Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 12:53:51 AM EDT
I am maxing out my tsp annually. I want to start investing in something a little more liquid. I have about 3k on hand. Should i do individual stocks,  a mutual fund with usaa, or?? What should i read or watch to learn more
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Junk silver?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what your TSP holdings are.

A little more S&P500 index via USAA is almost never a bad idea.

ETA:  it's always time to invest.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The TSP has the one of the lowest costs of any investment plan in the country, even lower than many institutions pay. It consists of five Index funds making it perfect for simple asset allocation. They also have L (Target Retirement Funds) for those who want to set it and forget it.

The only problem is that the L fund invests, in my opinion, too much in the Bond Fund (bad if rates rise) and not enough in the totally riskless G fund. It seems that the same risk could be assumed by ignoring the Bond fund and increasing the amount allocated to the Stock funds and the totally riskless G fund.

The G Fund is particularly noteworthy in that it invests exclusively in a nonmarketable short-term U.S. Treasury security that is specially issued to the TSP. It pays interest like a Short Term Treasury Bond Fund buts is guaranteed never to drop in price if interest rates rise.

The I fund (International Fund) only invests in Developed Markets, not Emerging Markets, so if that is a problem, one has to asset allocate the Emerging Market portion elsewhere, perhaps Vanguard Emerging Markets Fund.

I'm not advising you do do anything other than you should first find out what TSP funds options you are in currently. maybe I missed it.
You should investigate what your funds are in, (GFund, LFund, etc???) its not listed in you question. Additionally a ROTH IRA is another good additional tax advantaged option if you qualify, it has particulars, at any low cost custodian. I'd then suggest you read "Bogleheads guide to investing", its a easy read and visit that site too. I hope that helps you moximouse.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The market is near all time high. If you are going to buy stock, buy large cap with stable dividend growth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top