd use that money to buy things you will need in the future like ammunition, toiletries, etc.  

Yes, all the people who invested in SPY in 2010 look like geniuses right now.  On the other hand the people who bought it in 2000 and 2007 had to wait several years to get a positive return.  

There are differing views right now on the state of the market.  I personally see it as being somewhere between "fully valued" and "bubble."  I haven't found anyone saying it's a great deal at the moment.  

View Quote

That's good advice as long as you save in the future. My FA told me before everything jumped in price to buy toilet paper etc and being a prepper it wasn't a leap. Needless to say everything jumped in price double in some cases so it was a win.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]
i have about 20 stocks, a lot of energy and financials, oil companies are cheap right now but could stay down a while,

i like wells fargo, its not volatile, no problems with the fed, dependable sleep at night stock
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i have about 20 stocks, a lot of energy and financials, oil companies are cheap right now but could stay down a while,

i like wells fargo, its not volatile, no problems with the fed, dependable sleep at night stock
View Quote

This.  

If I had 2K of cash and years to wait, I would buy energy stocks.  

There are serious values in oil stocks but it will likely be years before they fully recover.  Some are down more than 100%, so the gains would be great...if you can wait.

Look at OAS, RRC, LNCO/LINE, CLR, OXY, CHK...  If you can park it for years, you might get a big return.  LNCO is famous for good dividens but they diluted their share price with a big stock offering recently.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I enthusiastically agree with the parts in bold.

I disagree with keeping it in cash though.  For $2k, he can get started on his education as to "how stocks work" now that way when the next good buying opportunity comes along, he won't still be wet behind the ears.  Most people learn by doing and taking their lumps.  Better now when he has little to risk than later when things could be different.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish I would have put more in Kroger. I got a part time job as a pharmacy tech Jan. 2014. I contributed the max they would match. 3 or 4% from me and I only worked 12-16 hours a week. Had $4 in Jan. 2014. Ended with $450 in Dec. 2014 when I put my 2 weeks in. Haven't put a penny in this year and it's gone from $450 to $600 in the past 3 months. I know, overall it's not a lot of money, but still exciting to see what a 20-25% quarterly interest rate does. I have about $25k in my main 401k with 85% or so in the SP500.

From Jan '14 to now, the Kroger stock increased over 97%.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
IMO, the first thing is to pursue your tax deductible options.  You say that you have nothing.  Then you should start an IRA or similar.  It is a way to avoid paying taxes now (you will then owe taxes on this money when you retire).  Also the gains continue to grow untaxed.  Then you take the tax deduction next year.  Invest while saving on taxes.  Win win.

Then go for an index fund like suggested above or the Diamond fund.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
More general starting advice...

Learn how to save on your taxes with deductions and tax preferred investments.  Invest what you save.
Pay off any debts.  No point in sitting on cash while paying interest.
Use your cash to save money, like buying insurance 6-12 months at a time instead of monthly payments.
Save up to buy a house.  You'll earn equity instead of paying rent and get a large tax deduction each year.
Don't try to time the market.  Invest regularly, smartly and aim for the long game and you can generally ignore market swings.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why? To both of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy more SPY.

Why? To both of you.

Wondering as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wondering as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy more SPY.

Why? To both of you.

Wondering as well.

Maket is doing well; you do well. Safer than individual stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wondering as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy more SPY.

Why? To both of you.

Wondering as well.

Long term its a safe bet. Not all the eggs are in one basket.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.  I understand that, but there are mutual funds and indices who have performed better or at least as well as SPY over the last ten years.  I thought there was something more to it that I might have missed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks.  I understand that, but there are mutual funds and indices who have performed better or at least as well as SPY over the last ten years.  I thought there was something more to it that I might have missed.
View Quote

In my opinion the benefits of going with an index fund vs a managed fund are the lower expense ratio and almost no managed funds beat the index over the long term.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
For now just get into the market. Buying an index fund like SPY gets you there and you don't have to worry about the day to day market valuations.

In fact there is a very good book out there that compared investing in an index fund and someone who day trades. The day traders came out worse than the index funds when you factor in all the fees, taxes, and commissions the day traders had to pay out.

Only invest about 10% or less of your money in speculative trading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top