Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:42:22 PM EDT
Well as stated in the title my 401k service provider is being terminated and my account will be transferred to John Hancock. I just received this notification and have not even had a chance to look at their investment strategies.

I am not asking exactly for someone else to do the heavy lifting but maybe some sound advice, I will be quick to admit that this is out of my comfort zone/knowledge.

So I come to my brothers and sisters of ARFCOM with my hat in hand ready to be schooled.

Thanks

Wrecker1
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Insurance companies masquerading as investment companies often have expensive investment options, typically with rather high loads.  Make sure that you do your homework.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the expense ratios of the funds and ETFs being offered. As noted above, these expenses are often quite high. Fidelity or Vanguard would be a much better and cheaper choice, although I realize you usually don't have a choice for where your 401k lives.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes unfortunately I have no choice in the matter, I hope I can get some research on this before it goes into "blackout".
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
After glossing over the John Hancock site and with me vast non-existent investment knowledge I have came up with what might be some possibles.

1.Natural Resources Fund (JNRAX)  - blood in the streets, buy low, sell high and all that jazz.
2. MSCI World Paper & Forest  
3.Russell 2000 Growth
4.Russell 2000 Value
5. S&P 500 Financials
6. Financial Industries
7. Regional Bank
8. Technical Opportunities
9.Morgan Stanley REIT
10. NASDAQ BIOTECH
11. Russell 3000 Health Care
12. NASDAQ 100

Any suggestions or warnings? This is a newish 401 and has just under $2000.00 my age is 50 and I am willing to roll the dice all the way with this 401k for the foreseeable future.

So any suggestions of where and how much would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After glossing over the John Hancock site and with me vast non-existent investment knowledge I have came up with what might be some possibles.

1.Natural Resources Fund (JNRAX)  - blood in the streets, buy low, sell high and all that jazz.

3.Russell 2000 Growth

4.Russell 2000 Value

5. S&P 500 Financials

6. Financial Industries

7. Regional Bank

9.Morgan Stanley REIT

10. NASDAQ BIOTECH

12. NASDAQ 100
Any suggestions or warnings? This is a newish 401 and has just under $2000.00 my age is 50 and I am willing to roll the dice all the way with this 401k for the foreseeable future.

View Quote
Well, the Russell 2000 is Small Caps. They tend to gain more and lose more in a given year compared to large caps. If you can stomach big swings, they might be ok.

#11 might have potential. Healthcare seems to do well in up and down markets.

#9. REITs tend to be disconnected with the market. They can serve to counterbalance the market, especially when it goes down.

Don't they have any common funds, like an S&P 500, or a Total Stock Index or Total Bond Index? It seems odd they'd be left out. Or, are you just listing some of the more interesting offerings?

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

3.Russell 2000 Growth
4.Russell 2000 Value
5. S&P 500 Financials
6. Financial Industries
7. Regional Bank
9.Morgan Stanley REIT
10. NASDAQ BIOTECH
12. NASDAQ 100

View Quote

If the fees for those funds are higher than your other comparable funds in an IRA or wherever (I believe they typically are), I'd contribute only enough to the 401k to maximize your employer's matching (if available).
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, the Russell 2000 is Small Caps. They tend to gain more and lose more in a given year compared to large caps. If you can stomach big swings, they might be ok.  

#9. REITs tend to be disconnected with the market. They can serve to counterbalance the market, especially when it goes down.

Don't they have any common funds, like an S&P 500, or a Total Stock Index or Total Bond Index? It seems odd they'd be left out. Or, are you just listing some of the more interesting offerings?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.Russell 2000 Growth
4.Russell 2000 Value
5. S&P 500 Financials
6. Financial Industries
7. Regional Bank
9.Morgan Stanley REIT
10. NASDAQ BIOTECH
12. NASDAQ 100

Yes they do have the S&P 500 and a TSI variety, those listed are the best performers from their list of funds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the fees for those funds are higher than your other comparable funds in an IRA or wherever (I believe they typically are), I'd contribute only enough to the 401k to maximize your employer's matching (if available).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.Russell 2000 Growth
4.Russell 2000 Value
5. S&P 500 Financials
6. Financial Industries
7. Regional Bank
9.Morgan Stanley REIT
10. NASDAQ BIOTECH
12. NASDAQ 100

This has been my normal strategy with my current 401k.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I like index funds. They always seem to out preform actively managed funds in the long run and the expense ratios are much lower. It's hard to make money when they take a lot in expenses. I just had to setup my wife's 401k at her new job and I did 70% S&P 500 index and 30% bond index with an auto re-balance each year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Could you explain auto re-balance?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Could you explain auto re-balance?
View Quote

It keeps your holdings to the percentages you select. Say you decided on 70% stocks and 30% bonds but bonds went up and stocks went down so at years end you had 60% stocks and 40% bonds. They will sell bonds and buy stocks to get back to the 70/30 percentages.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, I thought that was what you meant but as I had said earlier I am an investment noob.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know your old selections but I would be upset at those options. Looks like a bank sold a bill of goods to your HR just to capture your contributions and service fees
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know your old selections but I would be upset at those options. Looks like a bank sold a bill of goods to your HR just to capture your contributions and service fees
View Quote

How would you go about getting HR to change this?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

threaten to expose their bribe taking activity to the corporate ethic's officer!  

(lol)
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes they do have the S&P 500 and a TSI variety, those listed are the best performers from their list of funds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.Russell 2000 Growth
4.Russell 2000 Value
5. S&P 500 Financials
6. Financial Industries
7. Regional Bank
9.Morgan Stanley REIT
10. NASDAQ BIOTECH
12. NASDAQ 100

I'd put 70% or so in the S&B500 fund and 30% in a few of the others...Biotech, Healthcare, REIT maybe...just for a little more risk. My company 401k is through Vanguard and our selections are VERY conservative. Basically index funds and target funds. Mine is 70% S&P500 and 30% Vanguard PRIMECAP (actively managed, but still pretty much mimics the market).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top